Reload this Page >

Portable iPhone charger

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Portable iPhone charger

Old 03-17-21, 07:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Portable iPhone charger

Need a good charger that I can carry our Disney for our phones. We have the newer iPhones so they are usb c. Id like to find ones that can charge two phones at the same time

thoughts?
Old 03-18-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 398 Posts
Re: Portable iPhone charger

We have used Anker brand for years. A few years back when the iPhones had that battery thing where they would drain in an hour, we kept 2-3 Anker chargers with us to keep playing PokemonGo.

Since Apple fixed that battery issue, we don't use them as much, but we still keep them around.
Old 03-18-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I gave one to my parents that charges the portable charger via a wall outlet and USB (instead of just USB).

They seem to like it (it's been about 3 years). It can charge two phones at once. I don't remember the brand though, but I guess my main point is that the wall outlet option is helpful.
Old 03-18-21, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 317 Likes on 229 Posts

If you want to get fancy and portable, ChargeFast beat Apple to the punch and released power banks with Magsafe for the iPhone 12. Wouldn't be surprised if there were others out already as well.

https://chargefast.co/
Old 03-18-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
We have used Anker brand for years. A few years back when the iPhones had that battery thing where they would drain in an hour, we kept 2-3 Anker chargers with us to keep playing PokemonGo.

Since Apple fixed that battery issue, we don't use them as much, but we still keep them around.
Anker is imo the best option for a reasonably priced good quality power bank. I bought a 10000mah one with 18w pd for $14 back in 2019. I believe that was a sale price though so regular price is a little more. I strongly recommend a pd power bank so it can do 50% in 30 minutes.
Old 03-19-21, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another vote for Anker. Using them for years with no problems and they have good build quality. Even with the new iPhones you can still use a USB-A to lightning cable just without fast charge.
Old 03-20-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolHandDan View Post
Need a good charger that I can carry our Disney for our phones. We have the newer iPhones so they are usb c. Id like to find ones that can charge two phones at the same time

thoughts?
If you have an iPhone 12, it requires a 20W (or more) charger for USB Power Delivery (USB-PD). If it is an iPhone 8 through iPhone 11, then it is 18W (or more). If you want a charger than can charge two phones simultaneously at the fastest rate, then the charger needs two ports (obviously) and be rated at double the wattage (or more). That is, 40W or 36W. But also check how that power is allocated between ports. For example,
this charger this charger
, even though it's rated for 48W total, it can only put a maximum of 18W on each USB-C port, so you wouldn't want this if you have an iPhone 12.

USB-PD charging is the fastest charging available for iPhones. It is faster than the older chargers with just USB-A type plugs, and it is faster than MagSafe wireless charging. Keep in mind that all USB-PD connections are USB-C, but not all USB-C are USB-PD. Make sure you check the charger's description or specs to make sure that it says that it supports Power Delivery or PD.

So, I would go on Amazon, and search for "Anker USB-PD" or "Aukey USB-PD" and then find a model that has the amount of ports and power that you need. For some reason, Aukey seems to have a lot more USB-PD models and options than Anker.

Old 03-20-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

^^ That makes it sound like a 18w (or less) charger / power bank, WON'T charge the iPhone 12. It will, just not at the highest speed possible.
Old 03-20-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Anker here as well.
Old 03-22-21, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there some other advantage, other than speed, to the PD chargers? Is that something that we would want as our only charger?
Old 03-23-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Is there some other advantage, other than speed, to the PD chargers? Is that something that we would want as our only charger?
pd uses a usb c connector, so keep that in mind. charging speed is the advantage of pd. If you dont need the speed just get a standard usb a power bank.
Old 03-25-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
pd uses a usb c connector, so keep that in mind. charging speed is the advantage of pd. If you dont need the speed just get a standard usb a power bank.
Is it better for the longevity of the battery to regularly charge it slower rather than faster? Or is that old thinking for old battery technology?