Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Games that use a joystick?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Games that use a joystick?

Old 02-21-01, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a microsoft sidewinder precision 2 usb joystick from OD cheap. Now i need some ideas for games that will use the joystick.

I usually play roleplaying games so any flight sims would need to be newbie friendly. I am not sure just flying would be fun- a little blowing things up might be nice

My computer specs should handle any game v4 4500 AGP , 512 MB ram ,p3 800e cpu, SB live. I want to buy at least one to play around with the joystick on my last day off on wednesday- demanding huh.

here is a link to the joystick if you need to know feature in order to recommend a game.
http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/dis...10517&x=2&y=10

thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-01, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most gmes you should be able to configure a "keyset" for the joystick, so that pressing various buttons simulates pressing different keys on the keyboard - have a read of the instruction manual and see what your particular joystick can do. You might be able to use this for RPGs, depending on the control system the game uses. Worth a try, anyway.

After that, I personally would recommend you just buy a few magazines and play the games on their coverdisks to see if any of them take your fancy. Since most stores don't accept returns on computer games, it's probably the best way to make sure you don't get landed with a dud game that you can't stand.
Old 02-21-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks that is a good idea. I forgot the game mags come with the disks since my free subscriptions never get them . yes the joystick has 16 programmable functions. So it might work on RPG's after all.may be the best 15 bucks i have ever spent
Old 02-23-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Rogue Squadron 3d is an older game, but it supports gamepads and josticks. It's a fun arcade style flight shooter thats easy to get into. It's really the only game I use my Sidewinder gamepad with.