Reload this Page >

Anyone members of a Discord community?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-31-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 164 Likes on 135 Posts

I was a member of a Discord community for a YouTube movie vlogger for a few months now. The Discord community required you to be a Patreon supporter of his and I was.

Honestly, I hated it. The members who were active on that community were fucking terrible people. When the Vlogger became busy with other projects and didn't have time to chat or participate in his community that much, the members got extremely angry with him and started insulting him left and right in their chats. I tried to defend him and they would start attacking me. There was really no moderation in that community other than Bots. The guy is directing an independent documentary and produces a live daily 2 hour YouTube show 6 days a week. I would think a Discord community is low priority right now.

The Vlogger even said in a recent live chat on his YouTube channel why he doesn't participate anymore and he even said that due to lack of participation I won't be doing it anymore. The people in the community basically took that as an insult that they as Patreon supporters were being ignored and got really angry with him.

My last straw was today when I popped in and saw them continuously insult and talk shit about him again. I called some of them out for being fucking man babies. They got angry and ganged up and insulted me again for being a "shill" and defending him. They all admit that he sucks blah blah

I got out of there and deleted my profile. Fuck them. In these kind of times, I was just looking to chat movies with his fans, but I had to deal with a bunch of child man babies who felt like they weren't getting enough attention. I don't need that kind of aggravation.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (05-24-20)
Old 03-31-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Anyone members of a Discord community?

I’m in Discord for one of the games I play, and it’s fine. Apparently the vlogger you were following attracted a lot of jerks.
DJariya (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

It's right there in the name. What were you expecting?
Old 04-01-20, 01:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I really don't 'get' discord. It feels like old school IRC in a way, but I just don't really like that sort of format anymore. Seems to be massively popular in gaming communities and a lot of Patron creators seem to have started using it; presumably because their fans either demand it or create it on their own.
​​​​​​
Not sure who the vlogger mentioned in the OP is (is it that Stuckmann guy?), but it sounds like they're better off not participating in that nonsense. Entitled fans like that are fucking nuts.
DJariya (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 164 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I really don't 'get' discord. It feels like old school IRC in a way, but I just don't really like that sort of format anymore. Seems to be massively popular in gaming communities and a lot of Patron creators seem to have started using it; presumably because their fans either demand it or create it on their own.
​​​​​​
Not sure who the vlogger mentioned in the OP is (is it that Stuckmann guy?), but it sounds like they're better off not participating in that nonsense. Entitled fans like that are fucking nuts.
The Vlogger is John Campea formerly of Collider Video. His fans can be entitled assholes.
Old 04-01-20, 11:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

^ Yeah, I've heard of him, but I don't know if I've seen any of his stuff. Anyway, you're spot-on about fans and discord servers... As always, I'm sure there are good communities with competent mods holding the fort, but it can be too easy for that kind of thing to go south when even the creator has bowed out of participating.
Those guys complaining about his 'engagement' should stop being babies and just stop contributing to his Patreon (if they even still do... I would think that even if they cancel, they won't exactly be booted from the Discord server, and who knows who else they're giving invite links to)
DJariya (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

We use one for the local PokemonGo groups. They post times for the raids so everybody can show up at the same time. Especially good for right now where we can take our cars to the parks and stay in while we battle.
Old 04-01-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Discord for PokemonGo but I'm not very active and I used to be part of the Discord Group for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes.
Old 04-01-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Seems to draw a much younger demographic than most other social outlets on computer.
Old 04-01-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run my own Discord server and at one point it had over 2,000 users in it. I think currently it's dropped to about 1,700. But it's honestly not nearly as active as you'd think it'd be given the number of users within it. I'm also within about 20 other Discord servers though. I use Discord and IRC both daily and remain logged in 24/7 on both.

Discord is a gamers haven. The overlay mechanics and such make it easy to utilize while heavy gaming... and voice chatting is also an excellent way to communicate with your team.
Old 04-02-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

(More generally).

Back in the day when I first came across stuff like IRC, I knew right away it resembled the same crap as CB radio in my youth. So I knew to walk away before it became an addiction to the drama + feuds of the "regulars". 30+ years later, discord appears to very much resemble this same stuff.

At least for CB radio, most of the drama + feuds were largely local. Somewhat surprising when the folks on two sides (or more) of a drama/feud, finally see each other face to face in person. In contrast, IRC and Discord type drama + feuds seem to worldwide where the folks involved never meet one another in person.

Old 05-17-20, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've joined a few Discord communities but see it as a giant time vacuum. The live stream nature of it means just staying online and reading/responding to things without being able to do much else at the same time. It's just too continuous for me. I much prefer forums.
Old 05-18-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I belong to some trivia Discords where people share answers for games like HQ Trivia. It's helped me win a little money... Almost got me $5000; I went 19/20 on Who Wants to be a Millionaire last week.
PhantomStranger (05-18-20)