DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Decent/good, basic, desktop PC with enough memory? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/654050-decent-good-basic-desktop-pc-enough-memory.html)

OldBoy 10-20-21 07:48 PM

Decent/good, basic, desktop PC with enough memory?

So, i am not in market and haven't been following anything PC related since i am perfectly fine with my antiquated 12 or so old year Dell Inspirion model, maybe more.

But, my mom needs a new PC, that is simple, Windows whatever, can easily transfer stuff from old to new with a lot of memory or at least more than the 500GB she has now. Desktop. All-in-one would be perfect with only couple USB ports is fine. All she really uses for is internet, Facebook, AOL email, Yahoo, etc. very light and downloading and playing with pictures she takes with digital cameras. does need Bluetooth to connect easily to printer and fax machine.

What's good with decent price and good memory that she could get on Amazon? Thanks.

And since i will have to do all set up, can i transfer her programs from old to new PC? i don't remember doing that when i did many moons ago for me, but think i had to re-download every program again...

RichC2 10-21-21 09:14 AM

Re: Decent/good, basic, desktop PC with enough memory?

Storage and Memory are two different things. You can get a $700 AIO that will meet her needs and has 1TB of hdd space, but it'll be a mechanical drive. I'd recommend getting a system with a 512gb SSD or larger and maybe buy her a separate USB drive to back up her files.

Either way, just pick something that's Core I3, Core I5, Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5 based, has at least 8 GB of memory and 512gb of storage.

IE:

TheBang 10-21-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14000687)
And since i will have to do all set up, can i transfer her programs from old to new PC? i don't remember doing that when i did many moons ago for me, but think i had to re-download every program again...

I've used PCmover Express in the past, and it worked really well for transferring all profiles, settings, and files seamlessly over to the new computer. You have to reinstall applications on the new computer, though.

https://go.laplink.com/pcmover-express-50-off

PCmover Express was the official Microsoft-endorsed solution for Windows 10 migrations. It used to be free, but that offer ended earlier this year. It might be worth the $15, so that you can have something that you know works without any headaches or extra effort.

OldBoy 10-21-21 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14000858)
Storage and Memory are two different things. You can get a $700 AIO that will meet her needs and has 1TB of hdd space, but it'll be a mechanical drive. I'd recommend getting a system with a 512gb SSD or larger and maybe buy her a separate USB drive to back up her files.

Either way, just pick something that's Core I3, Core I5, Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5 based, has at least 8 GB of memory and 512gb of storage.

IE:
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCe...id=13896603011
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088HFS3M5...66b7171fe&th=1

so the 512 SSD is more internal storage than the 500GB she already has and will be more than enough to store thousands of photos and she has some music too? Not a lot of music, but her pc sux and is slow and won’t even download her pics from camera anymore Bc she gets low storage msg or something. Thanks Rich and Bang.

RichC2 10-21-21 09:23 PM

500gb is more or less identical to 512gb

So not really, the system will be faster but I'd recommend getting her a 4 tb external desktop USB hdd to store more of her photos.

OldBoy 10-22-21 02:42 PM

^ Rich, thanks, but can’t go anything external. She has trouble with 32GB flash drives so it just has to be all in one type thing with good internal memory storage. Thanks though for all.

Sonic 10-22-21 03:33 PM

Dual drives is what momma needs. SSD to start computer and store programs and SATA for storage of anything. Also those monitors with all in one are convinient but if monitor messes up it's impending doom. Anything over $800 is overkill. For what your momma does she don't need nothing lavish.

OldBoy 10-29-21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 14001066)
I've used PCmover Express in the past, and it worked really well for transferring all profiles, settings, and files seamlessly over to the new computer. You have to reinstall applications on the new computer, though.

https://go.laplink.com/pcmover-express-50-off

PCmover Express was the official Microsoft-endorsed solution for Windows 10 migrations. It used to be free, but that offer ended earlier this year. It might be worth the $15, so that you can have something that you know works without any headaches or extra effort.

any free programs? she is not a big spender.

Also, there is one that seems similar, but $120 vs $30. Why such a high vs low price? I saw the high price on zinstall.com.

i know with $120 it’s one time, but didn’t know about the one you linked…

morriscroy 10-30-21 10:27 AM

If you don't want to spend any cash moving any files over, the only other way is doing it by hand via external hard drives or flash drives.

If you know what you are doing, it may very well be easier to just start from a blank slate on a new computer and adjust the settings on the first login.

OldBoy 10-30-21 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14004980)
If you don't want to spend any cash moving any files over, the only other way is doing it by hand via external hard drives or flash drives.

If you know what you are doing, it may very well be easier to just start from a blank slate on a new computer and adjust the settings on the first login.

ok, what i want to know is how do i wipe my mom's old pc so i can use? i tried to factory reset, but told me i need a disc.obviosuly she doesnt have a disc or anything for old pc. i want to wipe completely, start from scratch and use one of those above mentioned programs and transfer from my old to this new, mom's old. can i wipe some other way? thanks again for all, everyone.

morriscroy 10-30-21 02:44 PM

There's always the old fdisk and format commands which are executed from a command-line prompt. Back in the day, I kept a bootable floppy which had fdisk and format on it to wipe out and reformat an old hard drive.

Unless you're formating such a hard drive by physically taking it out of the old computer and plugging it into another computer, most likely it will involve a bootable flash drive with whatever modern fdisk/format tools are available nowadays. There is no easy way to do this which is idiot-proof.

OldBoy 10-30-21 04:30 PM

So, there is no easy way to do this without a boot disc or not having to take stuff apart? A simple erase program on internet?

morriscroy 10-30-21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14005106)
So, there is no easy way to do this without a boot disc or not having to take stuff apart? A simple erase program on internet?

This is one of those cases of "if you have to ask, then don't bother".

:brickwl2:

OldBoy 10-30-21 04:58 PM

I don’t understand. I want to bother and simply erase completely a pc…

morriscroy 10-30-21 05:02 PM

Not likely to find a simple erase program online, unless you catch a computer virus designed for deliberate destruction of a hard drive.

;)

The Cow 10-30-21 05:19 PM

This is the one case where I would recommend the Geek Squad service.

morriscroy 10-30-21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 14005120)
This is the one case where I would recommend the Geek Squad service.

..... or find a local friend who knows how to use such fdisk/format tools properly and can reinstall operating systems

GeekSquad or other services seem to be highly variable, who can be completely inept incompetants if there's nobody proficient available for a particular issue.

OldBoy 10-30-21 06:48 PM

GeekSquad, really? Aren’t they buffoons? Do they charge arm and leg? I just want it wiped at reasonable price…

X 10-30-21 07:10 PM

There should be plenty of free disk wipers out there. I know I have some and I never paid for any.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-d...ograms-2626174

OldBoy 10-30-21 07:22 PM

Thanks. I’ll try.

morriscroy 10-30-21 07:25 PM

If you have an old computer which you are willing to use as a "sacrificial lamb" to figure out how to reinstall the operating system, then by all means figure it out by trial and error.

(ie. An extra computer which you are willing to take a chance of turning into a useless "brick" by your own hands + actions).

OldBoy 10-30-21 07:27 PM

The only Lamb I have is the movie I rented and hopefully watch later tonight.

morriscroy 10-30-21 07:30 PM

That's what I did back in the day, when I use to install different operating systems on various old junk computers I had. (Other operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, etc ...).

It took me several tries and botched/bricked setups, until I could figure out how to do it.

OldBoy 10-30-21 07:36 PM

I do not have any to practice on.

zyzzle 10-31-21 06:21 PM

The obstacle is, you either need a bootable USB memory stick with a fresh ISO copy of Windows 10 on it, which when booted can wipe out the hard drive (format) and reinstall Windows, or another hard drive on which to do this new install, while keeping the data intact on the old hard drive, and then booting that fresh new hard drive into Windows and then migrating the old data over from the old hard drive. This involves opening the computer and hooking up the new hard drive. There's no way to reformat from within your boot OS's drive, keep the data, and reinstall it all from the same drive to the same drive. There needs to be some backup of the old data first, either to USB memory stick, or to another partition you make on that old drive. And, if the old drive is full and fragmented, creating a new partition to copy the data over to while formatting your primary boot partition on that same drive probably isn't even possible....

It gets complicated very, very quicky.

Personally, I suggest you download a fresh Windows 10 .iso, create a bootable USB memory stick containing that virgin copy of Windows 10 with a program called Rufus, boot that USB memory stick, and just format the drive and install a fresh Windows and reinstall everything from scratch by downloading the programs which you need.