Reload this Page >

Help with network connectivity issue

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-13-20, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm hoping someone has come across this issue before and knows a fix.. because I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stuck.

First let me start by saying nothing has changed with my network configuration in over a year and this started about a month ago.

When I first boot my computer in the morning the network connectivity is super slow. I have a 400mb connection and it runs about 10-20mb on hard wired Cat 5e ethernet to my router which I've swapped out in case that was the issue. The other devices on the router run at normal speed. So.. it's my computer.

If I disable and re-enabled the network device (ethernet) in Windows that fixes the problem every time. I'm off and running at normal speeds again. For a while.. about an hour.. then it's back to the crawl. If I disable/enable ethernet again it fixes it. I'm trying to determine what the heck this could all possibly be. I've tried rolling back the drivers thinking perhaps some windows update caused it, I've tried disabling some services, turning off some firewall stuff.. even though none of that has changed. Nothing seems to resolve the issue.

When It's slow I see nothing causing it.. low CPU usage, low network usage, etc.. it just crawls. And the big issue is I use VPN to connect to work through my computer and because my base system is crawling - that does too. So it really cuts into my work. So I have a batch file to disable/enable my ethernet and I can run that occasionally throughout the day but it's not really a solution.

Any ideas? Something obvious I missed?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Help with network connectivity issue

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm hoping someone has come across this issue before and knows a fix.. because I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stuck.

First let me start by saying nothing has changed with my network configuration in over a year and this started about a month ago.

When I first boot my computer in the morning the network connectivity is super slow. I have a 400mb connection and it runs about 10-20mb on hard wired Cat 5e ethernet to my router which I've swapped out in case that was the issue. The other devices on the router run at normal speed. So.. it's my computer.

If I disable and re-enabled the network device (ethernet) in Windows that fixes the problem every time. I'm off and running at normal speeds again. For a while.. about an hour.. then it's back to the crawl. If I disable/enable ethernet again it fixes it. I'm trying to determine what the heck this could all possibly be. I've tried rolling back the drivers thinking perhaps some windows update caused it, I've tried disabling some services, turning off some firewall stuff.. even though none of that has changed. Nothing seems to resolve the issue.

When It's slow I see nothing causing it.. low CPU usage, low network usage, etc.. it just crawls. And the big issue is I use VPN to connect to work through my computer and because my base system is crawling - that does too. So it really cuts into my work. So I have a batch file to disable/enable my ethernet and I can run that occasionally throughout the day but it's not really a solution.

Any ideas? Something obvious I missed?

Thanks.
Have you tried connecting to wireless or another port on the router? Maybe your network card (or your router's network input) is fried?

I'm assuming you already looked at network traffic coming from your computer and it's not congested or higher than normal or anything. Also maybe try assigning a different ip through dhcp to rule out some kind of duplicate ip problem.
Old 05-13-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Have you tried connecting to wireless or another port on the router? Maybe your network card (or your router's network input) is fried?

I'm assuming you already looked at network traffic coming from your computer and it's not congested or higher than normal or anything. Also maybe try assigning a different ip through dhcp to rule out some kind of duplicate ip problem.
Thank you for these suggestions. Well I don't have WIFI on my computer so I can't connect that way. I can try swapping to another port... that hadn't occurred to me. Traffic, from the router statics, shows low on the port.

So my DHCP range only goes up to 192 so I'll try giving it a fixed IP address above that and see if that does anything. I don't have anything on a fixed IP down in the range the DHCP server would have assigned but.. never know what weirdness is going on.

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Thank you for these suggestions. Well I don't have WIFI on my computer so I can't connect that way. I can try swapping to another port... that hadn't occurred to me. Traffic, from the router statics, shows low on the port.

So my DHCP range only goes up to 192 so I'll try giving it a fixed IP address above that and see if that does anything. I don't have anything on a fixed IP down in the range the DHCP server would have assigned but.. never know what weirdness is going on.

Thanks again.
You can always just get a cheapie usb-connected network cable or wireless card. Not a long term solution but it will at least rule out some OS level problem.

I just googled it and this is the first thing that came up:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...abled.3535137/

which is basically reinstall the OS (probably because of some kind of driver issue, but it seems like you looked at that... who knows though)
Old 05-13-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Laptop or Desktop? Make sure all the power saving shenanigans are disabled.
Old 05-13-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You can always just get a cheapie usb-connected network cable or wireless card. Not a long term solution but it will at least rule out some OS level problem.

I just googled it and this is the first thing that came up:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...abled.3535137/

which is basically reinstall the OS (probably because of some kind of driver issue, but it seems like you looked at that... who knows though)
Yeah I'm sure reinstalling the OS will fix the problem. And I'm serious about that. But... that's like my really last resort. I did see that link also when I was googling around for a solution.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Laptop or Desktop? Make sure all the power saving shenanigans are disabled.
It's a desktop. Only power setting is related to the UPS and that's only so it can shut itself down cleanly after being on battery power for 10 minutes.
Old 05-13-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good deal. I once had a Realtek PCIe firmware update add features, that were on by default, that screwed with it. Dropped me down from 1 Gbps to 100 mbps after a couple hours.

Are you using 1 Gbps / Full or Auto?
Old 05-14-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Good deal. I once had a Realtek PCIe firmware update add features, that were on by default, that screwed with it. Dropped me down from 1 Gbps to 100 mbps after a couple hours.

Are you using 1 Gbps / Full or Auto?
Thanks for the background Rich. This one is an Intel i219-v. My wife's computer is the exact same build as mine and her system has no issues. So I don't think it's some weird adapter/router incompatibility.

I have Win 10 set for Auto Negotiation. It is showing it's up at 1Gbps. Think I should switch it to 1Gbps / Full? I can give it a try.. but it looks like it's negotiation is working,
Old 05-14-20, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would try it, though now that I think about it, it's a misnomer since Auto-Negotiate is mandatory on current hardware -- even if you hard set it to 1gbps/full it still uses auto-negotiate, but it will only allow that one connection type.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the i219 and changing the ethernet between your computer and whatever you're connecting to?

Last edited by RichC2; 05-14-20 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to recommend the driver uninstall/reinstall as well

Dumb question but do you have any QoS setup at all?

A reinstall of the OS (If the driver uninstall/reinstall doesn't work) would more than likely fix this as well if you're not getting anywhere.
Old 05-14-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I did uninstall the drivers and also even deleted the device and let windows re-discover and install them again. I even downloaded some drivers that were a little newer than the ones Windows had found and no change with those either.

No QOS is not enabled on the router.

Thanks again..
Old 05-14-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like a sensitive card https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...initialization
Old 05-15-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iím sorry I canít give you an easy fix but I had the same problem. I eventually used Windows Fresh Start and that took care of the problem.
Old 05-19-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So I think I have this solved. It's been solid for 4 days now which is far longer than it has been.

About a month ago or so I received a USB battery charger in the mail for my cordless headset that I use for work. I was out of USB ports to connect it to so I connected it to the USB port on the back of the modem which supplied power to the charger and it worked great. I had tested at that time to make sure there were no problems with this by testing the speed and connectivity and everything was fine. The problems started a few days later. It turns out this charger has a faulty wire where it connects into the unit where the battery is and it was causing the connectivity to go in and out so I think it kept sending some signal to the modem over and over again which was causing the degradation in service. Having said that, however, this was a device plugged into the modem which my machine does not directly connect to (there's a router in between). So the fact that this would impact my computer and not anyone else's makes no sense and the fact that if I disable and re-enable my network card shouldn't have any impact on any of that either - but it seemed to.

So I'm not sure how the dots connect here to it actually solving my problem but since i removed the device from that USB port 4 days ago I've had no speed reduction at all. Before the problems were happening several times a day.

Computers are weird.