Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible to auto on / off TV when used as a PC monitor?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-21, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a 23" Samsung TV sitting around & decided to replace my smaller Phlips PC monitor with it. The picture quality on the Samsung is much better than the Philips but the power button for the Samsung TV doesn't work so I have to use the remote to turn it on & off. I've looked through all the TV & computer settings but can't find anything unless I'm missing something. I'd just like it to function like my previous PC monitors & turn on & off automatically with the PC. Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 429 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Possible to auto on / off TV when used as a PC monitor?

Doboth the TV and PC support HDMI CEC?

My monitors go to sleep but don't actually power off. Apparently the feature is called DPMS.
Old 10-11-21, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Doboth the TV and PC support HDMI CEC?

My monitors go to sleep but don't actually power off. Apparently the feature is called DPMS.
The TV supports HDMI CEC but I don't know if the computer does, is there a way to find out?
I read about DPMS but don't see it in the TV's settings.
Old 10-12-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 429 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm finding that particular subject to be a little confusing as well, hopefully somebody else can chime in on the viability of CEC over PC - it exists to an extent, but I have little experience with it.
Old 10-12-21, 10:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using a "Smart" or sensing power strip almost identical to the attached picture. It uses one outlet as a master and when that power drops it turns off additional outlets for my Monitor and powered speakers. Now when you say "smart" they are Alexa type devices run from an App or something. I quickly looked for this device shown and most hits point to defunct eBay listings. My model is an Intertek SCG3E.

Old 10-13-21, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I'm using a "Smart" or sensing power strip almost identical to the attached picture. It uses one outlet as a master and when that power drops it turns off additional outlets for my Monitor and powered speakers. Now when you say "smart" they are Alexa type devices run from an App or something. I quickly looked for this device shown and most hits point to defunct eBay listings. My model is an Intertek SCG3E.
I have one of these but think if I plug the PC in "Master" & the TV in "Controlled" outlets the TV's power would be completely cut off when the PC is turned off causing the TV to have to be manually powered on anyway and probably clearing the TV's settings.
I might try it anyway though.

Last edited by JZ1276; 10-13-21 at 01:00 PM.