Dual Channel Memory

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dual Channel Memory

Old 02-18-21, 02:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Dual Channel Memory

Always before, in order for memory to be dual channel, there had to be 2 equal size/type sticks of memory in the proper slots. I now have an ASUS laptop with 4gb soldered to the motherboard, and another 4gb stick (replaceable). The laptop will hold a max of 12gb of memory, but I suspect that if I swap that 4gb stick out for an 8gb stick, it will no longer be dual channel. Is this still true? Am I also correct in assuming that even though I'll have more memory, the fact that it is no longer dual channel means memory performance will take a hit?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-19-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Dual Channel Memory

I'd think your benefits going to 12 GB of single-channeled memory by maxing out that MB would outweigh the small performance hit you'll take by going to single-channeled mode, unless all you're doing on that system is archiving or rendering to an SSD, of course. I'm not even entirely sure if just putting in a 4GB stick would get you to Dual Channel mode unless the brand and timings were identical to the soldered 4GB stick. That issue used to be very confusing, down to the point where you'd have to stay with the same brand, timings, and batch (ie sequential serial numbers of RAM sticks!), not to mention buffered vs unbuffered and parity vs nonparity RAM, etc.
Old 02-20-21, 05:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

The current memory configuration (4+4) is dual channel as reported by CPU-Z. So you think the performance boost by swapping out the 4gb stick with an 8gb stick would be worth it, even if it negates the dual channel configuration?
Old 02-20-21, 07:39 AM

Depends on just what you're using the system for. For most uses, I'd rather have 12Gb of single-channel RAM than 8 GB of dual. Exception again is if you are doing heavy archiving or photos / rendering. But for general use, go with the full 12Gb for some extra breathing room, especially if you are using Windows 10.
Old 02-20-21, 05:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Not really doing heavy duty stuff on this laptop, just the basic things: web surfing, watching videos, etc.

Now I need to decide whether I want to break the seal on the bottom half of this laptop to upgrade the memory. Laptops used to have little panels covering the hard drive and/or memory, remove a couple of little screws and POOF! instant access. Now you need to break a seal, hopefully without gouging the plastic, so you can remove the whole bottom of the laptop to get to the memory.
Old 02-21-21, 01:20 AM
X
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think I'd bother adding memory given what you're doing. You can monitor your memory usage to see what you need.
Old 02-21-21, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 422 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by X View Post
I don't think I'd bother adding memory given what you're doing. You can monitor your memory usage to see what you need.
Yes, I would think 8gb would be enough to handle basic tasks like websurfing and watching videos without having to worry about adding more memory.

At least for a couple of years until bloat catches up.
Old 02-22-21, 12:26 AM

Yeah... in your light usage case, just stick with the 8 GB, especially if you have to break a seal to get to the memory.
Old 02-22-21, 05:09 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, sounds like good advice...