Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T

Old 07-22-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T

My familiy's phones are due for renewal in two months and the wife and I are in no hurry to upgrade. We both have S8s thru Verizon and they're working just fine (kids have iPhones)... however, as a result of going thru AT&T for my internet, I was offered a mobile package whereby we get 4 new phones (S10s or iPhone XR, etc), unlimited data, $250 gift cards each for only $210/ month. I know only what I've read online about AT&Ts quality and service... which is to say that it trails Verizon by about 10% in total experience (quality of service, CSR, costs, etc).

If I re-up with Verizon and get the the S10s or XRs, I'm going to be looking at about $275 / month (or more) with Verizon... $60 isn't going to make or break me but I'd prefer to save it if the AT&T service is reliable. I had Sprint about 5 years back and it sucked horribly... I don't want to relive that nightmare.

Anybody have an opinion one way or the other when it comes to AT&T? Given my proposed savings, is the "risk" worth the reward in your opinions?
Old 07-22-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T

I may not be the best litmus test since I'm in a highly populated area but ATT/Verizon is basically a toss-up for service at this point. Both have no issues 99% of the time for us. Wife and I haven't consolidated plans yet and we're each on different services. I can't think of any times where I had service and she didn't, or the other way around. It really comes down to pricing, IMO.
Old 07-22-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have a friend with AT&T, check his cell reception at home and if possible, at work. To me, that's the most important thing. Otherwise, if you're not grandfathered in and you don't mind, switching back and forth is probably going to net you a deal every single time. The companies care about new users, not existing users.

I have both services because of work and I will say that I rarely have low bars for Verizon but I do for AT&T in places that I've been, but it's probably anecdotal... it's just that it really really matters for the places you'll be the majority of the time.

Years and years ago work tried out sprint for about a week, until we found that nobody got really good reception at home so on call was a mess.
Old 07-24-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It really depends on the city you are in, I think. I've been AT&T all my life, and am stuck with them (I got a 25% discount through work, and even though I don't work there anymore, I'm still getting the discount. Makes it hard to switch to verizon). However, there are a lot of dead spots in Palm Springs, which is super annoying. The one thing I do like about it is the unlimited plan comes with free TV streaming, so that does save me some money.

Cricket uses AT&T, I believe, maybe buy a sim from them for cheap and try it a month in your phone to see how the signal is at places you normally go?
Old 07-24-19, 11:57 AM

I have AT&T, and I'm planning on switching to Verizon in the coming months. I travel a ton for work, and I can't tell you how many times I have no service, when colleagues with Verizon have 4 bars. Scottsdale/Phoenix area has to be the worst, I can't even get enough service to call an Uber, it's ridiculous. Had similar issues in rural areas (a few hours outside of Denver, Northeast Pennsylvania, etc), where I'm completely without service, but employees or locals are fine because they have Verizon. "You're in Verizon country!", they would tell me,
Old 07-27-19, 04:59 PM
Stealth Moderator

Yeah, like already mentioned, it really depends on your area. I live in southern California. I have a Verizon iPhone for my personal phone and an AT&T Pixel 2 for my work phone. I'd say that AT&T gets 99% of coverage of Verizon. BUT, there are times when AT&T is better: big events where there are 50,000 people packed into a small area all using the same towers (Rose Bowl, Dodgers Stadium, Angels Stadium, etc.). Then Verizon will sometimes struggle while AT&T is still fast. Either there are too many Verizon users or AT&T can handle more users per tower.