Reload this Page >

Questions about Smart Phones + 4G? 5G?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions about Smart Phones + 4G? 5G?

Old 09-02-21, 08:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: Questions about Smart Phones + 4G? 5G?

Well, the $50/mo. plan I was hoping for fizzled out a while ago (apparently), so we went in search of a plan that would suit our needs, decided on the T-Mobile Magenta 55+ unlimited plan for $70/mo (taxes & fees included). Went to T-Mobile earlier today to get that plan, was offered the Magenta Max unlimited plan for 50% off the regular price = $60/mo. (taxes and fees included), activation $$$ waived. If it all pans out as planned, I think we got a decent deal. That price is supposed to be ours for as long as we want to keep it.
Old 09-03-21, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Questions about Smart Phones + 4G? 5G?

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I plan to monitor my usage but my wife likes to watch Youtube videos, so do I but to a lesser degree. Got to talking with a co-worker, asked him what kind of stuff he does on his phone and how much data he uses each month. He's on an unlimited family plan, does pretty much the same thing we'll be doing, uses about 30gb+ per month. We'll see though...
Right, but she watches YouTube at home on your computer on WiFi, right (given that you don't currently have smartphones)? Is she planning on suddenly doing all her YouTube (or other streaming video) watching on the smartphones when you're out and about and not on WiFi? If so, then yes, you'll have a lot of data usage. But if she's only going to be doing YouTube watching on the computer, or on the smartphone when it's at home/work on WiFi, then you're not going to be a heavy data user.

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Well, the $50/mo. plan I was hoping for fizzled out a while ago (apparently), so we went in search of a plan that would suit our needs, decided on the T-Mobile Magenta 55+ unlimited plan for $70/mo (taxes & fees included). Went to T-Mobile earlier today to get that plan, was offered the Magenta Max unlimited plan for 50% off the regular price = $60/mo. (taxes and fees included), activation $$$ waived. If it all pans out as planned, I think we got a decent deal. That price is supposed to be ours for as long as we want to keep it.
Well, I'd say monitor your data usage the first couple months. As long as you're not watching YouTube while on cellular, I'd be surprised if your usage is even a couple GB per month. In that case, you'd save $$$$ by going with Mint Mobile ($15/month) over this Magenta Max "deal" ($60/month). Keep in mind that even if you blow your monthly high-speed data allotment on Mint Mobile, you're not dead in the water. You still get unlimited data at 2G speeds, so you can do essential (non-audio/video) stuff. Or you can even buy a Data Add-On for the rest of the month. 1GB for $10 or 3GB for $20; a couple of those and you'd still come out at less than the $60/month for Magenta Max.