Reload this Page >

PCs HDMI output has low volume

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-29-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The sound on the PC works fine,however the sound coming out of the HDMI out is very low.

I could change the HDMI cable but would like to find what other reasons that are causing the problem.
Old 06-29-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: PCs HDMI output has low volume

HDMI doesn't have analog audio, so I don't think a different HDMI cable is the issue. If you're getting sound, at all, the signal is getting through.

What is your HDMI device that has low output? If it's a TV, you can adjust its volume, as well as the sound volume on your PC, and the volume of your source (i.e. media player, etc). If the combination of those doesn't get you reasonable levels, I'm at a loss.

Old 06-29-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
HDMI doesn't have analog audio, so I don't think a different HDMI cable is the issue. If you're getting sound, at all, the signal is getting through.

What is your HDMI device that has low output? If it's a TV, you can adjust its volume, as well as the sound volume on your PC, and the volume of your source (i.e. media player, etc). If the combination of those doesn't get you reasonable levels, I'm at a loss.
I have turned up the volume on both the tv and PC in the past and doesn't improve the sound.

I have had HDMI cable's go bad in the past(mostly cable tv or direct tv output going into the TV).

I am using a 50ft HDMI cable and it's hard to keep it from getting kinks but my PC is in the bedroom and tv's are located through out the house making a 50 ft cable necessary.

Tomorrow I will replace it with a 17ft cable too see if that improves the sound and can always order another 50 ft cable at a later time.

I can also test the 50 ft HDMI cable on another PC and run it to a TV too see if the sound is good.
Old 06-30-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like the 50ft HDMI cable was bad because the 17ft HDMI cable is producing louder sound.
Old 06-30-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Looks like the 50ft HDMI cable was bad because the 17ft HDMI cable is producing louder sound.
50ft is just too long. You'd need an extremely THICK THICK THICK cable to reach that far without some sort of issue.
There is a reason why most HDMI cables are like 3ft long only.

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/import...-cable-length/
Old 06-30-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Hard to argue with the results, but it makes no sense that a bad digital cable would result in lower volume.

Anyway, good that you're up and running, again.
The following users liked this post:
dvd-4-life (07-07-20)