Reload this Page >

Connecting 2nd monitor to Mac Book?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw someone have multiple monitors set up on his PC and he was browsing the internet on one monitor, and on the second one he was using MS Office. Can you do this with Mac Books? I have an extra PC Monitor and want to use it as a second screen for my Mac Book.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-20, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Connecting 2nd monitor to Mac Book?

Yes you should be able to do this. What model/year is your MacBook? What type of connections is on the monitor? You will probable need an adapter.
Old 01-31-20, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351
Old 02-01-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can do it - you *will* need an adapter. The adapter needed will depend on the ports on your mac and the monitor type you're wanting to connect.
Old 02-03-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks everyone.
klemsaba
I think my mac is a 2015 model and my extra monitor I want to connect has a VGA connector.

Brian Shannon
That is VERY helpful, thanks. I'm reading it right now.

BobO'Link
An adapter to connect an old VGA to the non-VGA ports on my mac, right? I still have to finish reading the info at the Apple support link, but a YouTube video I was watching said something about having to download an app or program to make it all work, as far as extended desktop goes. I hope that's not the case.
Old 02-03-20, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Thanks everyone.
klemsaba
I think my mac is a 2015 model and my extra monitor I want to connect has a VGA connector.

Brian Shannon
That is VERY helpful, thanks. I'm reading it right now.

BobO'Link
An adapter to connect an old VGA to the non-VGA ports on my mac, right? I still have to finish reading the info at the Apple support link, but a YouTube video I was watching said something about having to download an app or program to make it all work, as far as extended desktop goes. I hope that's not the case.
Yes - an adapter to convert/connect your mac's port to VGA. You do *not* need any special software - the functionality is built into macs - at least for the past 5 years.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351
Old 02-03-20, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
What kind of monitor from the past 20 years has only a VGA connector?

You didn't specify if you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro. You probably want something like this:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...to-vga-adapter

If it's a MacBook though, then you'll want the USB-C version. But honestly, you should check if the monitor has a DVI or HDMI or DisplayPort connection. You don't want to use VGA unless that's the only option.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Yes - an adapter to convert/connect your mac's port to VGA. You do *not* need any special software - the functionality is built into macs - at least for the past 5 years.
Try more like 33 years. The Macintosh II supported extending the desktop over up to 6 monitors upon release in 1987:
https://www.macworld.com/article/116...niversary.html
Old 02-13-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TheBang
Thanks for the heads up on which one to buy. I just got it, plugged it in, followed the instructions, and voila, instantly working. This is awesome!
Thanks everyone.