Reload this Page >

What does this mean?: "Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-08-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm trying to install a new Hewlett Packard printer on my desktop, Windows 7. The downloaded file to install it doesn't appear anywhere on my computer. When I click on Windows, no HP folder that should include that downloaded file appears. I'm going through the Virtual Agent at Hewlett Packard and the next step they tell me is to "Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer." I found the Command Prompt for doing that, but I'm having a panic moment. It sounds like a simple enough thing, but I don't know what this means for my computer and I'm scared to do it. Is this going to do anything to my computer? Am I going to lose any data doing that?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-08-21 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-08-21, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 629 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: What does this mean?: "Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer"

I believe Windows wants you to go into the registry and delete out the file for the installer. The file name is something like REGSVR or something like that. You can usually do it from the cmd box or just use the registry editor to locate it. And you are just deleting out the installer, nothing else that will affect your Windows from running properly.
Old 10-08-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: What does this mean?: "Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer"

Thanks.

Long story short: I used the disk that came with the printer to install the software that way and wound up using the USB port instead of wireless. I would have done that from the beginning but I assumed it didn't have that option because no USB cable came with the printer, but I kept the cable from the old printer and found the slot for it on the new printer and was able to install it that way.

Old 10-08-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Yeah I think from cmd it's just:
MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER

MSIEXEC /REGSERVER

That won't effect anything on the system itself except the installer registry.