Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows 11: Worth the upgrade?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Is Windows 11 worth the upgrade?
Yes
33.33%
No
26.67%
I'll stay with 10 until the end
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-21, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Is it worth the upgrade? The majority out there have to buy a new computer to support 11.
Old 10-05-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Windows 11: Worth the upgrade?

My computer is compatible, but I think I'll wait a bit before upgrading.
Old 10-05-21, 09:15 PM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Yes, worth the upgrade, but let others go to it right away and iron out all the bugs before you upgrade to it. I'll likely go for it next summer or fall depending on what the bugs look like.
Old 10-05-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

I've never upgraded Windows versions.

I just use the old one until I buy a new computer. (And I fought like hell to keep 10 off my old Dell Studio with 7.)

And it's sounding like most computers out there right now won't be compatible with Windows 11, anyway.
Old 10-06-21, 09:39 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

I think not if you have to get a new computer.
Old 10-06-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Windows 10 has been the best Windows in a while, the "next iteration" from a good version always seems to be two steps backwards.

Windows 9x -> Windows ME
Windows XP -> Windows Vista
Windows 7 -> Windows 8.x
Windows 10 -> Guess we'll find out.

So I'll try it out on my work computer first.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I've never upgraded Windows versions.

I just use the old one until I buy a new computer. (And I fought like hell to keep 10 off my old Dell Studio with 7.)

And it's sounding like most computers out there right now won't be compatible with Windows 11, anyway.
The TPM and CPU requirements are quite silly. It seems like an oddly restricting requirement for an OS.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-06-21 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 03:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My two year old computer is compatible but like several have posted I'll wait and see. Never get the .0 version.
Old 10-06-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Don't do it yet. Especially don't do it on any computer older than about three years. Microsoft actually is selectively blocking those computers through something call TPM management. Anything older than an 8th Gen core I3 / i5 / i7 CPU, and Windows 11 will refuse to install. That alone should tell you about its added bloat. I would never upgrade, even on a new computer. There seems to be no good, overwheming reason to do it. Stick with Windows 10 until its EOL. It's stable (as such, keeping in mind it's still a Microsoft spyware-infested product out of the box, by design).
Old 10-06-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I upgraded today. It was pretty fast and no issues. My computer is just over a year old.
Old 10-06-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The TPM and CPU requirements are separate but can be shut off pretty easily (but you do need TPM 1.2 regardless)

I got bored earlier and installed it on a 7th gen i5 laptop by shutting off the CPU requirement. It doesn't appear to have any more bloat than Windows 10 (since I upgraded I didn't have to disable voice search or the like). They just made it look more like a hybrid of MacOS and Chrome OS with a few added animations and a central start menu location by default. They also did away with the Tiles on the start menu which may actually be an improvement for some people or a major negative for others - they've fully wiped their hands of Windows 8. Right click menu on the Start button is still there, classic Control Panel is still there.

EIther way, it runs very fast and seems quite lite but we'll see in a week. Oh and file explorer is oddly ugly by default.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-06-21 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The TPM and CPU requirements are separate but can be shut off pretty easily (but you do need TPM 1.2 regardless)

I got bored earlier and installed it on a 7th gen i5 laptop by shutting off the CPU requirement. It doesn't appear to have any more bloat than Windows 10 (since I upgraded I didn't have to disable voice search or the like). They just made it look more like a hybrid of MacOS and Chrome OS with a few added animations and a central start menu location by default. They also did away with the Tiles on the start menu which may actually be an improvement for some people or a major negative for others - they've fully wiped their hands of Windows 8. Right click menu on the Start button is still there, classic Control Panel is still there.

EIther way, it runs very fast and seems quite lite but we'll see in a week. Oh and file explorer is oddly ugly by default.
The biggest change seems to be that they've tried to "modernize" the UI into a plaything for children, as seems to be greatly in vogue right now by Google, Mac OS, etc. Lots of rounded corners, primary pretty colors, and eyecandy crap that detracts from the usability of the OS. But, at least they did keep the old control panel, at least. Getting rid of tiles seems like a good thing as well, but you can already do this on Windows 10. I might have a look in two years if it ever get mature, but for now, I'll stick with my highly customized, castrated, and pruned version of Win 10 which runs very well and very fast in a footprint of about 4 GB ot diskspace..
Old 10-07-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyone with Ryzen might want to hold off a bit

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/6/2...update-october
Old 10-07-21, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

.... Oh and file explorer is oddly ugly by default.
Does File explorer work any better than in Windows 10? It jumps all over the place when I try to rename or access a folder. (I have a lot of old music folders that I originally named without spaces. When I try to rename them with spaces Windows 10 goes berserk.)
Old 10-07-21, 02:07 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Yes, worth the upgrade, but let others go to it right away and iron out all the bugs before you upgrade to it. I'll likely go for it next summer or fall depending on what the bugs look like.
I agree with Magneto.

Old 10-07-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Does File explorer work any better than in Windows 10? It jumps all over the place when I try to rename or access a folder. (I have a lot of old music folders that I originally named without spaces. When I try to rename them with spaces Windows 10 goes berserk.)
Not sure on that. I had a similar issue a while back but getting rid of the thumbnails and Metadata columns helped.
Old 10-07-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
I agree with Magneto.

Yes, that sums it up nicely! Let the plebians be the damn guinea pigs (or... lemmings?)
Old 10-09-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

My PC is too old, and I'm happy with it so I see no reason to bother with 11 yet. Maybe in a year or two I'll build a new one.
Old 10-09-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
My PC is too old, and I'm happy with it so I see no reason to bother with 11 yet. Maybe in a year or two I'll build a new one.
​​​​​​ Identical to my situation. My PC is 14yrs old. Its been through various OS's. Only thing that's ever failed is the CD drive. My next PC will not have a CD drive.
Old 10-09-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In point of fact, 90% of the crap included with Windows 11 most people don't need, nor will they ever use. Windows XP was the last truly utilitarian OS, but of course that's been made obsolete now. Windows 7 wasn't bad, but it, too, was a giant behemoth. I find that a stripped-down Win10 is the best "modern" compromise on any system connected to the internet. For older systems without need of internet connectivity, Windows XP is still a very fine OS, fast as can be, and very light on resources. Most modern software won't run on it, but that's a completely artifical limitation, needlessly imposed by modern compilers and toolchains.
Old 10-14-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'll stick with my highly customized, castrated, and pruned version of Win 10 which runs very well and very fast in a footprint of about 4 GB ot diskspace..
(On a tangent).

What do you do to neuter / hamstring Win10 ?

ie. Besides deleting unused programs/apps, disabling unnecessary junk programs at bootup/login, severely constraining IE to be minimally functional, etc ....
Old 10-14-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
(On a tangent).

ie. Besides deleting unused programs/apps, disabling unnecessary junk programs at bootup/login, severely constraining IE to be minimally functional, etc ....
Zyzzle tells his computer stories of the old days until apps start deleting themselves out of boredom and despair.

Spoiler:
(Apologies, Zyzzle, I couldn't resist.)
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Apparently Win11 does not play nice with AMD CPUs... Perfomance is hampered by up to 15% in some tests.
Old 10-15-21, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
(On a tangent).

Start with LTSC as a base. It's been pretty highly pruned of much telemetry and optimized, as released by Microsoft itself. Then, customize and castrate further by rolling your own .WIM and custom ISO by means of ToolKit and NTLite. Customize as little or as much as you like, at a very granular level.

Alternatively, try Windows 10 Ameliorated:

https://ameliorated.info/

an outstanding abstraction of Win10 released in the interest of the public good -- minus much of the bloat and spyware rubbish.
Old 10-15-21, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Start with LTSC as a base. It's been pretty highly pruned of much telemetry and optimized, as released by Microsoft itself. Then, customize and castrate further by rolling your own .WIM and custom ISO by means of ToolKit and NTLite. Customize as little or as much as you like, at a very granular level.

Alternatively, try Windows 10 Ameliorated:

https://ameliorated.info/

an outstanding abstraction of Win10 released in the interest of the public good -- minus much of the bloat and spyware rubbish.
Thanks for the links. I have looked at these two methods in the past.

With the rate of security holes being patched every month, LTSC didn't seem like an attractive baseline to start from.

When it comes to telemetry being disabled, I found it was easier to just use a modified hosts file (such as mvps or danpollock) which redirects almost all the known microsoft telemetry and tons of known junk/spam domains to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 localhost. These particular modified hosts file (mvps or danpollock) even blocked microsoft update from functioning properly, where I had to temporarily move back to the default microsoft hosts file in order to update the operating system.

The last time I looked at ameliorated, I thought it was easier to just using another operating system without much of any default junk (such as openbsd or freebsd) instead of unraveling the complex "rube goldberg machine" of win10.

The only thing going for openbsd, is that the head designer seems to be a paranoid angry type of person when it comes to technical security type issues.

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-15-21 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-16-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,217 Posts

My 2018 HP desktop just give me a message that the Windows 11 upgrade was available. It was running Windows 10. So I went ahead and did the upgrade.

It took about 5 hours for everything to get completed from the download to installation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.