Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Browser help

Old 11-12-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Browser help

I have never used a browser other than Explorer that came with computer. I have old PC with Windows XP and laptop with Windows 7. I need to get Google Chrome or something. What is the best site to download from. I assume you download to program files. If it asks whether to save or run, which do I choose? I assume there will be a desktop icon to click just like IE. Will I freak out at how different it is? I wonder if the old PC with XP would be able to display the download page if there is a version that would work with Windows XP. Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 11-13-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Browser help

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
. I need to get Google Chrome or something. What is the best site to download from..
https://www.google.com/chrome/
Old 11-13-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recommend Firefox over Chrome - many reasons but the leading one being I just don't trust Google to not track everything I do with their product.

No matter which you go with I'd recommend installing the AdBlock Plus plugin at a minimum. Add uMatrix or NoScript and be amazed at how much junk is loaded/tracking is done at most sites.

Anything you choose will be much different than IE. Most default all useful menu bars/functions to off/hidden so take some tweaking to make them work properly.

You'll be lucky to find any "modern" browser that'll work with XP. IMHO that system should be taken off the internet completely and used only for local work.
Old 11-13-19, 05:05 PM

Your best bet is this copy of Firefox:

Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

It's from June 2018 and was the last version that supported XP. The last version of Chrome that supported XP was from April 2016.
Old 11-14-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Your best bet is this copy of Firefox:

Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

It's from June 2018 and was the last version that supported XP. The last version of Chrome that supported XP was from April 2016.
No luck. The IE on the computer with XP can't display the web page to download it.
Old 11-14-19, 07:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Download it onto a flash drive using your Windows 7 computer, and install it on the XP computer from the flash drive.

Windows 7 can use the latest version of Firefox.
Old 11-20-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I recommend Firefox over Chrome - many reasons but the leading one being I just don't trust Google to not track everything I do with their product.

No matter which you go with I'd recommend installing the AdBlock Plus plugin at a minimum. Add uMatrix or NoScript and be amazed at how much junk is loaded/tracking is done at most sites.

Anything you choose will be much different than IE. Most default all useful menu bars/functions to off/hidden so take some tweaking to make them work properly.

You'll be lucky to find any "modern" browser that'll work with XP. IMHO that system should be taken off the internet completely and used only for local work.