Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Browser help

Old 11-12-19, 03:15 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,611
Browser help

I have never used a browser other than Explorer that came with computer. I have old PC with Windows XP and laptop with Windows 7. I need to get Google Chrome or something. What is the best site to download from. I assume you download to program files. If it asks whether to save or run, which do I choose? I assume there will be a desktop icon to click just like IE. Will I freak out at how different it is? I wonder if the old PC with XP would be able to display the download page if there is a version that would work with Windows XP. Sorry for the stupid questions.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 10:41 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,260
Re: Browser help

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
. I need to get Google Chrome or something. What is the best site to download from..
https://www.google.com/chrome/
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 12:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,986
Re: Browser help

I recommend Firefox over Chrome - many reasons but the leading one being I just don't trust Google to not track everything I do with their product.

No matter which you go with I'd recommend installing the AdBlock Plus plugin at a minimum. Add uMatrix or NoScript and be amazed at how much junk is loaded/tracking is done at most sites.

Anything you choose will be much different than IE. Most default all useful menu bars/functions to off/hidden so take some tweaking to make them work properly.

You'll be lucky to find any "modern" browser that'll work with XP. IMHO that system should be taken off the internet completely and used only for local work.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 05:05 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Snowtown, USA
Posts: 844
Re: Browser help

Your best bet is this copy of Firefox:

Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

It's from June 2018 and was the last version that supported XP. The last version of Chrome that supported XP was from April 2016.
Meathead is online now  
Old 11-14-19, 07:04 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,611
Re: Browser help

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Your best bet is this copy of Firefox:

Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

It's from June 2018 and was the last version that supported XP. The last version of Chrome that supported XP was from April 2016.
No luck. The IE on the computer with XP can't display the web page to download it.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 07:36 AM
  #6  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,531
Re: Browser help

Download it onto a flash drive using your Windows 7 computer, and install it on the XP computer from the flash drive.

Windows 7 can use the latest version of Firefox.
kd5 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 07:30 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,318
Re: Browser help

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I recommend Firefox over Chrome - many reasons but the leading one being I just don't trust Google to not track everything I do with their product.

No matter which you go with I'd recommend installing the AdBlock Plus plugin at a minimum. Add uMatrix or NoScript and be amazed at how much junk is loaded/tracking is done at most sites.

Anything you choose will be much different than IE. Most default all useful menu bars/functions to off/hidden so take some tweaking to make them work properly.

You'll be lucky to find any "modern" browser that'll work with XP. IMHO that system should be taken off the internet completely and used only for local work.

Sonic is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.