Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Wait for WiFi 6 mesh prices to come down or just buy something now?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-19-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

This is long, so bare with me:

I have a modest size house (2850 sf) that is single story. I have numerous devices that need connecting all over the house (game consoles, streaming devices, tablets, phones, laptops, Nest cams, etc). I have an existing router that is pretty good (TP Link AC3200 tri band router) that does a fair job of keeping up with everything. I notice on the fringes of my property, occasionally there are signal issues (mostly with a Nest cam). We just remodeled our backyard so I want to be able to stream movies to an eventual outdoor projector/screen. My concern is that will be an issue with my current router due to distance, so I was thinking of getting a mesh system with 3 access points (router and 2 nodes), so basically blanket my property. Thing is, WiFi 6 is out now and was looking, but holy shit the prices. Would an existing tr-iband mesh system be worth investing in now or wait until WiFi 6 prices come down?
Old 04-19-20, 08:25 PM

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Wait for WiFi 6 mesh prices to come down or just buy something now?

I have a 2900 sqft single story house. Two years ago I bought the Orbi RBK33 and it covers the entire property. It was around $275. I'm very happy with it. It solved all my streaming problems. I don't know anything about the latest tech models. But if I needed a replacement, I'd definitely buy this again (or maybe the RBK50)

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-21-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Just go with a wifi extender and don't worry about 802.11ax.

It'll be 2-3 years before it's mainstream and cheap, anyway.
Old 04-23-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I bit the bullet and got 3 eero pro refurbs from Amazon.
Old 04-23-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know how they work. I want to get a mesh system but don't want to screw with my network right now as everyone in my house needs wifi.
Old 04-23-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
Let us know how they work. I want to get a mesh system but don't want to screw with my network right now as everyone in my house needs wifi.
​​​​​​I considered that but will do it on a day when nobody is required to connect. From everything I have seen. You can get this set up in like 15 mins.
Old 04-23-20, 06:00 PM

Received 426 Likes on 297 Posts

I bought a mesh system a few weeks back since both my wife and I are working from home. I had the eero system in my cart, but it had a long delay on it. I ended up going with the TPLink Deco for 5,500 sq ft. It was $40 off, plus I used an AMEX 20% off discount, so the whole thing was only $118. So far so good. My speeds are up significantly compared to the router the cable company supplied. I have one set up in my media room, so streams are much better for 4K.
Old 04-26-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk God

After a snafu with updating the routers I have them up and running. So far so good. Thing are blazing fast. Coverage is great in my house. Outside I was still getting over 200 Mbps about 30ish feet away.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-26-20 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice !
Old 04-29-20, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought this two set Oribi from Costco a few months ago on Sale for $129, and it's a big improvement over the Verizon wifi-router and wifi extenders

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-...100398382.html
Old 09-24-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks like Amazon is getting into the mesh router game. These are streeting November 2nd.

Eero 6 Dual band https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B085VM9Z..._xpl_scar_html

Eero Pro 6 Tri band
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-16-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry for the bump. This isn't mesh based but if anyone is looking for a cheap entry level WiFi 6 router, I picked up the TP-Link AX10/AX1500 during the prime days for about $65 and have been fairly impressed.

It doesn't support the 160 mhz channel, so it only hits about 1.2 gbps but it's easily the best basic wifi device I've used to date - everything just connects and runs faster, this is especially noticeable with the initial buffers when streaming video which used to hang for a few seconds on my previous devices.

Dual band but covers the basics (a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2.4/5). Either way, just figured I'd give a quick recommendation for any other cheap asses out there.
Old 10-17-20, 02:35 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

"only" 1.2 Gbps! Wow, such a complaint... If I hit 120 mbps, I think I'm running in the fast, fast lane with my ISP. $65 for a router *is* a good price these days. The days of your old basic $19 router are long gone.
Old 10-17-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

The 1.2 is less a complaint and more a specification, I was just happy it had gigabit ports the LAN side. (People on deals sites though will most definitely complain about not getting a solid 3 gbps on a $65 router)
Old 10-18-20, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Sorry for the bump. This isn't mesh based but if anyone is looking for a cheap entry level WiFi 6 router, I picked up the TP-Link AX10/AX1500 during the prime days for about $65 and have been fairly impressed.

It doesn't support the 160 mhz channel, so it only hits about 1.2 gbps but it's easily the best basic wifi device I've used to date - everything just connects and runs faster, this is especially noticeable with the initial buffers when streaming video which used to hang for a few seconds on my previous devices.

Dual band but covers the basics (a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2.4/5). Either way, just figured I'd give a quick recommendation for any other cheap asses out there.
I bought the tp link ac1200 a few years ago, the predecessor to the ax1500 and not WiFi 6. Itís a pretty solid router on a budget. I picked up mine for $7 on sale but it was normally around the same price as what you paid. Mesh is better for me mainly because i can hardwire my devices directly to the mesh access points to provide a more stable connection. But otherwise, my Google WiFi mesh performance isnít a night and day difference over the tplink on WiFi, especially for those who have smaller houses/ apartments.