Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

streaming speed issue

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

streaming speed issue

Old 01-17-22, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
streaming speed issue

I stream my tv through an amazon firestick and the max speed I can get here is 12 mbs. When it is working at that speed things are fine. The problem is it varies from 6-12 so I experience buffering. The thing is, the speed to my PC is always 12. The PC is hard wired to the modem through an ethernet cable. The modem and router are in one box. Its a netgear D2200D thats about 10 years old I think. I have it in the same room as the tv, about 15 feet away. My question is can I do anything to modify the router for better performance? I own it so if I destroy it its no big deal. Or has technology improved in the last 10 years where I can just buy a better quality modem/router? Or can my issue be somewhere else?
Old 01-17-22, 08:05 PM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: streaming speed issue

Your modem/router is capable of 300Mbps and is only 2.4Ghz, but you should be able to get 3x what you’re seeing, at least on your wired PC. What speed is your DSL? Is your PC configured to use GB ethernet? Do you have the right ethernet cable? Is the PC doing anything when you’re streaming?
Old 01-17-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Yes, Upgrade your router to one which supports 802.11ac and the 5 Ghz band. By so doing, your speeds shoud significantly increase. Again, what is your downstream link speed with your ISP? Find this out before the upgrade. But, these days, it should by much, much greater than 12mbps.
Old 01-18-22, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 604 Likes on 488 Posts

His downstream speed is capped at 12 mbps. That said, I've never had a combo modem/wireless router that actually kept good connectivity for more than a couple of years, so I would at the very least get a new Wireless router, you probably don't need to get anything fancy or expensive.
Old 01-19-22, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
His downstream speed is capped at 12 mbps. That said, I've never had a combo modem/wireless router that actually kept good connectivity for more than a couple of years, so I would at the very least get a new Wireless router, you probably don't need to get anything fancy or expensive.
...even so, the days of $20 routers are long gone. Years ago, you could find an 802.11n router for $19 at places like Fry's. Now, even the cheapest routers cost $79 and $99, because of all the newer 802.x protocol support, and greed.