Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How do you build a PC sound system?

Old 07-10-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you build a PC sound system?

I'm about to start building a sound system for my husband for his birthday and anniversary. Looking to spend about $100 for birthday and $300 for anniversary. So this will take a few years. What's the total price for everything, 2k? 4k? It is just for PC gaming, no movies. What's a good order I can buy stuff in so that he can use what he has so far as I buy? I know nothing about sound. I think regular PC speakers are fine Thanks!
Old 07-10-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: How do you build a PC sound system?

I donít know anything about sound for PC, but I know a lot about home theater sound. $2k-$4k seems too expensive.

7.1 integrated amplifiers are like $400. Maybe spend about $250 each on L, R, and C speakers. Less than $100 for each surround. What else do these PC things entail?

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-10-19 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So that would be 7 + 1 so $400, $250, $250, $250, $100, $100, $100, $100 to make the 8, so $1550? I just made up those dollar figures He has an audiophile friend with a $7,000 setup but that's for TV also. So is the $400 the only usable item by itself or any of the $100 usable as soon as he gets it?
Old 07-11-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Something like this is the “heart” of the system. Then you need speakers if you want to hear anything. And you need a source, which is typically a DVD player, but in your case would be a Xbox or something. Right?
Old 07-11-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it’s for PC gaming, I’ll assume he has a motherboard that will process 4K audio/video? If you want to keep it on the small budget side, I’d just go to NewEgg or Amazon and check out some 7.1 pc sound systems. Anything more, and you’ll have to go the route of your friend and sink some good money into one. I’m like him, my speakers alone are about $5k including subwoofers for my home theater. But I have my gaming PC hooked up to them as well via an 11.2 receiver.

I’m guessing a good pc speaker package will be the way to go for his rig. Logitech has a good amount of highly rated speaker packages. They’re usually in the $100-$400 range.

But check the motherboard or sound card and see what it’s capable of outputting and look for a package around that.
Old 07-15-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For PC gaming really good over the ear headphones are the best choice. IMHO at least.