Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody have a preference between Western Digital and Seagate external hard drives?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anybody have a preference between Western Digital and Seagate external hard drives?

Old 06-01-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I've only ever bought Western Digital, but I have a friend who only buys Seagate.

What's your preference, and why?
Old 06-01-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Anybody have a preference between Western Digital and Seagate external hard drives?

Browsing what I have (and my Amazon history) ... looks like I'll buy either of them! I think I just go with whatever has a better deal when I need one. I've had equally good luck with both, and have been buying external HDs since they've been making them.
Old 06-01-21, 06:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Anybody have a preference between Western Digital and Seagate external hard drives?

I had several Seagates go bad some years ago and switched back to WD. I can't recall ever having a bad WD so I still prefer the current WD line and generally only buy that brand.
Old 06-01-21, 06:25 PM

Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts

Funny enough, my story is the exact opposite of X, so we cancel each other out!
Old 06-01-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 796 Likes on 587 Posts

I generally go with WD. I've always heard bad things about Seagate.

My current backup scheme is one portable 2TB WD and one portable 2TB Seagate. So far, both haven't given me any problems.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-13-21)
Old 06-01-21, 07:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Funny enough, my story is the exact opposite of X, so we cancel each other out!
Yeah, weíve had this discussion here before and it works out the same way. I can say that Iíve shucked a number of 4TB Seagate external drives and they have been fine. And the series/purpose of the drives makes a difference; some drives of the same manufacturer are made better than others.

I think one of the primary reasons for drives going bad is heat and people blame the overheated drive brand for being worse than another.
Old 06-01-21, 08:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I've rarely been disappointed with Western Digital (all hard drive manufacturers have lemons), can't say the same for Seagate. I just prefer Western Digital.
John Pannozzi (06-13-21)
Old 06-01-21, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 411 Likes on 323 Posts

I prefer WD as well, and they have pretty good prices. Recently they had a 5 TB external drive for $92.
John Pannozzi (06-13-21)
Old 06-02-21, 12:42 AM

Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by X View Post
Yeah, weíve had this discussion here before and it works out the same way.
We have? Huh. We have looped ourselves!
Old 06-05-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

WD all the way, especiially now. Seagate used to be decent, pre 2015 or so, before they started using SMR (shingled) recording as an inferior method of increasing the bit density of their hard drives. Now, you're hard-pressed to find a non SMR Seagate drive. The dead giveaway is "256 MB cache", as these shingled drives have TERRIBLE write performance once the cache is used up. Avoid. Avoid... AVOID.

WD still has some good CMR -- classically recorded data drives. These have same read / write performance. Get one of those.
Old 06-13-21, 02:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a fan of Western Digital disks, the latest purchase was a WD Elements 14TB from Newegg - that I shucked and placed in my home server.
John Pannozzi (06-13-21)
Old 06-14-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Iíve probably gone through 40+ drives in the last 15 or so years as Iíve expanded my media server and replaced smaller drives with newer, larger ones. Iíve had more Seagates go bad than anything, but I do vaguely recall some major issues they had sometime around 2012 that affected several of my drives. I typically buy WD unless thereís a super deal for a different brand.
Old 06-17-21, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Iíve had more Seagates go bad than anything, but I do vaguely recall some major issues they had sometime around 2012 that affected several of my drives.
Yup, Seagate had some major firmware issues with both the 7200.11 and 7200.12 series. Like, brick-your-drive-when-you-power-it-up kind of issues.

But yeah, I've had a fair number of Seagates and WDs over the years, and it just seems like proportionally more Seagates have failed in more spectacular fashions. I've had a few WDs fail, but overall, they seem to have been much more solid than the Seagates.
Old 06-17-21, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

In 22 years of utilizing drives, I've used dozens upon dozens.

Currently have 12 drives in operation now.

In my experience Seagates are garbage. Practically every one of them I've ever bought ended up dying within the first year of operation. Even had some that started making clicking noises within a few weeks of use... as well as one that was dead on arrival.

As for Western Digital drives.... Only a single failure and it was a 1TB external that went through 8 years of heavy use and abuse, even was dropped a few times.

So yeah... the choice is easy for me to make. Go WD every time. They're worth the extra cost.

Also some of the discussion above about the 2012 era of Shitgates... likely has to do with the 3TB Barracuda line which at one point in time BlazeBlue had a reported whopping 84% of their 30,000 drives in operation all fail within the first year of use.

Also just recently watched a video on CraftComputing's YouTube channel where he put 16 Shitgates in his NAS right before Christmas and within 4 months had 7 of the drives fail on him.
Old 06-19-21, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I think on the External Drives...both seem to have about the same reviews, results and do the job. I have a WD 4TB passport that's like 3yrs old I use for the PS4 and it's still humming along with zero problems. I also have a 5yr old Seagate 2TB Hybrid 2.5 for the PS4 for the OS and played games and it's still humming along with no issues....and both get a workout everyday. I've got a WD 500gb Blue in one PC for casual and in another PC a WD Green 500GB (vista) and a Seagate 1TB (Photos, Music, etc)...both mechanical drives... and they're doing fine.

I think in the past certain models, certain years, certain specs had issues, failures while other series, models, years did extremely well...especially last couple of years....can always get a Docking Stations and just go with say a 500GB or each and give it go; depends on your use(s) and all. I personally wouldn't have an issue of grabbing a WD Black Series and/or a Seagate Barracuda Pro "Mechanical Drive" at the moment......SSD's, that's another story and another topic...
Old 06-21-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

I've done support and put together computers by the hundreds in my time.. When there's a failed drive it's usually Seagate. All hard drives from any manufacturer can fail but WD seems solid. Remember Hitachi used to be the most reliable and they were bought out by.. WD. I would say since that happened their drives have been much more reliable.
Old 06-21-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are Western Digital and Seagate the only manufacturers of hard drives left?

I remember, like ten years ago, there was Hitachi, Toshiba, Iomega, Buffalo, and LaCie, but now all I ever see is WD and Seagate. Though I think some of those, like LaCie were just rebranded from another company.
Old 06-23-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I remember, like ten years ago, there was Hitachi, Toshiba, Iomega, Buffalo, and LaCie, but now all I ever see is WD and Seagate. Though I think some of those, like LaCie were just rebranded from another company.
Only Seagate, Toshiba, and WD remain.

However with the future, SSD and PCIe, there's many many players. I don't think Hard Drives are here to stay much longer except for businesses that need massive data storage. For the home user.. I think they will be all but gone soon.
Old 06-23-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
However with the future, SSD and PCIe, there's many many players. I don't think Hard Drives are here to stay much longer except for businesses that need massive data storage. For the home user.. I think they will be all but gone soon.
Yeah, we are moving away from standard hard drives. It's a change I generally welcome, but I wish we'd see the cost/size of SSDs becoming more in line with traditional HDs.

I think that a 4TB HD runs around $100, while the SSD equivalent is $400, which is still quite high. It isn't something I've really been keeping track of, and the pandemic has put everything in a holding pattern for the past year and a half, but it seems like storage costs, both HD and SSD, don't seem to have dropped at the rate they traditionally have.

I also get the sense that there's a push for less storage on home PCs, with even most of them topping out on HD size at 1TB for a while now. It also seems like most PCs these days have fewer open SATA bays for expansion, so just adding a new (lower capacity) SSD isn't really a viable option. When I'm looking at new desktops, I really have to dig to find out how many drive bays they have, it's not something they advertise any more.

I suppose that, at some point in the future, most PCs won't even take SATA drives, and rely solely on PCIe.
Old 06-23-21, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree, but only from the standpoint of power-users / media servers for advanced home users. Large-capacity hard drives will still be made for some time to come, for it doesn't make sense to store 10 or 20 TB of movies on a NAS on your home server and use an SSD for this task. That data is infrequently accessed, the files are large, and neither random-access time nor transfer rate of serving the films calls for the demands of SSDs. Even in high-bitrate 4k UHDs, raw transfer rate doesn't even approach the data rate limits of current mechanical drives. SSDs are important for OS drives, frequently accessed data, and extremely fast data transfer rates.

Price is a huge factor as well. Few casual home users would pay $1400 or $1600 for a 16TB SSD. It's ridiculous. But, $200 for a 10 or 12-TB mechanical hard drive is reasonable. Prices of mechanical drives haven't fallen, in fact they're more expensive now than they were 2 - 3 years ago. Even SSDs haven't decreased in the last 18 months or 2 years, but rather increased in cost.
Old 06-24-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Old 06-26-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Heh.

A remote virus/trojan which has been drastically affecting some Western Digital WD My Book Live external hard drives. Basically the virus/trojan forcing a "factory reset" and wiping everything off the drive.

No ransom demands. Just purely destruction.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-18472

https://www.westerndigital.com/suppo...-mybookliveduo

https://community.wd.com/t/help-all-...unknown/268111
Old 06-26-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I really hope not. My data needs are finally starting to stabilize a little and was really looking forward to downsizing my 100TB 15 HDD array into 5 30TB drives in the next few years.
Old 06-27-21, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Not surprising that a quasi-fungible commodity niche consolidates into 2 or 3 manufacturers remaining, where economy of scales is the only way left to make any profit.

Same story with computer dvd-r drives, where there's only two manufacturers left: LG and LiteOn. (For computer bluray drives, the two manufacturers left are LG and Pioneer).
Old 06-27-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Not surprising that a quasi-fungible commodity niche consolidates into 2 or 3 manufacturers remaining, where economy of scales is the only way left to make any profit.

Same story with computer dvd-r drives, where there's only two manufacturers left: LG and LiteOn. (For computer bluray drives, the two manufacturers left are LG and Pioneer).
I think it's even worse with blank media. Is it not true that CMC Magnetics (rubbishy junk) and Verbatum are the only two manufacturers left? And I think Verbatum isn't the old quality Verbatum of years ago, but now cheap Chinese junk as well at this point. No quality blank media is left, so we're fucked for archival quality backups... Really is a pisser.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.