DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/654176-verizons-next-consumer-unfriendly-step.html)

Kevin Phillips 11-08-21 12:52 PM

Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
At home, I have internet through Verizon FIOS. A long time ago, Verizon bought AOL and forced all their Verizon users to switch their email over to the AOL mail-servers. Not only was that a pain in the ass, but we now get spam from AOL (but it was easy enough block). Now, on to the next level of consumer-unfriendly bullshit. I got an email from them because I use Thunderbird for email. Starting December 7th, an interesting choice of dates, they are switching to a more "secure" method of email, and encourage me to try out their AOL email app. They are graciously providing hoops we can jump through to continue using non-AOL apps, but it is obvious they are making it annoying/difficult enough they hope people will give up and switch to their app. I've stuck with my old Verizon email address out of inertia and laziness, but it is time to jump ship to something a little less awful.

Josh-da-man 11-08-21 06:40 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
Use gmail, hotmail, or protonmail. (Though I'd gravitate toward the former two since I don't think google or Microsoft will be going away any time in the near future. Can't say the same for for Proton, though it seems to be associated with CERN.)

This day and age, I can't imagine using an e-mail address from an ISP. I think most of us need to have an e-mail address that can travel with us when we switch providers.


fujishig 11-08-21 07:10 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14009242)
Use gmail, hotmail, or protonmail. (Though I'd gravitate toward the former two since I don't think google or Microsoft will be going away any time in the near future. Can't say the same for for Proton, though it seems to be associated with CERN.)

This day and age, I can't imagine using an e-mail address from an ISP. I think most of us need to have an e-mail address that can travel with us when we switch providers.

Some places won't accept email addresses that come from "free" providers, though. That's the only reason I still use my ancient provider-supplied email.

Kevin Phillips 11-08-21 08:26 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
Thanks. Like I said in the original post, I've just kept using my Verizon e-mail out of inertia and laziness. Just have to decide where to go, and then start the real work of pointing all my online accounts to the new email address.

Josh-da-man 11-08-21 11:38 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14009260)
Some places won't accept email addresses that come from "free" providers, though. That's the only reason I still use my ancient provider-supplied email.

I've been using gmail since 2005 (back when you needed an invitation to sign up for it) and have never had a problem with it being accepted.

I also have a couple of junk hotmail and protonmail accounts to sign up for stuff I don't want to give my real e-mail to, and I've never been denied.

zyzzle 11-09-21 07:40 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 14009370)
I've been using gmail since 2005 (back when you needed an invitation to sign up for it) and have never had a problem with it being accepted.

I also have a couple of junk hotmail and protonmail accounts to sign up for stuff I don't want to give my real e-mail to, and I've never been denied.

Same, I think I got Gmail way back in 2004. I've never had problems with it not being accepted by any sites. I don't know where a gmail account wouldn't be accepted. Give some examples, for I have none after 17 years of use.

As much as I currently dislike Google, they do e-mail extremely well. Of course I know they harvest everything to Big Data, and every message is an open forum for their bots and algorithms, but that's pretty much true with *everything* online these days. In other words, there's no longer any such thing as privacy with any e-mail account. I never write anything in an e-mail that I wouldn't mind was published in a newspaper, open for all to survey.

fujishig 11-09-21 09:04 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 14009438)
Same, I think I got Gmail way back in 2004. I've never had problems with it not being accepted by any sites. I don't know where a gmail account wouldn't be accepted. Give some examples, for I have none after 17 years of use.

As much as I currently dislike Google, they do e-mail extremely well. Of course I know they harvest everything to Big Data, and every message is an open forum for their bots and algorithms, but that's pretty much true with *everything* online these days. In other words, there's no longer any such thing as privacy with any e-mail account. I never write anything in an e-mail that I wouldn't mind was published in a newspaper, open for all to survey.

I've only encountered this once or twice, with the neogaf forums (and the successor site once crap hit the fan, resetera), which are both, well, outdated forums. But I think there are other forums that don't let you use gmail/hotmail/yahoo because of how easy it is to create an account and spam. That was a while ago, though.

TheBang 11-10-21 01:33 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
Yeah, honestly, it's really difficult for anyone to reject Gmail addresses because that means you'd be excluding like 30% of potential visitors.

But, I agree, you should definitely ditch ISP-provided email.

zyzzle 11-11-21 07:43 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
I haven't had ISP-based e-mail since the days that I was still using a dial-up SLIP account! That's 25 years ago or longer...

Eric F 11-21-21 06:35 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
I remember when Comcast and Verizon were offering both email and Usenet servers. Those days are long gone.

tonyc3742 11-21-21 08:39 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
I forget what brought it up, but I started trying to explain Usenet to my son the other day. We didn't get far. I miss Usenet :(
I still 'have' ISP email because they give it but I don't use it. Actually, amazingly, last time I logged into my Road Runner email on the server, my email was still live (and full of spam/junk). I haven't had TWC broadband in about a decade.
Switching from my ISP email to gmail was not nearly as tough/annoying as I thought it was going to be.
Gmail is such a standard, any site that rejects gmail accounts is blocking a ton of potential customers.

edit: My RR email is still alive. It had gotten locked after 6 months of no use, but now that I logged in, it's unlocked again. So much junk, and a whole lot of spam/phishing.

edit2: Wow, ISP and non-gmail web interfaces are awful and slow.

Kevin Phillips 11-22-21 06:08 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
Usenet is a shadow of what it was in the 90's, but it isn't dead. I still browse some of the groups, like comp.lang.c. eternal-september.org is a good, free news server

Philly30 11-22-21 05:39 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14009260)
Some places won't accept email addresses that come from "free" providers, though. That's the only reason I still use my ancient provider-supplied email.

I have more problems like that with my Comcast email than Gmail

zyzzle 11-22-21 07:47 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 (Post 14015561)
I forget what brought it up, but I started trying to explain Usenet to my son the other day. We didn't get far. I miss Usenet :(

Usenet is still around, although traffic is about 1/1000th of what it used to be back in the golden days ('80s and early '90s). I still post to a few groups. It is nice dealing in all-ASCII text, without the bullshit (Javascript, ads, "fancy" hipster, bloated sites, and needless fluff). Sadly, it is mostly used nowadays as a funnel / launderer of pirated software through the binaries groups.

GatorDeb 11-22-21 08:38 PM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
Why don't you get a gmail address and set it up so that all your aol email is forwarded there? No need to get Verizon involved.

Kevin Phillips 11-23-21 06:24 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 14016004)
Why don't you get a gmail address and set it up so that all your aol email is forwarded there? No need to get Verizon involved.

I probably will. But I'm getting old and curmudgeonly and want to do what old people do best: complain. :D

Kevin Phillips 12-09-21 07:45 AM

Re: Verizon's next consumer-unfriendly step
 
I was waiting to see what Verizon/AOL's change would be. The change hit my wife's email this morning, but hasn't affected mine yet. It will not let us use our regular password to check email. In order to use non-AOL email clients, she has to login to the webmail interface and have it generate unique, per-application, passwords. My wife's email is relatively easy because she accesses her email using Outlook on a laptop, and the Samsung email app on her cell phone. OTOH, I have two Verizon/AOL email address. And they are accessed using Thunderbird on two different PCs. I also use the builtin email app on my phone, and the builtin email app on my tablet.

I need to get off my butt and switch over to a non-ISP mail provider.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.