DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   My 7-year old hard drive is dying. New drive or new computer? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/654111-my-7-year-old-hard-drive-dying-new-drive-new-computer.html)

Nick Danger 10-30-21 09:57 AM

My 7-year old hard drive is dying. New drive or new computer?

My computer is a Dell Optiplex from 2014. The hard drive sounds like a bad bearing. Should I get a new computer or a new hard drive? I'm leaning toward getting a new computer, but it's been seven years and I don't even know where to start.

morriscroy 10-30-21 10:19 AM

Re: My 7-year old hard drive is dying. New drive or new computer?

If you don't know how to install the operating system again from scratch (ie. dvd backup disc, flash drive, etc ....), then you are better off just buying a new computer.

Replacing parts in an old computer with an equivalent current model parts is a minefield. Older parts might have stopped being manufactured many years ago, where equivalent newer current models might have issues with older hardware and/or unmaintained software/drivers.

morriscroy 10-30-21 10:42 AM

With all that being said, a 7+ year old computer is likely showing its age by now. Better off just buying a new computer, than dealing with further headaches of 2013 era (or older) computer tech.

More generally, I'll usually buy a new computer about every 6 years or so. Even if my main 6+ year old computer is still in perfect working order and has not died.

morriscroy 10-30-21 10:52 AM

For example in my current situation, my main desktop computer is going on 5 years or so and doesn't appear to be easily updateable to Windows11. This current machine will likely remain Windows10 and never updated to 11.

I'll likely be waiting for another year or so, to see what is viable as a replacement new computer with Windows11 (installed at the factory). No point in trying to "jerry rig" my current desktop to install Windows11 by other means (ie. changing registry settings, etc ....).

rduncan 10-30-21 11:19 AM

With everything said, and if you have stuff on the drive you want/need be sure to back up/copy your data to some external drive ASAP. If necessary you can also save some stuff to google drive for free but I can't recall the maximum space allowed unless you pay for more.

Nick Danger 10-30-21 12:38 PM

Thanks. I did a backup to an external drive last night.

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 10-30-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14004986)
For example in my current situation, my main desktop computer is going on 5 years or so and doesn't appear to be easily updateable to Windows11. This current machine will likely remain Windows10 and never updated to 11.

I'll likely be waiting for another year or so, to see what is viable as a replacement new computer with Windows11 (installed at the factory). No point in trying to "jerry rig" my current desktop to install Windows11 by other means (ie. changing registry settings, etc ....).

youíre lucky itís 5 years old. My computer is less than 2 years old and doesnít support windows11, officially at least.

As for the op, just get a new computer. 7 years is a good run.

X 10-30-21 01:28 PM

What do you do with the computer? Browsing and email? More CPU intensive tasks such as Photoshop?

Nick Danger 10-30-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by X (Post 14005048)
What do you do with the computer? Browsing and email? More CPU intensive tasks such as Photoshop?

Browsing and email. Once a month or so I'll do photo manipulation using an old version of Iphoto Plus. Occasional Netflix. That's basically it.

I just want to have enough USB ports for microphone, camera, mouse, keyboard, and printer. Our laptop has two ports.

Josh-da-man 10-30-21 04:08 PM

You could replace the HD. Clone your old HD to the new HD and swap them out. But at seven years old, you'll probably have more things go wrong, so you'll probably be looking at a new computer anyway.

I have a Dell Studio laptop from 2010 that still runs great. I replaced the HD with a SSD a couple of years ago; it's my only Windows 7 machine and I want to keep it as long as I can. Don't use it often, though. I've never reinstalled the OS, and the thing boots up faster than my Windows 10 machine. (It does tend to overheat, though that is mitigated by placing plastic soda bottle caps behind the rear feet to elevate it. But even then, it hasn't overheated since I put in the SSD.)

Nick Danger 10-30-21 05:33 PM

Then I'll buy a new computer. Anyone have a suggestion on which way to go? The last time I bought one, I got whatever Dell had that looked good to me.

X 10-30-21 06:04 PM

As a price point you should take a look at this $220 desktop I bought when it was available. It came with a terabyte mechanical drive that I replaced with a SSD. I'm surprised how fast it is, evidently the i3 CPU in it is the same as the previous generation's i5. And it's the only computer I have that says it's ready for Windows 11.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-slimline-2...9SIAKVUDXF9803

The description says refurbished but it was brand new, just repackaged. I'm seeing a lot of HPs like that lately. Amazon has them too.

Here's AMD versions:
https://www.newegg.com/hp-slimline-2...9SIAKVUAGF0535
https://www.newegg.com/hp-slimline-2...9SIAKVUE404535

Nick Danger 10-31-21 11:48 AM

Anyone have an opinion about this computer? HP Pavilion 790 i3-8100. I would buy another 8GB RAM.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-7...9SIADFRDAY0206

jpcamb 10-31-21 01:33 PM

I'm not an expert so I can't weigh in on that machine but I would say you will benefit from a wireless mouse and keyboard as well as a wireless printer. that eliminates the need for 3 USB ports. Also, beware that USB C is becoming more prevalent so don't be surprised to need a C port down the road. My new iPhone came with a USB c cable which is faster than the older USB style and has the benefit of not needing to be oriented a specific way thus making it easier to plug into the port.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse keyboard combo and need a battery for it about every 6 months, possibly longer it was only about $20

X 10-31-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 14005319)
Anyone have an opinion about this computer? HP Pavilion 790 i3-8100. I would buy another 8GB RAM.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-7...9SIADFRDAY0206

Why do you prefer that form factor over the one i linked? And why do you need 16GB for what you do with it?

Nick Danger 10-31-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by X (Post 14005361)
Why do you prefer that form factor over the one i linked? And why do you need 16GB for what you do with it?

I looked at computers with the same processor for under $300 and that came up. It's nothing more complicated than that.

I figured that I should buy memory now to future-proof it. Is that no longer necessary?

X 10-31-21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 14005376)
I looked at computers with the same processor for under $300 and that came up. It's nothing more complicated than that.

I figured that I should buy memory now to future-proof it. Is that no longer necessary?

I donít think you would need more than 8GB for your purposes.

Here's the same one from Amazon:

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 11-01-21 08:55 AM

I would recommend an ssd, it will be significantly faster. You can have a secondary mechanical drive

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 11-01-21 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14005359)
I'm not an expert so I can't weigh in on that machine but I would say you will benefit from a wireless mouse and keyboard as well as a wireless printer. that eliminates the need for 3 USB ports. Also, beware that USB C is becoming more prevalent so don't be surprised to need a C port down the road. My new iPhone came with a USB c cable which is faster than the older USB style and has the benefit of not needing to be oriented a specific way thus making it easier to plug into the port.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse keyboard combo and need a battery for it about every 6 months, possibly longer it was only about $20

for sure usb c is pretty standard these days. You can always add a usb c pcie card though for not too much, provided you have a slot free.

Josh-da-man 11-01-21 10:20 AM

Aren't most wireless mice/mouses and keyboards bluetooth these days, and don't require a USB port? (At least on Windows 10+)

Hell, a lot of laptops don't even have USB-A ports these days.

fujishig 11-01-21 10:53 AM

Dang, I just looked it up and I built this computer like 8 years ago. "7 years is a good run for a computer" is kind of depressing to me, unless you play a lot of games on it or something. Man.

Nick Danger 11-01-21 03:36 PM

Thank you all. You've been a great help. :)

kd5 11-01-21 04:26 PM

I've never liked Hewlett Packard computers. HP pre-installs more crapware than any other brand computer I've ever worked on, and half of it wants to run at startup.. If you don't mind doing a lot of cleanup, then HP is your PC. For my money, I'd buy either a Dell or an ASUS. Acer tends to install a lot of crap too (didn't used to). Hell, they all do. It's just that Dell seems to be more dependable than most. I like ASUS stuff. If I wanted an off-the-shelf computer, I'd be more inclined to see what ASUS had to offer. Dell would be my second choice, HP would be my last. I bought ASUS Vivobook 17's (laptops) for my wife and I because I didn't have the money to spend upgrading the desktops that I built several years ago. I like them.

X 11-01-21 04:54 PM

No crapware came with the refurbished HP I bought. Just a clean OS.

I've come to like HP computers even though I never considered them in the past. I also have a great HP touchscreen laptop that is probably 4-5 years old now and it's still a real pleasure to work with.

Nick Danger 11-01-21 06:57 PM

The refurbished HP computers at Newegg where X directed me are advertised as being clean of bloatware.