Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to receive Google mail immediately on Android phone?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-10-19, 09:12 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On my Samsung phone, if a Gmail email comes in, the phone doesn't recognize it immediately. The delay can be 10-30 minutes, or until I pick up the phone and open Gmail. This is not just a delay in notification -- the unread email counter stays at zero and download starts only after the delay. That happens when I am on cellular or wi-fi. It seems that the phone goes dormant and doesn't check Gmail until I wake it up. I've checked power settings and there is no "sleep" setting that I can see.

(This is not due to delay in the email getting sent. My iPad recognizes the incoming email right away after it's sent)
Old 09-10-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How to receive Google mail immediately on Android phone?

Are you using the Samsung Mail app or the Gmail app? There should be an option to determine if it's push notifications (immediately, always checking) versus having a timed checked (every 20 min, 30 min, 1 hour...etc).
Old 09-10-19, 09:42 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use the Gmail app, on both my iPad which gets mail right away, and my Samsung phone which can have a delay. I looked for that check-mail timer but didn't see it anywhere.
Old 09-10-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure where it would be in Android settings. On Apple, if you go to Settings, scroll down to Gmail App, it's the option called "Background App Refresh". That's what allows it to refresh/show new emails when the app isn't open.

Hoping someone with an Android device can chime in with where the equivalent setting is.
Old 09-10-19, 10:02 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. That's what I thought too. On my phone there is a feature called "Put unused apps to sleep" and that is off. There is also a place that lists all sleeping apps, and Gmail is not listed.
Old 09-13-19, 08:33 AM

For Gmail in Android, open the Gmail app, open the 3 line menu (hamburger menu on the left), scroll down to Settings. Choose your email account (should be listed after General settings). Scroll down to the bottom for the section named Data usage. Make sure Sync Gmail is checked.

Also can check the phone's Settings -> Accounts and Backup -> Accounts -> Choose your Google account (that has gmail) -> Sync account -> Make sure Gmail is turned on.
Old 09-13-19, 01:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Thank you. I checked both places and the phone was set to sync.

I think I found the problem. Go to "Optimize battery usage" then deselect Gmail. I suspected that the problem was related to battery conservation (don't put Gmail to sleep) but there are several settings that influence it, and I didn't know about that one.