Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hollywood + Mpeg Decoder Question??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hollywood + Mpeg Decoder Question??

Old 02-23-01, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, here's my idea. If anyone could let me know if this would work, I'd appreciate it:
I am building a new computer and will probably get the Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus Decoder card which has a Coaxial Output. But I was wondering if I just purchased a cheap Dolby Digital Receiver and hooked it up to that Output, would it output all my computer sounds or just the sound for DVDs? Because if it output everything, then I could get a set of 5.1 Home speakers and hook those up.

Or my Alternative would be if anyone knows how to hook up a 5th Center channel speaker to the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 with the Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard that doesn't require any rewiring....

Basically I want to get the best DVD setup out of my computer possible. I have a 21" trinitron monitor, So it seems a waste not to use it for DVDs.
Thanks in advance,
Danimal
Old 02-23-01, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the H+ coax output will only pass the stream from your DVD-ROM. You still will need to connect (probably to another input) the sound from your sound card to receiver.
so
output(from pc) input(on receiver)
H+ coax->Video 1
sound card-> video 2

use video 1 to enjoy 5.1 sound when you are playing from the dvd-rom. switch to video2 to hear your regular non-dvd-rom computer sounds.