Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the new Edge browser?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-17-20, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I follow the Firefox browser thread here so wonder if anyone is/will be trying the latest Edge browser? I downloaded it to give it a shot but for now, I have no intention of making it my default browser. I tend to "play" with browsers, and operating systems for that matter, as sort of a hobby. Yes, I need to get a life! Just curious of others thoughts on it and their opinions of security and ease of use, etc.
Old 01-17-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Anyone using the new Edge browser?

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I follow the Firefox browser thread here so wonder if anyone is/will be trying the latest Edge browser? I downloaded it to give it a shot but for now, I have no intention of making it my default browser. I tend to "play" with browsers, and operating systems for that matter, as sort of a hobby. Yes, I need to get a life! Just curious of others thoughts on it and their opinions of security and ease of use, etc.
Been using it for a couple of days. For me itís basically a slightly faster, reskinned version of Chrome. Even the new device sign in emails from Google and Apple ID it as Chrome 79. I donít like the new print settings and options. Old Edge was better in that regard.
Old 01-17-20, 07:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

I mostly use Edge in iOS to get my daily microsoft points, but also as a backup if someone won’t load in safari or chrome.
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (01-18-20)
Old 01-20-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes I can't help but use it, since Windows 10 constantly "forgets" that I don't want it to be my default browser and PDF viewer.

As a browser, it isn't much better or worse than the other major Windows options. As a PDF viewer, it thoroughly blows.
Old 01-20-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nope. Still really terrible in comparison to FireFox.
Old 01-23-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I keep forgetting Edge is the (only?) browser you can view Netflix in 1080p. So, for me, I just use it for Netflix and Microsoft Rewards.
Old 01-24-20, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Nope. Still really terrible in comparison to FireFox.
Actually for me, and I alternate between Edge and FF, it seems "snappier" than FF. Of course, I've loaded FF down with extensions and played with the about:config settings posted in other threads. With Edge I only added LastPass and uBlock Origin. I guess that may impact the browsers!
Old 02-13-20, 10:58 AM

Well, I was enthusiastic about Edge but now it seems to often be "not responding" and I've even had to kill the process on a couple of occasions. I've only added uBlock Origin and Bitwarden (comparing to LastPass) as plugins. I did just turn off hardware acceleration for comparison.
Old 03-18-20, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I am using the new Microsoft Edge with new Chrome along with "BING" as search engine. Nothing better and very straight forward. Nothing better IMO.