Reload this Page >

Need opinions: Old tech vs. not quite as old tech

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-28-19, 08:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Currently running a 3.4ghz P4 Prescott (Socket 775) on an ASUS P5P800 Deluxe, 4gb memory, 160gb WDC PATA drive, NVidia GeForce 6600LE, Windows 7 64-bit.

Trying to upgrade this computer but don't have alot of money.

Located an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA1155 Motherboard w/ Core i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU (w/ nice heatsink/fan assy), 8GB RAM combo, planning on adding an SSD and a good video card.

I realize it won't be a killer computer but all I want is a PC that can handle today's internet, plus some basic productivity tools, I don't game on the PC.

I can get the motherboard/processor/memory combo for $209.00, which is about what I can spend with adding the SSD and video card. I can reuse the case, PSU, sound card, DVD drives...

Do you think it's enough of an upgrade to warrant the expenditure?

Remember, I don't have a lot of money...

Also, I'm finding there are several different types of SSDs out there, hints on what's best? I don't need more than about 160-250gb...
Old 04-28-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need opinions: Old tech vs. not quite as old tech

Easier to just buy a new computer.

The last computer I purchased back in late-2015, was a new then bottom of the line prepackaged desktop for around $200. (With no monitor). I just used my old monitor.

The few video games I still play on this machine, are early-mid 2000s era grand theft auto titles. More than adequate for most other less demanding tasks.
Old 04-29-19, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Also, I'm finding there are several different types of SSDs out there, hints on what's best?
I don't know much about tech. So I can't help much. But when I upgraded my PC to SSD, I picked an M.2 SSD which goes directly on the motherboard. It seemed like a good choice at the time, because it was recommended and it was compatible with my motherboard. But it ended up being a headache.

The M.2 slot on my motherboard was very difficult to get to. And screwing it in took a while. Once it was installed, it was a hassle to get BIOS to boot from the M.2 SSD.

I had a professional do the whole thing. He knew exactly what he was doing. He'd done it before. But it still took him about 90-120 minutes. There's no way I could have done it on my own. He told me if I'd gotten the normal SSD, it would have been much simpler.

Anyways, that might have been unique to my PC. But I just wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 04-29-19, 05:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post

The last computer I purchased back in late-2015, was a new then bottom of the line prepackaged desktop for around $200. (With no monitor). I just used my old monitor.

The few video games I still play on this machine, are early-mid 2000s era grand theft auto titles. More than adequate for most other less demanding tasks.

Might be easier (probably won't be cheaper once I get what I want), but I built this computer from scratch back when XP was the OS of choice, then upgraded it enough to run Windows 7 64-bit, now I want to upgrade it once again but I'm not as knowledgable regarding new tech as I am with older tech, which is why I'm here asking.

Original question still stands, here's a link to the motherboard:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/

Edit: Thanks TheBigDave...
Old 04-29-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or a fully assembled old/refurbished computer. Keep in mind a Windows license can cost ~$100 on its own. Windows 7 support ends early next year, so I wouldn't build/buy a new PC running it.

What's your full budget? NewEgg has an HP Pavilion for $429 with Intel Core i5 8400, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10 Home, and AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB GDDR5
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tem=83-288-765

Edit, if you're not gaming, you can get away with integrated graphics on today's CPUs. For $180 you could get a Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 with an i5 3470, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tem=83-998-762

Last edited by Jay G.; 04-29-19 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:48 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On second thought, nevermind. This motherboard doesn't have an IDE connector to plug my DVD-R/W drives into (drives are fine). I'd rather not have to buy new drives too, I'll already have the motherboard/processor+heatsink/fan + memory combo, hard drive, and video card to buy. I just need to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Old 04-29-19, 08:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Or a fully assembled old/refurbished computer. Keep in mind a Windows license can cost ~$100 on its own. Windows 7 support ends early next year, so I wouldn't build/buy a new PC running it.

What's your full budget? NewEgg has an HP Pavilion for $429 with Intel Core i5 8400, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10 Home, and AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB GDDR5
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tem=83-288-765
Thanks Jay G, I already have Windows 7 retail that I'll transfer to a new setup, that will do for now.

I dislike HP from working on them in the past. If I do a pre-built computer, it'll be Dell, Acer, ASUS, maybe a few select others, but not HP/Compaq.

If I could get away with only spending $300-$350, I'd be happier. I need to upgrade my wife's computer too (built that one from scratch a few years later, complete with Windows 7 retail). I'm already quaking in my boots thinking about having to spend $700...
Old 04-29-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On second thought, nevermind. This motherboard doesn't have an IDE connector to plug my DVD-R/W drives into (drives are fine).
A new sata dvdr drive is only around $20 these days. (LG, Asus, LiteOn are really the only companies still making dvdr drives).

A new bluray-r drive would be slight more, typically $50+. (LG and Pioneer are the only ones left still making new bluray-r drives).
Old 04-29-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dislike HP from working on them in the past. If I do a pre-built computer, it'll be Dell, Acer, ASUS, maybe a few select others, but not HP/Compaq.
Personally I wouldn't buy an HP desktop these days. My last two desktops were prepackaged Acer ones.

Nowadays the only HP stuff I would still buy are printers, largely due to the easily availabilty of HP ink cartridges. I've had a few printers in the past where new ink cartridges became unavailable after awhile.
Old 04-29-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Jay G, I already have Windows 7 retail that I'll transfer to a new setup, that will do for now...
Or until January 14, 2020, which is when extended support ends.

I'm not saying you have to go with Windows 10 now, but it you stick with 7, keep in mind you'll be paying for and performing a full OS upgrade in under a year.

I dislike HP from working on them in the past...
What about the Lenovo I added to my previous post the same time you posted this? Maybe for your wife?

Good luck finding a modern motherboard that has PATA/IDE ports. I don't think that's been standard for over a decade.
Old 04-29-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a comparison between the CPU you currently have, the CPU in the Lenovo I suggested, and the CPU in the motherboard combo you found:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...1077vs822vs896

The Lenovo's CPU isn't quite as powerful as the motherboard combo, but it's still lightyears more powerful than the Pentium 4 you have.
Old 04-29-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Edit, if you're not gaming, you can get away with integrated graphics on today's CPUs.
My last two Acer prepackaged desktop machines had integrated graphics chips. They were both decent enough for watching upscaled dvds and playing early-mid 2000s era grand theft auto games, at hd 1080p resolution 60Hz refresh rate without any flickering.
Old 04-29-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When it comes to refurbished computers, I still insist on a new hard drive. These days I don't trust used hard drives.
Old 04-29-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it comes to refurbished computers, I still insist on a new hard drive. These days I don't trust used hard drives.
You shouldn't trust any harddrive. I've had a new HDD fail on me after a month just last year. You should always have at least 1 backup of any data you want to keep.

I purchase a lot of refurbished PCs at work, and I run a hardware diagnostic on them as soon as I get them. I use gsmartcontrol to get a basic impression and run the short and long tests:
https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

If any attribute comes up "pre-failure" I swap the drive out.
Old 04-29-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can get something way faster than this for like $100 these days. I almost bought this last night for $109 - $20 rebate to upgrade my plex server (which is running an old sub-core2 celeron type processor).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82T7058&cm_sp=

It's sold out now, but you can find these SFF Compaq 6300 systems with an i5 on ebay for like $100 or so. Ditto for the M82 suggestion above (my Plex server is an old Lenovo M72 sff box).
Old 04-29-19, 10:03 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or until January 14, 2020, which is when extended support ends.

I'm not saying you have to go with Windows 10 now, but it you stick with 7, keep in mind you'll be paying for and performing a full OS upgrade in under a year.

What about the Lenovo I added to my previous post the same time you posted this? Maybe for your wife?

Good luck finding a modern motherboard that has PATA/IDE ports. I don't think that's been standard for over a decade.
I don't care about MS ending support for Windows 7. I didn't care about it with Windows 98se, I didn't care about it with Windows XP, and I certainly don't care about it with Windows 7. I'll continue to use it until hardware/software doesn't support it anymore, which probably won't be for awhile.

There are a lot of core i7 motherboards out there that still have an IDE connector (as well as the full compliment of SATA connectors), found a few on Ebay. I just need to keep looking around, that one motherboard combo will pop up that has everything I need, I just know it.

Haven't looked at the Lenovo yet but I will...
Old 04-30-19, 08:54 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I might have to postpone my planned upgrades, the transmission in my car started slipping on the way home from work today. No idea what's involved in the repair, I'm no auto mechanic, but I suspect my old car may not be worth replacing the transmission. I'll have to do something though, I need transportation for work. Fucking cars.
Old 05-01-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Could just be low transmission fluid.
Old 05-10-19, 10:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ No, it wasn't low on transmission fluid. Turns out the thermostat was faulty, causing the engine to overheat which caused the transmission to overheat, the transmission already a precarious entity started slipping gears. Replacing the thermostat resolved the issue, but decided that if that's all it takes to make the transmission wonky, then it's time to start looking for a new car, which I'm leasing now (don't want to have to worry about being stranded somewhere). Ultimately, that means no computer upgrades for the forseeable future.
Old 05-10-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.. it's time to start looking for a new car, which I'm leasing now (don't want to have to worry about being stranded somewhere). Ultimately, that means no computer upgrades for the forseeable future.
How does replacing a leased car work? Can you terminate the lease early?

If you still have like $85 for a PC, you could get this one with i3-3240, 4GB RAM, and 250GB HDD
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA5HA99H1362

The CPU is still 10x more powerful than your current one, and uses less Watts, so saves you on energy costs:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...3240/1077vs765

You can always upgrade the RAM and switch to an SSD later on.
Old 05-10-19, 01:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I owned the old car, I'm leasing the new car.
Old 05-10-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I owned the old car, I'm leasing the new car.
OK, so you owned the car that broke, and are going to lease the new car you're getting.

Are you looking at leasing a used car?
https://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/...-used-car.html