Reload this Page >

Xfinity New Data Caps

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Xfinity New Data Caps

Old 11-21-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Xfinity New Data Caps

It looks like Comcast is enforcing data caps for almost everyone.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/intern...8-d820d9ca6b59

All Internet is powered by data.

Starting in January, our 1.2 Terabyte (1,229 GB) Internet Data Usage Plan will be automatically included with Xfinity Internet. You can do a lot with 1.2 TB in a month.

Take time to get to know your plan

Customers in select markets* can take the months of January and February to understand how the new 1.2 TB Internet Data Plan affects them without additional charges. We'll credit your bill for any additional data usage charges over 1.2 TB during those months if you're not on an unlimited data plan.

Learn more about the in-month notice you’ll receive about your usage

Starting in March 2021, customers not on an unlimited data plan who exceed 1.2 TB in a month will have a one-time courtesy month credit under the plan applied to their accounts, and will be responsible for any data overage changes after that. Blocks of 50 GB will automatically be added to customers' accounts for an additional fee of $10 each plus tax. Charges will not exceed $100 each month, no matter how much data a customer uses. *Includes the states of CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, parts of NC, NY, parts of OH, PA, VA, VT, WV, and the District of Columbia.

Old 11-21-20, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Xfinity New Data Caps

So it starts... the data cap monster appears.

Ridiculous of course. We can only hope that Spectrum remains without a data cap. But, they'll sadly also probably join the ranks of Comcast (now, in its "1.2 TB" cap) and AT&T (1TB data cap).

$10 per 50GB is absurd, and there will be a lot of very pissed customers -- soon to be former customers of Comcast, I hope.

The problem? Of course Comcast is a monopoly in some areas, so some very unlucky customers will be kowtowed into accepting the draconian capped connection that Comcast imposes with its iron fist!
Old 11-21-20, 07:31 PM

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts

Looks like customers can still upgrade to an Unlimited plan for $25-$30 a month.
Old 11-21-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

AT&T is $30 for unlimited, or included if you have gig
Old 11-21-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

I luckily don't have a data cap due to Spectrum, but I think they will start having a cap in two years after their merger deal expires. I believe for the merger to be approved, they were not allowed to have data caps for a number of years. That sucks for gamers. Some games have a 60-80 GB download patch.
Old 11-21-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Looks like customers can still upgrade to an Unlimited plan for $25-$30 a month.
I just got a 4K TV mid-month and started streaming my UHD Vudu titles, then a couple weeks later I got a warning that I was approaching my limit. I streamed 1080p for the rest of the month and escaped surcharges, but then I upgraded to unlimited so I wouldn’t have to live with downgraded quality.
Old 11-22-20, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Comcast/Xfinity and just checked my usage and would have thought it was much greater. It's just myself but I live on Roku and play a few online games. A couple games had pretty large updates this month (12-35 gigs each) and I can find myself playing for hours some days. So far this month it's showing at 268 GB of data but hovered at 400 GB prior months. Hey I still have a week to go and catch up!

I like how they state on the page: Expanding Access to Data: We recently updated our data usage meters. As part of Xfinity’s response to COVID-19, you won’t be charged for any data usage that occurred from March 13 through June 30. To bring you more value and support you going forward, we’re increasing the amount of data included in our internet data plans by 20%, to 1.2 TB.

Glad to see Covid-19 was over so quickly so folks can get back to data caps.
Old 11-22-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I have Comcast/Xfinity and just checked my usage and would have thought it was much greater. It's just myself but I live on Roku and play a few online games. A couple games had pretty large updates this month (12-35 gigs each) and I can find myself playing for hours some days. So far this month it's showing at 268 GB of data but hovered at 400 GB prior months. Hey I still have a week to go and catch up!

I like how they state on the page: Expanding Access to Data: We recently updated our data usage meters. As part of Xfinity’s response to COVID-19, you won’t be charged for any data usage that occurred from March 13 through June 30. To bring you more value and support you going forward, we’re increasing the amount of data included in our internet data plans by 20%, to 1.2 TB.

Glad to see Covid-19 was over so quickly so folks can get back to data caps.
but hey they are giving you $40 worth of additional data free!
Old 11-23-20, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I luckily don't have a data cap due to Spectrum, but I think they will start having a cap in two years after their merger deal expires. I believe for the merger to be approved, they were not allowed to have data caps for a number of years. That sucks for gamers. Some games have a 60-80 GB download patch.
Some games take 300 GB to download. Some games, like MS Flight Simulator download gigabytes of data while being played.

Cloud services? Hopeless. You're using terabytes of bandwidth to upload and sync your data with them!

Data caps need to be vaporized... no way are they compatible with customers' needs and demands in 2021. They're so 1990s.
Old 11-23-20, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Unless the FCC caves and lets them out 2 years early... Spectrum went to the FCC this summer.

https://www.extremetech.com/internet...love-data-caps