Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wifi USB Adapter Help

Old 11-14-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wifi USB Adapter Help

Having a strange issue with my wife's PC. It doesn't have a wireless card built in so we've always used a USB adapter. Stopped working about a week ago. I did all the normal troubleshooting; reset the PC, tried different USB plugs, ran all Windows updates etc. Still nothing; the adapter didn't light up and appeared to be complete dead.

Ordered a new one from Amazon. It worked as soon as I plugged it in. Fast forward about an hour and it's down again. Did all the same troubleshooting with the same results. I can plug the keyboard, mouse, or external HDD into any USB port and it works fine. The wireless adapter doesn't power up. I feel like I've eliminated everything as the issue and I'm not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

My wife relies on Creative Cloud for work so I need to figure it out. And the PC is not located where it can go wired. I plugged in my phone so she could get to the internet via hotspot but it's not a permanent solution, nor do I have unlimited data on my phone.
Old 11-14-19, 01:29 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Wifi USB Adapter Help

You could get an internal wireless card or a bridge/access point that would plug into the ethernet port on the PC.
Old 11-14-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought about that but I really want to figure out what's going on. The PC is like 2 years old and never had an issue. I can't think of any reason for the issue to be happening and I now have two USB wifi adapters which probably work fine otherwise that I have no other use for.
Old 11-14-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Plug it in, and check Device Manager to see if there are any conflicts in the USB section (Universal Serial Bus controllers). If you see a conflict, leave it plugged in, right click the conflicted one, and Uninstall. Then Action>Scan for Hardware changes. If it continues to have a conflict, uninstall, unplug, and search for a driver install. You can also check your Apps & Features to see if it has a program installed. If so, you can uninstall that too and look for an updated one.
I had a bluetooth mouse dongle that kept getting a conflict awhile back. Only work around was to uninstall driver / reinstall.

If it's not that, and you haven't try googling the manufacturer and the problem to see if anyone else is having the problem?
Old 11-14-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drivers is one thing I didn't check only because the drivers haven't been updated or changed on the PC but I will look at that tonight and reinstall.

The new adapter I bought is a different brand/model than the first so the device itself isn't the issue. It literally just doesn't get power from USB. Both units don't light up at all; it's as if they're not even plugged in. Yet when I move the mouse to the same USB, it works perfectly.

If the drivers don't work I'll probably just get an access point like X mentioned. Just frustrates me that I haven't been able to figure it out. Nothing about the issue makes sense.
Old 11-15-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I thought about that but I really want to figure out what's going on. The PC is like 2 years old and never had an issue. I can't think of any reason for the issue to be happening and I now have two USB wifi adapters which probably work fine otherwise that I have no other use for.
I built a PC a year ago, and have already gone through 2 USB wifi adapters. The first one just died on me, and the second spent a couple weeks acting really slow ( every link I clicked on was stuck in "Connecting ....." and "TLS Handshaking ..." for 10 seconds or so before it'd load. ) Then it died too.

Finally just bought a PCIE card, and it's been working great ever since. I found a list somewhere of best 2019 wifi adapter cards, and this was one of them. It has built in bluetooth too (though that requires an open USB spot on your mother board)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-15-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't go with an internal card in the first place because it's one of those smaller cased PCs. I'm sure it has room but it would be a PITA to work in there.

Re-installing drivers didn't help at all. Stopping off at Target on the way home to buy an access point that uses the ethernet jack rather than USB.
Old 11-18-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Access point worked fine.

As a final test I took both USB adapters and tried them on my PC. Both worked perfectly; I still have zero clue what the issue was but it's resolved with the access point using the ethernet jack.