Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you bought any new tech that you quickly regretted buying?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Have you bought any new tech (last 3-5 years) that you quickly regretted buying?
Yes
36.36%
Sometimes
27.27%
No, if I invest in new tech, I make sure it's practical for my needs.
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So have any of you guys purchased any new tech lately....let's say for arguments sake last 3-5 years that you quickly regretted buying? I don't want to go too far back with tech that no longer exists like Atari, pagers and shit.

Talking about new iPhones, Android phones, game consoles, tablets, PCs, Laptops, streaming devices and such. Something that you think you were too caught up in the hype and then woke up one day and said shit, that was a waste of money and not practical at all. Or something that just didn't function properly to your liking? Or even something that you thought you were getting a good deal, but it turned out to be dated real quickly. Or a few weeks or days later, you thought, damn I could have used that money for something else?

I watch a lot of iJustine on YouTube and some of you know she's a huge tech geek. I get really excited at some of the super cool unboxings of the latest tech she gets. But, most of it is totally out of my affordability range or not practical at all for me.

Recently for me, I would probably say the NES Mini and maybe the Amazon Fire 7 tablet. I got the Fire 7 really cheap from Target and had a coupon. But, upon using it a few times, it simply wasn't very practical compared to using my iPad.

I think I jumped the gun and bought the 1st generation iPad Air way too early. I bought it when it only had 16 gb of memory. That quickly became unusable withing a year and a half.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-30-19 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Have you bought any new tech that you quickly regretted buying?

Going slightly further back in time: Xbox360.

Originally I picked up an Xbox360 to play GTA4. At the time I originally didn't plan on buying an Xbox360. Though that changed after I read a lot of bad reviews about the pc version of GTA4 being a complete clusterfuck which required a powerful then-cutting edge computer to get flicker-free motion.

Unfortunately I never figured out how to use the xbox360 controller properly, and largely gave up after awhile.

If the pc version of GTA4 had not been a screwup in those days, most likely I would have never purchased an Xbox360. Since then, I have not purchased any consoles.
Old 11-30-19, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regrets:
-Logitech mouses
-A couple of LG smartphones

Alternatives:
-Bought a dirt cheap
mouse mouse
on Amazon and it works incredibly good.
-Super happy with my Samsung Galaxy phone. An old model but still works great.
Old 11-30-19, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As one of the very few who bought a HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, I have to answer “Yes”.

But no regrets about buying a Blu Ray player with SACD playback. So sad that format died, it was awesome
Old 11-30-19, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No.

I'm not really an early adopter, and I don't generally jump onto bandwagons unless I think something is a really killer app.

The last times I did this were getting a DVD player and later a blu-ray player.

When I was younger, if I had the money, I probably could have been snookered into buying a lot of useless tech. When I was twelve I probably would have bought an Amiga.

But now that I'm older, and have seen things like DVHS and HD-DVD crash and burn, I'm really conservative with my electronics.
Old 11-30-19, 10:04 AM

Not a regret because it is still a quality receiver, but we bought our Onkyo the year before the next model had bluetooth in it and it was the same price or lower. That really stunk. We've got a workaround with a little plug-and-play bluetooth thing in the aux jack but it was frustrating when I realized what had happened.
Old 11-30-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
... with SACD playback. So sad that format died, it was awesome
(On a tangent).

In those days circa early 2000s, I really wanted something like dvd-audio to succeed. (Less so sacd). It was a much more technically robust design than the old redbook audio cd. I also suspected the encryption on dvd-audio would eventually be cracked, especially if the dvd patent holders were still incompetent and didn't hire a professional cryptographer.

Unfortunately in those days, only one dvd-audio/sacd title was ever released which I had any interest in. (It will remain unnamed). Since then, there has been no other dvd-audio / sacd / bluray-audio titles released which I was interested in.

Fast forward to the present, I haven't purchased any bluray-audio discs. So far no titles I'm interested in have been released on bluray-audio.

At this point, I don't even care anymore about recent (or hypothetical future) audio disc formats. As I get older, I find I listen to less and less music where most audio cds I buy end up only being listened to once or twice. Easier to use a streaming service or youtube to "sample" such music which I end up only listening to once or twice.
Old 11-30-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Echo Auto immediately comes to mind. It was only $25 but for the life of me I can't figure out what it's good for.
Old 11-30-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the most part no, I typically do a fair amount of research when I am paying over $20 for something. Might as well, as you know you will be relaxing on the couch at some point, especially when I am going to have to put in a lot more effort to replace that money.
Old 11-30-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some cheap tablets like the fire and also had a book tablet. I also had some Samsung tablets and lg I think. But Nowadays I just buy iPads which work best for me.

I also have some voice assistants like Google home and Alexa that rarely got used. The Google home was never even taken out of the box.

I was really into buying new phones, usually several a year but I am over that now. Just don't feel like there's enough difference to upgrade. I am on the xs max and no real plans to upgrade to the 11 pro or 12 or whatever next year's model will be called.

Also in the past I loved Androids for their customizability but that's less important now. Plus Android especially Samsung runs slower after the first year, in my experience. I know Apple does slow down their phones once the battery hits a certain level too but haven't seen that yet on my xs max.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 11-30-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A few years ago, I got a Fire TV device that I thought I could use to stream at an annual vacation house that didn’t have other TV inputs, but it didn’t work for whatever reason, and I still haven’t used it.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As one of the very few who bought a HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, I have to answer “Yes”.

But no regrets about buying a Blu Ray player with SACD playback. So sad that format died, it was awesome
No regrets about my HD DVD add-on, which worked great (though noisy) and still works to this day for the handful of titles I never acquired on BD or digital.

However, while I went purple at the start of the HD wars, I do regret going red when I had the choice.
Old 11-30-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I regretted buying my PS Vita close to launch. I still don’t think it ever reached its full potential in the US and was abandoned pretty early, but I’ve grown to like it more the past year or so. So I guess not exactly.

My HD DVD player was kind of a waste I guess. I got it cheap right before the format war ended. Used it for a while but ultimately it was something I didn’t really need.
Old 11-30-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We bought this version of the Kindle that had a color screen and could play videos and stuff and ended up selling it pretty quick because it was too heavy and the interface wasn’t great.

But otherwise we always wait a little bit on new tech, at least a couple months, for the kinks to be worked out.

I do regret selling my PSP. I still see the movie discs all the time and could have made a fun little collection.
Old 11-30-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Smith Corona Word Processer....

More recently (circa 2008), buying into HD-DVD, especially when they folded and everything went dirt cheap. Got very little mileage out of what I bought.

Last edited by E Unit; 12-02-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I own a Gameboy Micro and a Nintendo DSi. Neither system got more than a few hours of use. Gimmick systems released just before new generation systems came out.
Old 12-01-19, 02:17 AM

I regret buying a Fire Tablet and a Samsung Tablet. My first iPad was getting old and I wanted a cheaper alternative. But neither of these could compare to the iPad experience. Every time I see the latest Fire on sale for $50, I think of giving it another try. But I know it'll just end up in the junk closet.

I also regret buying a Chromecast and a Fire TV. Those are both in the junk closet. The Roku is the only streaming device I use these days.
Old 12-01-19, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I kind of regret buying the 1st generation iPad Mini when it was first announced back in 2012. I think it cost something like $300 for 16 GB version. It was great when it came initially. However, it quickly burned out withing 6 or 7 months. Luckily I was still in warranty and the Apple store swapped me out with a new one. But, 16 GB of storage space quickly ran out fast. With my apps needing really big updates and the OS also needing updates, I was literally running with maybe 5% space left. At the time, I should have probably spent more money and got a 32 GB or 64 GB version.

Old 12-02-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I kind of regret buying the 1st generation iPad Mini when it was first announced back in 2012. I think it cost something like $300 for 16 GB version. It was great when it came initially. However, it quickly burned out withing 6 or 7 months. Luckily I was still in warranty and the Apple store swapped me out with a new one. But, 16 GB of storage space quickly ran out fast. With my apps needing really big updates and the OS also needing updates, I was literally running with maybe 5% space left. At the time, I should have probably spent more money and got a 32 GB or 64 GB version.
Iirc, iPad was launched at $500.
Old 12-02-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last thing I regretted buying immediately after purchase was an ipod touch several years ago. I think I used it for a couple of days before I realized that the very limited capacity was more of a hindrance than the rest of the device could make up for. Other than that, I generally do a fair amount of research, and don't really regret anything for a while.
Old 12-02-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't think of too many genuine regrets. The only one that jumps out at me is that sometime around 2003 or so, I bought a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 PDA. It was a pretty cool device with a physical keyboard, compact flash memory, expansion slot for some peripherals, and it ran a flavor of Linux which made it ripe for unique apps to be developed. All in all though, the thing was expensive, oversized for a normal pocket and fairly limited functionally, so it wasn't that practical as a mobile device. And then just a few years later, the iPhone came out and represented a massive evolution in mobile device capability, comparatively.

A few that had the potential to be regrets, but were redeemed:
  • HD-DVD player and disc collection - I enjoyed the format while it lasted and got out at the right time, selling the player for more than I had paid and unloading the discs I had with relative ease, so no real regrets there.
  • Multiple Amazon Fire tablets - I jumped on a Black Friday deal a few years ago and ended up with three 7" Fire tablets at around $20 each as well as two other larger Fire tablets (10"?) for something like $30 each, I believe. I wouldn't have bought them as a "primary everyday tablet" but I've gotten my money's worth out of them. The larger ones have been great for media consumption on plane rides and vacations and the smaller ones I've been able to purpose as dedicated devices around the house: permanent weather display, digital picture frame, etc.
  • Portable Minidisc Player/Recorder - Even though Minidisc was a fleeting medium, I got some good use out of this as a field recorder and to record some concerts I attended.
Old 12-02-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouuuuuuya, have I ever.
Old 12-03-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not any recent regrets, as over the years I've become a savvy (or, rather weary and untrusting of new tech) shopper, and can read between the marketing hype machine. It was a process of education. The average person would do well to learn how to purchase "technology" smartly. Avoid at all costs things like Alexa, and anything which intentionally, maliciously, harvests your data with a Big Brother concept of benevolence.

The only "regret" I have is buying into HD-DVD, but it was very late in the game. The closeout HD-X2 player (I think I paid $199 for it) I still use to this day for its excellent upconverting of 480i DVDs. Also it has a very good DAC, and is built like a tank, so it wasn't a total loss. And I quickly sold off those HD-DVDs which I purchased at closeout fireside sales, for pennies on the dollar anyway. Think I even made a profit on a few of those cheap HD-DVDs.

Actually, I wish HD-DVD would have survived, it was technically better in storage capacity -- 30 GB vs Blu-rays 25 GB per side.
Old 12-03-19, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A friend of mine bought me a Google Chromecast 1st generation around Christmas 2014.

I don't know how anyone enjoys using this device. I think it's junk compared to better streaming devices like the Roku, Fire TV stick or Apple TV.

I played around with it a week and then unplugged it and put it in a drawer never to be used again. I'm glad I didn't invest in it. Even though it's relatively cheap at $35, I would have totally regretted it. But I do feel bad that my buddy bought it for me and I ended up tossing it as junk.
Old 12-03-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Dual-Layer BDs can hold about 50gb. It was the better format on paper- HD-DVD had a few advantages but the better format won out this time. Bought an HD-DVD player when they were being cleared out for next to nothing, no regrets there- even though I've since had more than 50 discs become unplayable due to rot. I wasn't going to buy into either format until one failed or dual-format players became commonplace.

I regretted buying an Action Max game system in 1987- it looked so awesome but all it really did was score points when you shot the flashing targets onscreen. There was nothing "interactive" about it- the system didn't even connect anywhere to the TV or VCR other than a sound cable to add shooting sound effects. I took it back to Toys R Us the next day saying it "didn't work" and thankfully got my money back (one of the only times I've ever done that), part of which I used to buy Castlevania for my good old NES.

This is the tape that came with it- You stuck a sensor on the flashing circle in the corner, and shot at the other flashing targets onscreen. If you hit them, you got points. If you didn't, it kept going anyways. NES light gun games had infinitely better game play since they actually did stuff.
Old 12-03-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
A friend of mine bought me a Google Chromecast 1st generation around Christmas 2014.

I don't know how anyone enjoys using this device. I think it's junk compared to better streaming devices like the Roku, Fire TV stick or Apple TV.

I played around with it a week and then unplugged it and put it in a drawer never to be used again. I'm glad I didn't invest in it. Even though it's relatively cheap at $35, I would have totally regretted it. But I do feel bad that my buddy bought it for me and I ended up tossing it as junk.
I almost exclusively use the Chromecast. It just casts whatever app you are using on your phone, it's not really complicated. I have my media apps grouped together on my phone. You are watching vudu? There is a cast button, press it and it's on your TV. Same with all of the other apps. If there is a rare app that doesn't support Chromecast directly, you can just use the mirror option to cast your entire screen. I can't imagine there is an easier to use option.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.