Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help: Mini PC (Zotac Zbox) died during use & won't power on.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-02-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been using a Zotac Zbox ID34 mini PC for around 7 or 8 years now as a HTPC running Kodi & it powered off while watching a movie & won't power back on. Pressing the power button will spin the fan for a couple of seconds & power up an external HDD I have connected to one of the USB ports but that's it. The external power supply seems ok as the brick still lights up when plugged in so my only guess could be the motherboard is no good? At this point I definitely got my $ worth & could get an Nvidia Shield to replace it but if it could be a cheap simple fix I'd at least like to try if you guys have any ideas. Thanks!
Old 06-02-19, 09:22 AM

Re: Please help: Mini PC (Zotac Zbox) died during use & won't power on.

I'd pull the cover and take a simple look inside. Here's hoping it's as simple as some lint, over the last 7 or 8 years, has collected on the CPU cooling fan and stopping/slowing it down . System shutting down to stop processor from overheating perhaps. I have a similar system, but a little newer, and so far it's been working. I may pop the cover and give it a blast of air just in case.
Old 06-03-19, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I'd pull the cover and take a simple look inside. Here's hoping it's as simple as some lint, over the last 7 or 8 years, has collected on the CPU cooling fan and stopping/slowing it down . System shutting down to stop processor from overheating perhaps. I have a similar system, but a little newer, and so far it's been working. I may pop the cover and give it a blast of air just in case.
Definitely not the issue. I give it a good cleaning once a year. Besides, if that was the issue it would've powered back on eventually which it doesn't. Thanks though!
Old 06-03-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Possibly motherboard, but I would try and find another power supply to test it on first. If that's not it, there's a chance it could be the power button itself. Not sure how to test that though, as well as replacing it. If those two options don't work, then I'd chalk it up to the motherboard being kaput.
Old 06-03-19, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Possibly motherboard, but I would try and find another power supply to test it on first. If that's not it, there's a chance it could be the power button itself. Not sure how to test that though, as well as replacing it. If those two options don't work, then I'd chalk it up to the motherboard being kaput.
THE MB was my second guess after the power supply. I have many spare power supply bricks but none that match the Zotac's because it's a very odd one. Anyway, thanks again for the help
Old 06-03-19, 11:50 PM

I would guess power supply too.
You could try to pull the RAM and reseat, or try another stick if you have one.

I don't know about these, does it have any POST beeps when starting up?
Old 06-03-19, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
I would guess power supply too.
You could try to pull the RAM and reseat, or try another stick if you have one.

I don't know about these, does it have any POST beeps when starting up?
Contacted customer support who said hold down the CMOS button located under the power button for 10 seconds & remove RAM/HDD. Problem is, there is no CMOS button that I can find anywhere.
Anyway, I pulled the RAM & hard drive anyway & ended up with the same results.
If I can determine the issue is not the power supply then I'm just gonna junk it.
Before I buy another power supply, am I wrong to assume it is still good being that the light goes on when I plug it in? Even though the light goes on could it be bad?
As far as POST beeps, no I don't think it does.

Old 06-04-19, 12:16 AM

I would assume if it lights it still works. Hard to say.

If it has a CMOS battery, you can unplug and pull the battery (and ram/hdd?) for awhile and try again too.
Old 06-29-19, 03:23 AM

Zotac sent me a replacement power supply which didn't fix the issue so I replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ which I actually like better. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Old 06-29-19, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Zotac sent me a replacement power supply which didn't fix the issue so I replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ which I actually like better. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
I held off purchasing a RasPi for the longest time. Of course, when I bought my first one, the next week (or so) they upgraded it. I bought another later and you guessed it, they upgraded again not long after. I see you bought a RasPi 3 B+ and they just came out with the RasPi 4. I'm holding off but do use a 3+ as a Pi-Hole Network ad blocker.
Old 06-30-19, 02:26 AM

Looks like the pi 4 B is the first pi ready for prime time and serious business. I'm so glad I waited until now to actually entertain the notion of purchasing one. USB 3 was an absolute must, as is 4gb of RAM. For $55 it is a great deal, and will replace my netbook / laptop.
Old 07-06-19, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Looks like the pi 4 B is the first pi ready for prime time and serious business. I'm so glad I waited until now to actually entertain the notion of purchasing one. USB 3 was an absolute must, as is 4gb of RAM. For $55 it is a great deal, and will replace my netbook / laptop.
As soon as I heard it announced I planned on upgrading but I'm so happy with how the Pi 3 B+ performs I decided not to.
Old 07-08-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
How are you planning to make it portable like a laptop?