Reload this Page >

Starlink - Elon Musk's satellite internet service

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-01-21, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 284 Likes on 228 Posts

I got a notice that this is "coming soon" to my area. I know it's owned by Musk, but don't know much about it, other than it's a satellite internet service. So anyone going to buy into this? Seems a bit pricey, but if the benefits are there, I may switch.

SpaceX Starlink service priced at $99 a month, public beta test begins (cnbc.com)
Old 02-01-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 231 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Starlink - Elon Musk's satellite internet service

It's too pricey if you live in a well populated area with solid internet. But if you live in the boonies or on a boat, it looks like an outright godsend. Otherwise, $99/month + $500 upfront for cable performance just simply isn't competitive.
Old 02-01-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

One of my friends is waiting for his full-time work from home designation. If he gets that, he wants to get a small trailer as an office for his vamper, Starlink internet, and hit the road.
Old 02-01-21, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

This would help us greatly if it's rolled out when we move to Italy. They have decent services there, but this will be great for when we travel around Europe.
Old 02-01-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
One of my friends is waiting for his full-time work from home designation. If he gets that, he wants to get a small trailer as an office for his vamper, Starlink internet, and hit the road.
I looked into it for my camper, but needing line of sight is a real deal breaker. Unless you're at the beach or the desert, you're almost always going to have a bunch of trees around.
Old 02-01-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

... and a spotty connection at best. Not worth it unless you're WAY, way out in the boonies and have a lot of open space around you.

All other users Need Not Apply.
Old 02-02-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 02-02-21, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I looked into it for my camper, but needing line of sight is a real deal breaker. Unless you're at the beach or the desert, you're almost always going to have a bunch of trees around.
Interesting. I wonder if he's aware of that. He's mostly a mountain sports kind of guy, so there isn't much line of sight to anywhere.
Old 02-09-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service now has over 10,000 users

Old 02-09-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Eventually I want this. But maybe when it gets closer to $50/month in a decade or so.
Old 02-10-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone seen an email address to contact someone at Starlink? I couldn't find one on the web site but maybe I'm blind.
I would like to talk to someone to find out more information about if these devices could be used for remote seismic stations that need to stream data.
Old 02-10-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have they resolved the latency issues with satellite internet? I remember using HughesNet at a friends house about 15 years ago and it was unusable for VPNing into work and for gaming.
Old 02-10-21, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Are they even using any of the same technology from 15 years ago? I doubt this service is. Even with the latest tech, it’s going to take a few years to mature and stable.
Old 02-11-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Have they resolved the latency issues with satellite internet? I remember using HughesNet at a friends house about 15 years ago and it was unusable for VPNing into work and for gaming.
Huge difference: Starlink satellites are much, much lower and the latency is excellent: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoe...h=679b74271bb0
Old 02-16-21, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I have uncapped Gig service via our cable company for $175/month. If Starlink survives rollout and becomes the next big thing at $99/month, I'll be game.
Old 02-17-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 231 Likes on 184 Posts

$175? Geez. I thought $90 for uncapped gig fiber was pricey.
Old 02-17-21, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

He is in Alaska, so I’m guessing that’s a huge factor as to the price. I pay $99/month for AT&T Gigabit.
Old 02-18-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got my invite for this, but it's for my home address. Doesn't look like it's even possible to use anywhere else.
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
Old 03-13-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 104 Likes on 52 Posts

I got the invite around the same time, but too expensive for me. I'm in an area that I can get cable internet. I was actually surprised it was going to be available in my area.

I've yet to see them go by in the sky. Have to find a better app. The one I have to spot the ISS is much better.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.
Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.
Hardware $499.00
Service $99.00 /mo
Shipping & Handling $50.00

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 03-17-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm sure that there are large, very sparsely populated areas of Canada that could benefit from this, I've heard that some areas up here are involved in the beta testing.
Old 03-15-21, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Just got my invite for this, but it's for my home address. Doesn't look like it's even possible to use anywhere else.
How does that make even a modicum of sense? Can't go outside your "cell" or you'll lose internet? That totally blows the supposed MO out of the water, and renders any claims about using this as a mobile internet solution totally moot. Typical marketing bullshit, pie-in-the-sky claims?

Unless I'm missing something?
Old 03-17-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^It's Beta testing. I'm assuming they want to control the location variable while they are testing the service. Once they roll this out to the general public you'll be able to move around with the hardware.
Old 03-28-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 143 Posts

The service currently only has a fraction of the planned number of satellites actually launched, so at the moment can only provide coverage for certain areas, and as John Galt's quote noted, they have to specifically allocate satellites and bandwidth for each subscriber. They currently have about 1,200 satellites, out of 40,000 planned, for worldwide coverage.

Once they get most to all of their satellites launched, they'll have a lot more flexibility, and will be able to provide mobile service, although I expect the mobile service will be more expensive and come with some caveats.
Old 03-28-21, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ohhh... the scary part is that you said bandwidth has to be allocated "for each user". Then, this gives them carte blanch to adjust, reduce, or cripple the speeds at their whim and fancy? In other words, bandwidth sculpting. It doesn't just depend on if your neighbors are all connected at the same time anymore, but now they can dynamically adjust your speed and / or latency as they see fit?

Gives them way too much power to abuse you by...
Old 03-29-21, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Ohhh... the scary part is that you said bandwidth has to be allocated "for each user". Then, this gives them carte blanch to adjust, reduce, or cripple the speeds at their whim and fancy? In other words, bandwidth sculpting. It doesn't just depend on if your neighbors are all connected at the same time anymore, but now they can dynamically adjust your speed and / or latency as they see fit?

Gives them way too much power to abuse you by...
I have no idea what you're talking about. They sell service with advertised speeds of 100 Mbps down. They're not deliberately crippling anyone's service. And do you think the wired broadband providers are not capable of allocating bandwidth on a per-user basis? How do you think speed tiers work?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.