Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Burning DVD Problem

Old 12-03-19, 06:03 PM

Burning DVD Problem

I have spent the better part of the entire day trying to burn a video to DVD. I am using a Samsung SE-S084 external writer, which I have had for years with no problem. It doesn't seem to have mattered whether the writer was plugged into a hub or directly to my MBP - the results have been the same.

I am using the same media that I have successfully used in the past - Imation DVDs - +R and +RW are what I have on hand, and in the past I have used this media with no issues. As a side note, as part of my testing I also tried burning an audio CD, and for that I used the Phillips -R CD's I had and was able to successfully burn the CD using just the burn function in Finder.

For the DVD's, I used Finder, iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe, an older version of Roxio Toast Titanium, and a download tool called Burn. On numerous attempts, it would tell me that the burn was successful, but after the disc was ejected and then reloaded there were no files on the disc. Using Finder I ended up with an error message which I have attached.

I am completely baffled why this seemingly simple task is giving me such a hard time. I don't burn DVD's often these days, but the writer seems to be functioning properly, and I don't think the media is the problem either.

If anyone has some thoughts or suggestions I would love to hear them.

iSkysoft window showing completed burn

Finder window after "completed" burn

One error message

Finder window after actual successful CD burn
Old 12-05-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Burning DVD Problem

CDs and DVDs actually use different lasers at different wavelengths, so it's possible the DVD laser can't burn reliably anymore, while the CD laser can.

Is there any other computer you can try the burner on? A friend or family member's computer? The issue may be your MBP instead of the burner, testing it on a different computer could help figure that out.
Old 12-07-19, 09:54 AM

Re: Burning DVD Problem

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
CDs and DVDs actually use different lasers at different wavelengths, so it's possible the DVD laser can't burn reliably anymore, while the CD laser can.

Is there any other computer you can try the burner on? A friend or family member's computer? The issue may be your MBP instead of the burner, testing it on a different computer could help figure that out.
Thanks for that tidbit. I actually have a new drive, some new DVD's, and another computer is available, so as soon as I have a moment I'm going to further troubleshoot this and figure it out.