Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody use Mint Mobile? or another low cost plan?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-18-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 543 Likes on 406 Posts

In another thread I started, I explained that I was on an ATT sharing plan that I did not control. Well, coincidentally, I was just informed that the person that is on charge of that ATT plan is cancelling it, and I am on my own.

Like I said before, I am an old fogie that does not live on my phone, so I am looking for an inexpensive plan.

Anybody have any experience with Mint Mobile? They seem rather inexpensive for my purposes.

Or any other recommendations? Basically I would want unlimited talk and text, but don't need a huge amount of data transfer since I usually use wifi.
Old 10-18-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts
Re: Anybody use Mint Mobile? or another low cost plan?

Those Ryan Reynolds commercials are hilarious.
Old 10-19-20, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 677 Likes on 513 Posts

That's the only thing I think of when I hear about Mint mobile. The commercials are funny as hell, but won't get me to change my plan.
Old 10-19-20, 01:38 PM
X
Administrator

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Check out Tello. It may depend on what system, GSM or CDMA, your phone supports.
Old 10-19-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts

Mint piggybacks off of T-Mobile, so you should probably make sure you get good T-Mobile service in the area where you live, and places you travel to frequently.

Looks like you're in Austin, so I would assume T-Mobile has a good presence there.
Old 10-20-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 509 Posts

I've been thinking of going mint. Found this review. No it's not me:

What is Mint Mobile, and is it worth it?
Old 10-21-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

My family’s been on Mint Mobile for about a year. We had T-Mobile (or Ting on T-Mobile) before. There was pretty much no difference in service going to Mint. We get more data for about half the cost of what we were paying on T-Mobile. For low usage users like my wife and parents, they get by just fine on the lowest tier plan.

You have to prepay for a year at a time to get their best rates.

Edit: I have heard horror stories about the company they partner with to do phone sales. I would recommend not getting phones through them. Bring your own unlocked or T-Mobile locked phone.

Last edited by TheBang; 10-21-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 406 Posts

I've had no problems using Cricket Wireless. I believe they run on the Verizon network. Fairly affordable and I've never had any hassles using the service.
Old 10-21-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 920 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've had no problems using Cricket Wireless. I believe they run on the Verizon network. Fairly affordable and I've never had any hassles using the service.
Cricket runs on AT&T. We've had it for years. We locked in a plan a long time ago, 5 lines for $100 a month, so my wife's brother and mom and can be on our plan, and our kid has a plan too. It was 5 gig of highspeed a month for a long time, and I would go over sometimes, but when the lockdowns first started, they temporarily bumped everyone to 15 gigs (which I didn't need since I was sitting at home on wifi) and after a while, they cut it down to 10 Gig going forward.
Old 10-21-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 263 Likes on 205 Posts

I have Verizon Prepaid. I pay $40 a month for unlimited talk and text and 3 GBs of Data. They also let you roll over your unused data.
Old 10-21-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Edit: I have heard horror stories about the company they partner with to do phone sales. I would recommend not getting phones through them. Bring your own unlocked or T-Mobile locked phone.
I want a new phone and thought about getting one through them. I guess maybe not. What are some of the problems?
Old 10-22-20, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I want a new phone and thought about getting one through them. I guess maybe not. What are some of the problems?
There are a bunch of threads in this subreddit just like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/...tm_name=iossmf
Old 10-22-20, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Cricket runs on AT&T. We've had it for years. We locked in a plan a long time ago, 5 lines for $100 a month, so my wife's brother and mom and can be on our plan, and our kid has a plan too. It was 5 gig of highspeed a month for a long time, and I would go over sometimes, but when the lockdowns first started, they temporarily bumped everyone to 15 gigs (which I didn't need since I was sitting at home on wifi) and after a while, they cut it down to 10 Gig going forward.
I'm also on Cricket and have no issues. I probably haven't been with them as long as you have, as I have 5 lines for $125 a month. Those lines are all us though, Wife and I + 3 kids. We decided to do that when my kids needed their own phones a couple of years back. None of us have any complaints.
Old 10-22-20, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
There are a bunch of threads in this subreddit just like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/...tm_name=iossmf
Thanks for the link. That thread was almost a year ago. Gonna look around to see if it's still a current issue.
Old 10-23-20, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Red Pocket for several years. With Red Pocket, you can choose which network you want to be on (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint). Their prices are super competitive.

For example, $19/month gets you 3GB LTE plus unlimited talk/text. https://www.redpocket.com/plans
They have annual plans too such as $209.99 gets you 7GB LTE plus unlimited talk/text each month (comes out to $17.50/month). https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay

NOTE: Their "month" is 30 days, and "annual" is 360 days.
Old 10-25-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

mint mobile deal in case anyone was interested

6 mo with 8gb for $45. Seems like a great price

https://slickdeals.net/f/14466443-mi...#post141530480
Old 10-27-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
mint mobile deal in case anyone was interested

6 mo with 8gb for $45. Seems like a great price

https://slickdeals.net/f/14466443-mi...#post141530480
Went to Best Buy tonight but the deal is expired.
Old 10-31-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by namja View Post
I used Red Pocket for several years. With Red Pocket, you can choose which network you want to be on (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint). Their prices are super competitive.

For example, $19/month gets you 3GB LTE plus unlimited talk/text. https://www.redpocket.com/plans
They have annual plans too such as $209.99 gets you 7GB LTE plus unlimited talk/text each month (comes out to $17.50/month). https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay

NOTE: Their "month" is 30 days, and "annual" is 360 days.
Not a big phone user, but looking for a family plan with 3 or 4 lines and lots of data.
Currently have republic ,but the data amount is low for the price we are paying and they charge a lot for data .If not for price of data 1 Gb @ $5 would be happy with republic
so going to do the Amazon deal with Tracfone for a month and the rebates.
We also need news phones and looks like you can get $100 off phone plan per address or account?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14431031-am...promotion-0-01

We had Mint deal for awhile. Good deal, phones worked good and lots of data. I'll have to look latter and see what plan we had.
Did not care for their customer service. Wanted to switch plans after a new plan had just started within 12 hours and they would not change it.
Make sure it does not do auto payments, so you get a message in advance of bill due, amount.. etc
Maybe this is the norm.

Got two

The Red Pocket deals on ebay look very good deal . Also going to check out family plan from Tracfone and Totally wireless.

But not sure which network to get?
Phones are Motorola Moto G7 Power - Unlocked and Moto G power or stylus.
Phones are unlocked so can use any of the three/ just have to find what service works best in my area?

How to Tell What Mobile Network Your Tracfone Phone Uses

http://www.freeby50.com/2019/06/how-...work-your.html

Coverage Map: Who Has the Best Coverage?

https://www.letstalk.com/cellphones/...-coverage-map/

Going to go with Verizon. Going to be used mostly in Northern Ca and Oregon.
Really need my kids to start figuring these things out. hehe

My current provider uses Sprint network towers and will utilize the Verizontowers when a Sprint network tower isn't available

Last edited by JoeySeven; 10-31-20 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been with Republic Wireless for years, no complaints. Wifi-focused MVNO over Sprint/Verizon towers.
Their current base talk/text plan is 12.50/month, current base data plan is $20 for that plus 1 GB of data. You can buy data each month for $5/gb. I've only had to do that once or twice.

I agree RW might not be the best for a family plan. Coincidentally, I was window shopping other providers for the heck of it before signing up for RW's annual billing at a discount, and most other providers really push the family plans, which I don't need, or offer bonuses that I already have. My son is on my ex-wife's plan, and my wife is on AT&T whom I hate and is crazy expensive for one or two lines (also, I used to have them and they sucked).
Old 11-19-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw a Black Friday ad where you get an additional 3-months free if you buy a 3-month plan.
Old 11-24-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-17-Mo-Re...E/133058473014

$170 for 1 year.
Unlimited text/talk.
LTE 3GB/month.
You choose the network (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile)

NOTE: Their "month" is 30 days and "year" is 360 days.
Old 03-12-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I switched to Mint. I bought the unlimited 3-month plan for $100 (with tax and processing fee) and it's awesome. They do downgrade you SD for video on the unlimited plan but who cares. Saving mad money. My plan expires next month but will most likely renew for a year. A full year is $360 UNLIMITED, which is a great fucking price.
Old 03-12-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting. I just checked them and they are supposed to have good coverage where I am. Plus I'm on wifi most of the time.
It looks like it might be a few bucks more for me than Republic, BUT getting unlimited data throttled after 4GB highspeed is more than I get now.
My 12 month prepaid with RW goes through end of April so I may try Mint. If I can't get cheaper and the same service, I like more features for the same price.
Old 09-04-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So when it came to renew, a funny thing happened. Mint sent me a usage report a couple of weeks before my third month of coverage had ended saying that an unlimited plan for me was not the way to go since I don't use much data. They recommended I use their lowest and cheapest tier. 4GB per month at $15 per month or $180 for the year. I decided to go for the year plan and am on my 5th month and it's been gravy ever since. I've had no drop in quality and have never been close to running out of data. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't use my phone to watch movies or programming, so I'm clear.

I do have to give props to Mint for letting me know that it was not in my best interest to pay more for a plan I wasn't completely using up. Any other carrier would have kept their mouth shut and milked it for all it was worth. And for $180 for a year? Mint is a steal!
Old 09-05-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After starting this thread, I did sign up with Mint for 3 months and am now on the year plan, upped from 3GB to 4GB for the same $15. Same as Blu above. Happy with service, but I am not one of those (young) people who lives on their phone.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-05-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.