Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

icq users -- anyone? anyone?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

icq users -- anyone? anyone?

Old 03-10-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, does anyone here use icq? almost none of my college friends in the states use it, but almost all of my college friends in asia use it. i don't know just curious.

oh, and for those icq users... do you know how to use the SMS feature? i recently subscribed to powertel, and according to icq, i'm supposed to be able to send messages to my cell phone. no such luck so far, but i think i'm doing something wrong. what exactly is the carrier number and the mobile number?!?

thanks in advance,
Old 03-10-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I refuse to use ICQ as it tends to crash everything in my PC.

Others have had considerably more sucess with it though.
Old 03-10-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh, it crashes plenty on my computer. but i like the real-time chat feature... and i'm just too lazy to convince all of my friends in asia to switch to something else.

i think icq has too many features anyways... and i really doubt if anyone uses 100% of those features.
Old 03-10-01, 08:59 PM

I use icq. never had a crash (win2k and 98se) I only use the instant chat and file transfer features.. Always keep my self invisable unless i want to chat with someone..
Old 03-12-01, 03:24 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
icq slows down my mouse so i get a delayed response ... ... but i like how you can send "instant" messages to those not on line, and they'll get it once they log on ...
Old 03-12-01, 06:21 PM

I've used ICQ almost since the beginning. All of my friends used to use ICQ exclusively but now use AIM- I think for the girls : P

I refuse to go to AIM though......AIM just doesn't seem very good.....no queue of messages!

ICQ 2000 really sucks though
so I still use ICQ98......it's much better (loads super fast) w/o giving much functionality from 2000

Old 03-12-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also like being able to send an off-line msg, that is one thing that drives me nuts about AIM. I keep both running, different friends on different programs. Also if there is a friend who has both, i can send an ICQ msg offline if the person isn't on, instead of having to wait for them to log back on AIM.

-pedagogue

ps. I was one of the original beta testers for ICQ and back then it was alot better. It has gone DOWN HILL the last few upgrades, stupid graphics and too many bells and whistles...and not as stable.
Old 03-12-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree. icq2000b has tried to integrate all forms of internet communication into it's core -- and it's gotten bloated because of it. still, i would like to use some of the added features. the one that makes sense to me is the SMS feature which can reach cell phones.

i would love to be able to receive messages from friends in asia while i'm in class or at work and to be able to do the same to them.

but it seems like almost no one in here uses the SMS feature or subscribes to powertel.