Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Portable CD Player for car?

Old 05-30-19, 06:41 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Portable CD Player for car?

I'm leasing a 2019 Veloster, doesn't have a CD player which I'd really like for any car I drive because it's just so much simpler (no muss, no fuss with ripping stuff to a flash drive, plus I have a lot of CDs I'd like to be able to just play).

I bought a CD player from Amazon because it sounded just like what I was looking for. Aux/USB cables included, there's a cubby hole in the dash for charging stuff, perfect place to keep this player, cables all neatly wound up on either side of the player, I thought I was good to go. Right away I realized I was going to have to push multiple buttons on this CD player every time I got in the car and started it, which is kind of a pain because I had to rearrange everything once I got the CD playing, and it was taking away from the time I needed to be on the road. Finally, the player stopped playing CDs smoothly, so I opted to return it.

I'm looking for a CD player I can use in my car that I don't have to futz with every time I get in the car to go somewhere. I can just turn on the car and the CD will start playing, no button pushing or futzing with the player involved.

Is there such a critter?

Before you come back with the snark about just use a flash drive or a smart phone that I don't have, I've already used a flash drive for one of my CDs and it works OK, I just want to be able to play my CDs in the car, plugged into the Infinity sound system that shipped with the car. I thought this CD player would do what I needed it to do but I found out that futzing with the player every time I got in the car was not my idea of a good time.

Thanks to anyone who has a viable solution!
Old 05-30-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Portable CD Player for car?

I would look into an aftermarket CD player / radio for the car a lot of places that do installs will de install for free as I understand it if you cant do the install yourself so you can keep it after the lease is up. I don't know if you can still get a CD changer that would work with the factory radio but that might be an option (Check crutchfield.com?) I just tend to rip my CDs to work on my iPhone. My Jeep and my wife's car both have CD players but I almost never use either of them as most of my music is on my phone. I do find it odd that new cars don't come with a CD player anymore, but streaming is so prevalent now...

Alternatively maybe you can plug the portable CD player into an power outlet that is "always on" so it does not need to be turned on each time you want to use it and is on 'standby'
Old 05-30-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sort of wish more auto manufacturers still included CD players or at least had them as an option. Thatís one thing I miss with my old vehicle is that it had a six disc changer, which I pretty much used exclusively. Although I find that I buy less music in general anymore so I guess it isnít a huge deal.
Old 05-30-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm afraid I don't have an answer but I understand your dilemma. These days I usually listen to music on a flash drive plugged into my car, but once in awhile I grab a CD that I haven't listened to in a long time, and don't want to futz around with ripping it and adding it to my flash drive if I'm only going to listen to it in the car once or twice. When I got my most recent car, I was happy to see that it still has a CD player, but I kind of worry about if my next car will.
Old 05-30-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My newest used care doesn't have a CD player and I kind of miss it. It is an option on the upgraded stereo version of the car.

Besides the fact that it's a lease, with newer cars it's hard to make a lot of after market changes to the systems because they're so integrated into the cars now. I don't think there's a system that will autoplay whenever you start the car because then you'd have to find a cd player that starts playing whenever power is supplied to it, which I don't think is a popular feature. The only connection between the stereo system and the cd player is the aux cable, which doesn't do anything except transfer audio. Best you could do is maybe find one with bigger buttons or something, unless there's like a niche maker that makes car cd players.
Old 05-30-19, 04:58 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I would look into an aftermarket CD player / radio for the car a lot of places that do installs will de install for free as I understand it if you cant do the install yourself so you can keep it after the lease is up. I don't know if you can still get a CD changer that would work with the factory radio but that might be an option (Check crutchfield.com?) I just tend to rip my CDs to work on my iPhone. My Jeep and my wife's car both have CD players but I almost never use either of them as most of my music is on my phone. I do find it odd that new cars don't come with a CD player anymore, but streaming is so prevalent now...

Alternatively maybe you can plug the portable CD player into an power outlet that is "always on" so it does not need to be turned on each time you want to use it and is on 'standby'

I don't think attempting to replace the in-dash setup is an option, it's so built into the dash, any attempt to remove/replace would do physical/cosmetic harm to the dash. I'm going to check out Crutchfield though, just for the heck of it.

Thanks everybody for your commiseration and comments. Keep 'em coming...
Old 05-30-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some are now installing the CD player in the glove compartment when there are no other possible options.
Old 06-03-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like there's a few CD players that connect via the USB port and imitate a USB media device.

They're not cheap though, starting at $300:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163666639879
Old 06-03-19, 03:01 PM

I presume vehicle has some sort of AUX input. If so how about some second hand Sony type CD walkman? They were built to handle jostling around being portable and battery powered. Just need to find one with the line/AUX out as I suspect many only had provisions for headphones/earbuds. I just looked and see a couple brands/models listed at Walmart so still available apparently if you want to avoid used.
Old 06-03-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I presume vehicle has some sort of AUX input. If so how about some second hand Sony type CD walkman?
OP already has a portable CD player. The issue isn't the audio out or batteries, but that it has to be turned on and started manually each time the car is turned on. OP wants a portable CD player that turns on and starts playing as soon as the car is turned on.
Old 08-24-19, 11:53 AM

My uncle recently bought HamiltonBuhl HACX-114 portable CD player because of its reasonable price but you can't underestimate the quality. Just works like an expensive CD player. You can also try The HOTT CD611.