Reload this Page >

What do I need to know about "cookies"?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-23-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

More and more when I go to websites that I have accounts at, I'm getting a new "Cookies" message. I don't quite understand it. I'm afraid to click "Accept All" or "Decline All" without knowing how it will affect what I do. And when I click on "Manage Settings," I get a long list that I can't process. And on Flickr, the "Cookies" message blocks my ability to enter my albums of pictures and manage or use them to any degree. It's very frustrating. I went to the Flickr help page for this and it didn't help me. In the past, I've just clicked on "accept" for sites I was only visiting to read an article or something, but when it's a site where I'm a registered user, like Flickr, I worry about how "Accept All" or "Decline All" will affect my ability to use the site. The areas in the "Manage Settings" that most baffle me are "Purposes," "Special Features" and "Partners," all with columns for "Consent" and "Legitimate Interest."

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 188 Posts
Re: What do I need to know about "cookies"?

Cookies are little files that get stored on your local computer that track basic data so the website can remember what you were looking at ("Previously Looked At" items), what's in your shopping cart, your name, how you customized something, your login state, identifiers, etc;

Many websites cannot function without them so instead of finding some work around they just do the "Accept All or best of luck getting anything out of this site" as a response to the GDPR laws in Europe.
Old 02-24-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: What do I need to know about "cookies"?

As I understand it, this exact thing has been done for years (using cookies), but the EU passed some law which requires EU citizens to be notified that "this site uses cookies" so that since Jan. 1 they have to notify us. I always just click on the "accept all", that's what it used to be before they had to let us know they use cookies. Oh, I guess the law only applies to companies that have at least "X" employees or make at least so much money per year or something like that.