Reload this Page >

Canon class action lawsuit

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-21, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

It sounds like Canon all-in-one (printer & scanner) have a neat "feature" that disables scanning when the printer is low on ink. So there's now a class action lawsuit. I hope they rip Canon a new one.

There are lots of links out there. Here's one of them:
Gizmodo

The following users liked this post:
Sonic (10-20-21)
Old 10-19-21, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Received 629 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: Canon class action lawsuit

Yeah, I read about that. Pretty stupid thing to do.
Old 10-20-21, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

I would wager that scanners are so seldom used these days that

1) The guy who is suing them is probably the first one notice.

2) I'm surprised Canon even bothered to include this "feature."
Old 10-20-21, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you're right with respect to home users. But I bet they are popular with many home businesses and small businesses, where there are probably all kinds of things that have to be scanned.
Old 10-20-21, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Plantiffs, enjoy your $1 checks and "valuable" coupons for 10% off replacement ink cartriges, while the lawyers rake in $5 million from this farce..

Really, laser printing is the way to go, and has been for decades now. Inkjets are terribly expensive throwaway products because it'll cost you more to replace the 6 "required" ink cartridges than to just purchase a brand new printer. Rinse and repeat this rubbish and corporate bad stewardship of scarce resources in the name of a dirty quick buck.
PhantomStranger (10-20-21)
Old 10-20-21, 08:06 AM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

I worked for a major printer company in a previous life, and I was disturbed to find out that the low and high end versions of one printer was a line of code that throttled the page per minute performance in half, otherwise, they were identical. That line of code was a $200 price difference.
WKRP (11-15-21)
Old 10-20-21, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,041 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Plantiffs, enjoy your $1 checks and "valuable" coupons for 10% off replacement ink cartriges, while the lawyers rake in $5 million from this farce..

Really, laser printing is the way to go, and has been for decades now. Inkjets are terribly expensive throwaway products because it'll cost you more to replace the 6 "required" ink cartridges than to just purchase a brand new printer. Rinse and repeat this rubbish and corporate bad stewardship of scarce resources in the name of a dirty quick buck.
While laser jet printing is a lot more efficient, when you do have to refill man are they expensive.

Didn't one company (maybe even canon) come out with a "revolutionary" printer that allowed you to refill your own cartridges?
Old 10-20-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I worked for a major printer company in a previous life, and I was disturbed to find out that the low and high end versions of one printer was a line of code that throttled the page per minute performance in half, otherwise, they were identical. That line of code was a $200 price difference.
Yeah, that's been going on for a while. I remember reading, a long time ago, a story about a company that had an IBM punch card system that needed repair. After the tech left, they noticed the punch card system was running about 2x as fast as it used to. When they happened to mention it to their IBM rep., the technician came back, turned a screw, and the punch card system went back to its normal speed. That setting was the only difference between the regular punch card reader and their upgraded version.
Old 10-20-21, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Yeah, that's been going on for a while. I remember reading, a long time ago, a story about a company that had an IBM punch card system that needed repair. After the tech left, they noticed the punch card system was running about 2x as fast as it used to. When they happened to mention it to their IBM rep., the technician came back, turned a screw, and the punch card system went back to its normal speed. That setting was the only difference between the regular punch card reader and their upgraded version.
This was IBM also, pre-Lexmark days.
Old 10-20-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
While laser jet printing is a lot more efficient, when you do have to refill man are they expensive.
Yeah, but in the long run, aren't you better off with the laser because by the time you need to replace the toner in your printer, you would have spent a lot more on inkjet cartridges to print the same number of pages?

Old 10-20-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

Didn't one company (maybe even canon) come out with a "revolutionary" printer that allowed you to refill your own cartridges?
Yes, that's Epson, I believe, and their "Ecotank" printers. Surprise, surprise, these printers start at $250 (about 2.5 - 3x more than other printers with 4 to 6 ink cartridges!) but have huge refillable cartridges which the company *claims* will last thousands of pages and are easy to refill. I've no experience with them, but would be wary.

And yeah, that single line of code "difference" has been going on for probably decades at this point. Many of these things have been reverse-engineered and hacked fimware has been made available to "unlock" the products. That's why I always, with very rare exceptions, get the "lowest-end" tier of any modern electronic product (TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD-drives, printers, CPUs, motherboards, etc) and hack my way into "freeing up" the software walled garden / artificial limitations. Try it, you'll like it. Give a big FUCK YOU to some of those companies!
Old 10-30-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 233 Posts

Many buy inkjet printers for printing photos/images. Laserjet isn't as good for that.

It's annoying when inkjet printers wont allow you to even print regular text because you ran out of some other colour. You have enough black ink, but because you ran out of cyan - you can't print at all.
Canon's gone one step further disabling the whole piece of hardware even though you don't need any ink at all.

The whole printer market is a scam.
Old 10-30-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 400 Likes on 314 Posts

We have a laser printer/scanner/fax from Brother that has been great. Yeah, it doesn't print in colour, but for how often we need/want to print colour, we just do that at Costco or Staples.

Toner isn't cheap, but not crazy expensive ($66CDN). We've only had to buy it once in at least 8 years.
Old 10-30-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
We have a laser printer/scanner/fax from Brother that has been great. Yeah, it doesn't print in colour, but for how often we need/want to print colour, we just do that at Costco or Staples.

Toner isn't cheap, but not crazy expensive ($66CDN). We've only had to buy it once in at least 8 years.
Does it generate a lot of "ozone" smell while in operation?
Old 10-30-21, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Not that I've noticed. It's just through a doorway but only about 6 feet away, so I expect I would've smelled it.

I'll look out for it next time I print.
Old 10-30-21, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

See if there is generic toner, itís way cheaper
Old 10-30-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
See if there is generic toner, itís way cheaper
I'll keep that in mind, although, at the rate we're going through it, we probably won't need it for at least 6 years. There's about 60% left, and we've had this one since June 2017.
Old 10-31-21, 01:34 AM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I'll look out for it next time I print.

"Listen! Do you smell something?!"

Old 10-31-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a black-and-white Xerox laser-printer because I wanted to avoid all the ink bulls---. We bought the printer pre-COVID, but since the pandemic hit, we have been using it a lot more than we used to for work and home and printing my son's school assignments. Toner cartridges ain't cheap, but the price/page can be reasonable. The standard toner cartridge for this printer is rated for 2,600 pages and cost $127, which comes to $0.0488/page. If I get the high-capacity toner for $254, the price per page is $0.0277/page.

There is still price gouging with laser-printers with respect to accessories. An extra sheet feeder is $200. The retail price for a 256MB memory expansion board for the printer is something like $600! Which is beyond insane, since the printer itself only cost about $300. The memory board looks like it may be a standard 144-pin DDR2 SODIMM, which you can buy for under $15.
Old 10-31-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

I had one of those Cannon all-in-one printers and needed to scan things all the time for my previous job and got hit by that bullshit to being able to scan on low ink issue a couple of times. Really pissed me off at the time but I never considered a class action lawsuit. Not worth it to me to sign up and join this as I can expect a check for 1.28 in two years or so.