Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Streaming signal question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-14-20, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Brand new to streaming and cutting cord. Verizon fios install next week 200/200Mbps PLAN
QUESTION: I have a tv that has a cat jack on the back of it. This particular TV is in finished basement next to my computer desk. Can I add network router on the cat line to my computer that already is tied into a network router in another part of house? So in other words the Internet signal will go thru two routers/hub/splitters to get signal to TV. I tested this TV by disconnecting cat from my computer and hookong up to TV, it did see my network and I watched a YouTube video
Old 08-14-20, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Streaming signal question

If I understand your setup correctly, it sounds like your computer in the basement is connected via Ethernet cable to a router in another room. To utilize that same cable to hook up the TV in the basement, I believe all you need is an Ethernet switch. Determine if your router has Fast ports or Gigabit ports and buy an appropriate speed switch, maybe $15-$25.

Install the new switch near your computer in the basement. Take the current Ethernet cable plugged into the computer and plug it into a port on the new switch, then use a new cable to plug from the new switch into your computer. Then run a 2nd new cable from the switch to your TV. It does not matter what ports you use on the switch for any of the cables.

Go the an electronics dealer website or Google “Ethernet switch”. I evidently don’t have enough posts in this forum to link that from my post now.

Edited to add:

It dawned on me you are getting Fios 200 Mbps service, so the router should have gigabit ports. Something along the lines of a Netgear GS605 would work for you.

Hope this helps - STXDave

Last edited by STXDave; 08-15-20 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Add new info
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (08-25-20)