Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Making Copies of DVDs

Old 09-11-19, 01:21 AM

Making Copies of DVDs

I'm new here, so I'm hoping I'm asking this in the proper forum. I do a lot of homemade DVD recording with an old Panasonic DVD recorder with hard drive. In past years, it was all VHS, but we're now in the age of DVDs.

I've made hundreds of movie recordings on DVD (nothing illegal, just legal recordings from streaming or on-demand) to build a personal, homemade video library. With the hard drive I can edit out commercials and then dub a move, or TV episode, onto a DVD-R for permanent storage.

My question involves making copies of some of those existing DVDs. I have a Dell desktop running Windows 10 and would like to use the computer's CD/DVD recorder to make duplicate copies of some of my homemade DVD recordings. But I can find nothing in my desktop software that allows me to record DVDs. So far I have only been able to make CD copies of my downloaded/purchased music library.

Does anyone know what I would need in order to take a home recorded DVD and make a copy of it onto a second DVD?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 09-11-19, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: Making Copies of DVDs

I transfer a lot of old tapes to DVD using a recorder but finish the actual discs (cutting out unwanted segments and adding chapters) on my computer before burning to a permanent disc. Look up "home DVD authoring tools", these will result in a file on your computer that you'll be able to burn to disc as many times as you want. If you're happy with your discs the way they are you can similarly rip those to a computer and burn multiple copies; what we're allowed to say about that here is limited but there are some obtainable in the open that don't circumvent copy protection on commercial discs and are legal for this sort of thing.
Old 09-11-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume home made dvd discs of home videos, does not have any css encryption.

In such cases, the simplest way of copying everything from the home video dvd disc, is just copying and pasting all the *.ifo, *.vob, and *.bup files from the dvd disc to your computer's hard drive.

This simple copy/paste operation is prohibited on css encrypted discs, such as commercially released movie dvds. The css protocol will return back a "read error" if the dvd drive is not authenticated a priori before reading such commercial movie dvd discs.
Old 09-11-19, 01:38 PM

You can also download ImgBurn software (Free) at The Official ImgBurn Website
The software allows you to also make "ISO" images from the CD/DVD for storage, or play with many video players and then "burn" the image file to a new CD/DVD (depending on the source).