Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Home network setup - How much would the following equipment cost?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-28-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking to build a VERY small network in my house for learning purposes - just need something big enough to last me for general learning.

Does anyone know where to buy and how much it would cost for the following (obviously everything will be business-grade and I'm even open to buying all refurbished equipment):

Two Routers: one will need to be an ASA

Two Switches: (Can even be old school catalyst switches).

HP ProLiant server (I found a refurbed DL360 G7 on New Egg business for 176 bucks...is that the cheapest I can get one for?)

CAT5 cables: really just looking for the best place to buy these at at the cheapest price.

My go to site is "New Egg business" but I definitely am curious to know if there are any other sites out there where I can get everything cheaper.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Home network setup - How much would the following equipment cost?

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
CAT5 cables: really just looking for the best place to buy these at at the cheapest price.
Monoprice.com... my go to for all cabling needs including HDMI cables. I've been threatened by Best Buy employees for quietly mentioning the website.

Go with CAT6... Not much difference in price and more future proof.
Old 04-28-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Monoprice.com... my go to for all cabling needs including HDMI cables. I've been threatened by Best Buy employees for quietly mentioning the website.

Cool - thanks
Old 04-28-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

With Cisco stuff it's definitely easier to just use the simulators for learning, but I think the 2nd hand hardware is actually cheaper heh.

You can scour Ebay for some good deals on ASA starting at about $50 and Catalyst Switches around $30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-CATAL...0AAOSwIuVdMNXu
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-ASA55...5/292378057227

That ASA is apparently on 9.2(4) which is circa 2015 (w/ ASDM 7.7(1)).. The Catalyst should work as an L2. Licensing should be fine on both but Cisco being Cisco I can't say that with absolute certainty.

Not sure about the Proliant though, any computer should technically do, unless there's a specific requirement for them.

Monoprice is definitely a great choice for cable, you should be able to get them pretty cheap on there, no real reason to buy a crimper + spool unless you're doing a ton of them, and it doesn't sound like you will be.,

You could also check your local e-Recycling places, a lot of businesses dump old equipment at places like that.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-28-20 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Actually Cat 6A. There is negligible difference between Cat 5e and Cat 6. However, if youre not doing more than gigabit Ethernet, then Cat 5e is more than sufficient.

As for the rest of it, definitely go on eBay and just get old used network equipment. For the server, not sure why youd need one, but you can get old ones on eBay too. Id suggest you get a tower model server rather than a rackmount unless you enjoy the sound of a roaring wind tunnel in your house.
Old 04-28-20, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jet engine white noise makers.
Old 04-29-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't really matter to me server-wise and I'm getting one for a NAS setup plus I just one want one to mess with RAID and to play around with in general.

Licensing has me worried, I'm hoping there are no issues no matter how I buy (new or refurb) but ya never know - can you buy licensing from CISCO directly at all??

Also, I'm actually fine if I find getting all of this hardware is a PINTA to just buy/rent and entire online remote setup - do you guys know if anything like that exists online - a virtual network you can build out online? I think you can do this with Azure but we're talking Microsoft and I don't want to spend big bucks at all.

Old 04-29-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are actually some good freebie learning accounts available from Azure and AWS but you wont really be using Cisco stuff there (which licenses separately, like the FTD/FMCs. You can use them but the throughput and connection limits are so restrictive it's actually challenging to verify if what you did is actually working.) but they're excellent to toy around with. Cisco doesn't do direct licensing AFAIK, but for smaller capacity items like a small business ASA or Layer 2 switch, you shouldn't have an issue. Most of what's limited on the ASA are VPN Peers above 10 and Anyconnect users above 2.

also this may be of some interest: https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/care...-ccnp-and-ccie

I did a CCNA class a while back that had some excellent simulators that were hosted on Cisco's site.

There's a subscription version available from Cisco called VIRL/Cisco Modeling Lab that's about $199/year.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D53i00000S9IQb/virl-release-date-branding-change-announcement

Last edited by RichC2; 04-29-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool thanks.