Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What kind of smart phone do you have and are you happy with it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-14-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,297 Posts

So what kind of smart phone do you all have? Are you happy with it? and do you plan to upgrade say to the iPhone 12 or Google Pixel 4A or 5 with 5G and such?

I have the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm debating between the new Google Pixel and maybe even the new iPhone 12. I've always been an Android user, but after watching the entire iPhone presentation yesterday, I am intrigued.

and please, if you have hate new tech, think that smart phones are a waste of money, violate your privacy or don't understand why people are so obsessed with them, please don't comment or thread crap this thread. I don't care what you think. I want to know what people currently have and if they are happy with them.

I would also assume for many of you that if you work from home a lot and have to communicate with your employers,. you can also write off the expense of a new smart phone as well. In my case, the monthly fees and the cost would be a tax write off.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-14-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: What kind of smart phone do you have and are you happy with it?

iPhone 11 pro and am happy with it. A year or so later it has good battery life, good pics and the screen is a decent size. No plans to upgrade this time around.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 314 Posts

iPhone Xs. Overall still happy with it but it's gotten beat up over the last 2 years. I always liked the customization of Android phones but I never liked that the ecosystem is built to run on so many different phone models, rather than being optimized for specific hardware. iOS has always seemed more polished to me for that reason, even though it's certainly lacking some features which Android has had for years.
DJariya (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,091 Likes on 851 Posts

I still have an iphone 6. It's been through 2 battery upgrades but it basically crashes on any kind of modern game. I'll most likely be upgrading to the 12 mini (I would've done 12 pro but I just don't see the upgraded camera as a must have for the price and it's not like I'm used to the larger form factor).

Old 10-14-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 574 Likes on 360 Posts

I have a Note 9 and I'm still very happy with it. No interest in moving or upgrading. It's still very speedy, has plenty of room on it, and I have no issues with it at all. I'm also a techie so I don't like being locked into the framework of the iPhone OS. Also, in my car anyhow, Android Auto works better than Apple Carplay so yet another reason I'm sticking with it.
Old 10-14-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My daily driver is a Note 20 Ultra and I love it. Great screen, great battery life & excellent camera. One UI ain't too shabby, either.
DJariya (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts

Wife and I each have iPhone 7 Plus. I used to do the every other version upgrades as soon as they came out, but haven't really felt the need since the 7. Likely will wait until battery life is a problem, or support for that version starts to be an issue, and then get the whatever is current version again - with the bigger size.
Old 10-14-20, 07:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm thankful that I do not own a smartphone.
zyzzle, this is a warning not to threadcrap. If you have a problem with smartphones don't post in their threads.
Old 10-14-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had an iPhone 8 for a couple of years and am satisfied with it. Prior to that, I had a succession of several Android phones. My thinking on and usage of a smartphone has evolved over the years. I do have some privacy concerns when it comes to smartphones. The iPhone isn't nearly as privacy-oriented as Apple's ads would have you believe, but of the conventional options, I think it does offer the best balance of relative privacy and functionality. My iPhone has been reliable and supports all that I need it to do, which I try to keep relatively minimal and straightforward. There was a time when I valued the myriad of possibilities that endless smartphone apps could offer. Now I'm the oppositie - I value having as few apps as possible to focus only on what I know is useful.

Feel free to ignore the rest of these scattered musings...
I've loosely entertained the notion of having only a "dumb" phone and maintaing the iPhone as a wi-fi only device for occasional use. Ultimately, the usefulness of being able to easily look up information and take photos while on the go is too much to give up, I think. I did back the Lightphone 2 on Indiegogo and I'm glad I did. I did so mostly to support the ethos behind it without necessarily intending to make it my primary phone. I appreciate the elegant simplicity of it and I can swap my sim to use it when I want to be less "connected" but still reachable for awhile. For privacy reasons, I'm still considering moving to a phone that runs GrapheneOS, but I probably won't go there until my iPhone bites the dust.

Old 10-15-20, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

I still have the first gen iPhone SE. Still love it, still good battery life, but will consider upgrading to 2nd gen SE when the right discount comes around.

I love the first gen SE size. Perfect fit for my pockets. Thatís my main reason for keeping it for so long.

I bought both my parents the 2nd gen SE earlier this year, since they were still using the 5s. So I guess Apple already has my money for it, twice
printerati (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 668 Likes on 506 Posts

iPhone XS Max, 256GB. Best phone I’ve ever had. Cameras on phones don’t interest me, but the one on mine does a good job. I may upgrade on the 13 or 14.
D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

iPhone XR. I upgraded from a 7 mostly because of the battery life on the XR. I can get almost 2 full days out of this thing where my 7 had gotten to where it barely lasted until lunchtime. Plus the color options were much nicer than the X or the 11.
Old 10-15-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm also still holding onto an original iPhone SE because of its size, but I will likely upgrade to the new iPhone 12 Mini within the next year because it's (finally) a worthwhile successor. I get to test just about every Verizon-compatible smartphone at work, which scratches any itch I have to play with something new, but I keep coming back to something that is unobtrusive (again, in terms of size) yet still able to do everything I need it to do.

I don't have any particular loyalty to Apple anymore, but I do appreciate the quality and optimization of their hardware and software relative to most comparable Android devices, and having an iPhone avoids a lot of headaches because the majority of my immediate and extended family also have them and love to FaceTime, etc. I honestly loved the simplicity of Windows Phone 8, and stuck with it for as long as it was viable prior to getting the SE.
Old 10-15-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts

Have the iPhone 11 Pro. Iíll probably stick with iPhones going forward. The battery life is still good a year later, in general I like how apps run better on iOS, and I still like to use iTunes.

I could be fine with an Android of some sort too (Iíd probably go Galaxy if going that route), and am not necessarily an Apple fanboy or anything. I do also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A which I use on occasion.

I donít own any other Apple products besides my phone, and in general think that while they make nice products theyíre overpriced just for the sake of the brand.
Old 10-15-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

I hold onto stuff until its on it's last legs. Six months ago, I finally upgraded from my old Samsung S5 to an S10. I wanted an S20 but I couldn't see past the $1K+ price tag. So far, I am happy with it. Not planning on upgrading to 5G any time soon because we don't use a lot of cell-phone data and we're on Verizon, which charges a monthly premium for 5G.

Old 10-16-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I got the iPhone 6s when it came out and went thru 3 batteries. I upgraded to the iPhone 11 in January. Very happy with it and don't plan on upgrading for a few years.
Old 10-20-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 287 Likes on 200 Posts

I've been on the Galaxy S9+ for 2.5 years. It still does everything I need super fast and great life on the original battery. My only complaint is the radiculos curved edge display. I might look at a Pixel next.
Old 10-21-20, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
iPhone XR. I upgraded from a 7 mostly because of the battery life on the XR. I can get almost 2 full days out of this thing where my 7 had gotten to where it barely lasted until lunchtime. Plus the color options were much nicer than the X or the 11.
I also have an iPhone XR. Bought for the bigger screen and battery life. I'm on my phone all day, so the battery lasts maybe 3/4 of a day. Very happy with it. Even so, I'm going to upgrade to the new iPhone 12 which has an even better battery life (and better screen, camera, processor, etc.) plus 5G.

For work, I have a Pixel 2. Still surprisingly capable. Google does a great job with their Pixel line. I will probably upgrade to the Pixel 6 next year. For Android, I only want the Pixels for the pure Android experience.

Old 10-21-20, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Rocking the iPhone SE because its most like the 4S which I feel is the perfect weight and size for a phone with no carrying case. I work from home and rarely do anything out of the house where I'm idle and would use my phone for anything other than calls, texts, and playing podcasts so the SE works for me. If/when I work outside the home again will probably get the latest iPhone. Until then I'll still with the SE. This is my second one.
Old 10-21-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
iPhone XS Max, 256GB. Best phone Iíve ever had. Cameras on phones donít interest me, but the one on mine does a good job. I may upgrade on the 13 or 14.
I have the same. It works well and battery is at 92% even with pretty heavy usage. Does everything I need well. Camera is pretty good. I am sure the 12 is better but imo not enough to upgrade. Hoping to hang onto it for another year.
Old 10-22-20, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Samsung galaxy s9 plus. Had the s7 plus and s4 before that. Just got a Galaxy Watch 3 and the new Tab s7 plus and I plan to buy a Samsung smart TV on black Friday so my next phone is probably going to be a note or the next galaxy. I like the Galaxy line. And honestly the only reason I went for the S9 was because the touchscreen was beginning to go on the S7 and I could see the writing on the wall so I traded it in for a really good price, more than eBay, and it was divided into monthly payments that ended up being the same as a really cheap price. That S7 wasn't going to last, though. The S9's fingerprint sensor is shot, maybe I can hold out til the Note 12 ...

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-22-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts

Galaxy S10. Like it a lot.
Old 10-22-20, 11:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm retired and don't have much need for a phone, other than personal calls, doctors calls, etc. I've been using a succession of $80 Moto phones (4,6,7 with some random letter prepended). With a $30 prepaid plan I guess it works ok.
Old 10-22-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

My work phone is an iPhone 8, it was not my choice, and before that I was strictly android. I hate it, and will be switching back to android as soon as I am able to, which isn't for another year .
Old 10-30-20, 12:47 PM
Admin

Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts

I have a Samsung S8 and it's still hanging in there. I may be in the market for a new phone for XMas or early next year as I'm finishing year 3 on this phone. It does the job for the apps I use.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.