Reload this Page >

New Laptop Recommendations

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-11-20, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I need to pick up a new laptop, but havnt been keeping up with whats on the market. I am looking for primarily an office machine that will run office, graphic design, and video editing software well.

I am sure many will suggest a Macbook, and its a possibility, but i have mainly used Windows laptops/dekstops and would prefer to stick with that. I know i can run Windows through a Mac, but its just not the immediate avenue i want to take.

I was looking at the Surface Book 3, however i hear reports that a 4th model is just around the corner. I get pissed off with buying tech that within months has a new model (happened this year when i bought a Mavic Mini and within 2 months the second model appeared).

My budget wpuld be between $1000 - $2000.

I would like something light with a larger (not massive) screen.

Any suggestions???
Old 12-11-20, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Received 277 Likes on 222 Posts
Re: New Laptop Recommendations

Well the tech will always be changing, so don't buy based on that, knowing it'll be outdated. I currently use a Dell XPS 13 from 2018 and it has an 8th gen i7 core. All are currently on 10th gen, but mine is still a beast.

If you are used to Windows, then stick with that. The new Macs have their new M1 chip which is so new, a lot of apps don't actually work with it yet, especially on the development side. I'm happy with using Dell so far, so I'd recommend that. But there are also other good ones out there like Asus, and even Microsoft, although I have way less knowledge on how their Surface line is comparatively.

I'd recommend looking into: Dell XPS 15, Asus TUF A15, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme, HP Envy 15, Apple MacBook (Air or Pro), and Microsoft Surface 3.
Old 12-11-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

I personally like the XPS series as well.
Old 12-13-20, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been reading up on the XPS 13 and 15 and i have to admit that the XPS 15 looks solid to me. After using a Surface Pro 2 for several years now i am looking for a larger screen. Working on Photoshop on a small screen is no kind of fun. There is so much on the market to choose from that i feel spoiled for choice. I am not after a gaming rig, but nice to see it can play games to a reasonable extent, so maybe Warzone might get an install, but this will primarily be used as a work machine. Have to increase the drive space though as 256 wont cut it.

Last edited by james2025a; 12-13-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-13-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Hah yeah, especially with Warzone. Damn thing is 100gb on its own.
Old 12-13-20, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 497 Likes on 364 Posts

One caveat with the Dell XPS line is that they don't have USB 2/3 ports. They're all USB C, so you'll need adapters and dongles to plug anything into it.
Old 12-14-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

After toying with the idea for a few years, I finally made the switch from desktop to laptop as my primary computer a few months ago. I went with an ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 but that's probably too small of a screen for you. I love it so far, though. I run mine through dual external monitors just like I did my desktops though so the screen size is rarely an issue and it is super small and relatively light for when I do travel with it. They do make a G15/15" model, however.
Old 12-14-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am having real problems finding the new XPS 15 online with the specs i want and available to buy. Went straight to Dell and they give me a problem as i want to pay and have it shipped to relatives in Florida, but as i have a Puerto Rican credit card i cant pay with it online as the state isnt listed. Looked on Amazon, but the listing for this model are all pver the place and i am seeing listings that read more like the old model than the new. Highly deceptive.

Anyone know of a good legit site where i could order and have it shipped ny early January. I am heading to Florida for Christmas, so aim to pick it up there. Last resort i will try finding one in a Best Buy over there.
Old 12-15-20, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I am having real problems finding the new XPS 15 online with the specs i want and available to buy. Went straight to Dell and they give me a problem as i want to pay and have it shipped to relatives in Florida, but as i have a Puerto Rican credit card i cant pay with it online as the state isnt listed. Looked on Amazon, but the listing for this model are all pver the place and i am seeing listings that read more like the old model than the new. Highly deceptive.

Anyone know of a good legit site where i could order and have it shipped ny early January. I am heading to Florida for Christmas, so aim to pick it up there. Last resort i will try finding one in a Best Buy over there.
You can use PayPal at Dell. Also you could buy through Google checkout.
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (12-16-20)
Old 12-15-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I changed my billing address to my wifes relatives and as its being shipped there will pick it up before the end of the month. Went through Dell and got the new XPS 15.
Old 12-16-20, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Received 277 Likes on 222 Posts

Cool, glad it worked out.
Old 12-16-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice folks. To be honest i was considering a Mac Book and a couple of other laptops i read up on, but this one just seemed to tick the boxes for what i wanted. Good all round machine in a compact design. I realized that i didnt necessarily need to look for a touch screen, and in fact its better without. I design using a mouse more than a pen (use that mainly for art), so went with the FHD screen. Dont see the point of a 4K screen. Saps power and not a great deal of difference in models this size. Funny, but if it wasnt mentioned i would have not even have looked Dell machines.
Old 12-16-20, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I am a Surface Pro guy and currently on a 4. I am waiting for the 8 to come out, it was due in Oct/Nov and now it's expected in Q1.

But size is one of the most important things for me. And my keyboard went bad, and I tossed it and bought a new one, I love that.
Old 12-29-20, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I am a Surface Pro guy and currently on a 4. I am waiting for the 8 to come out, it was due in Oct/Nov and now it's expected in Q1.

But size is one of the most important things for me. And my keyboard went bad, and I tossed it and bought a new one, I love that.
Well my surface pro has lasted me several years and been great. However, the screen is just too small at times. Working on design at that size can be a pain.

Been trying to get my hands on the Dell, but easier said than done.

Had an order in with Dell, but cancelled it after 3 weeks. Kept saying awaiting production, and not getting any help in an approximation of when it would arrive. Found some in stock at Daytona so ordered one there and driving tomorrow to pick it up. Hopefully its the correct model and they dont try selling older models to unsuspecting customers. Gonna open it in store so i can do an immediate refund if they try any funny business.

Last edited by james2025a; 12-31-20 at 10:08 AM.