Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

FIOS abruptly removes all Cinemax channels from my 10 year old subscription. Wants more $ !?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

FIOS abruptly removes all Cinemax channels from my 10 year old subscription. Wants more $ !?

Old 04-27-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Browsing through channels tonight and out of the blue all Cinemax channels are gone. Called Verizon, held 20 minutes before a representative with an extremely thick Indian accent answered. After a few minutes I asked to be transferred to someone that spoke better English because she wasnt understanding my questions at all. Held another 10 minutes when another woman also with a very thick Indian accent got on the phone She better understood English but I kept asking her to repeat herself because it was hard to understand her English. She told me Cinemax was included with the 2010 Ultimate HD package, which is what I HAD, but no longer included with the 2018 Ultimate HD package, which is what they switched me to, & it would cost an additional $15 per month to include it in the package. I asked her how they could abruptly drop major channels that I've been paying for that were included in the package THEY offered to me. Her response was that the Cinemax channels were free with the package. Under that logic HBO, Showtime, etc were all free too, which is what I said. She replied yes, the channels are free, it's the package you're paying for. Spent 45 minutes on entire call.

Not that it would make a difference, but I received no type of notification. Who's not to say tomorrow all the HBO channels, or Showtime channels, or Starz channels will be gone?
I used to recommend Fios to everyone, signed up with them as soon as the service was available in my area almost 15 years ago, now you can't even get reasonable customer service because of the poor speaking / understanding English due to Verizon outsourcing to India (Yes, I asked her what country she was in). Told her I wouldn't be paying the bill this month & asked her to cancel my subsciption but she said that department is closed so it looks like more time will be wasted tomorrow on the phone with Verizon.

Last edited by JZ1276; 04-27-19 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: FIOS abruptly removes all Cinemax channels from my 10 year old subscription. Wants more $ !?

Why did they switch you from 2010 to 2018 Ultimate HD package?

My cable provider has various 'new' packages, but they always grandfather in the original packages, unless you request a change.
Old 04-27-19, 02:50 AM

Re: FIOS abruptly removes all Cinemax channels from my 10 year old subscription. Wants more $ !?

It was an automatic switch because the 2010 ultimate HD package is now the 2018 ultimate HD package minus Cinemax channels and yes I agree I should have been grandfathered in but while I thought to mention that I didn't think for a second these people would understand what grandfathered in meant but will keep that in mind to say tomorrow when I call again.
Old 04-27-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cable and satellite services are already dying, and it's bullshit like this that will make it happen faster (channels being removed due to disputes with studios, or holding customers hostage like this for more money, terrible, outsourced customer service, etc.) No thanks.
Old 04-27-19, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Cable and satellite services are already dying, and it's bullshit like this that will make it happen faster (channels being removed due to disputes with studios, or holding customers hostage like this for more money, terrible, outsourced customer service, etc.) No thanks.
Yeah you said it that about sums it up. I just can't see how this could be legal and they could get away with it. they are originally pitched me a package that included specific channels and then take away those channels whenever they feel like it. Just doesn't make sense to me
Old 04-27-19, 07:22 PM

Not to be a smartass, but cut the cord already! You'll be happier, have more money to spend, and not have to deal with frustration due to interminable, nonproductive calls and thick Indian accents...
Old 04-27-19, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Not to be a smartass, but cut the cord already! You'll be happier, have more money to spend, and not have to deal with frustration due to interminable, nonproductive calls and thick Indian accents...
If it was up to me the service would be canceled by now but it isn't
Old 04-27-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's odd, but somehow the interests of businesses have superseded the interests of their customers over the last 30 years or so. Sorry this happened.
Old 04-27-19, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
It's odd, but somehow the interests of businesses have superseded the interests of their customers over the last 30 years or so. Sorry this happened.
Thanks, and thanks to everyone who let me rant.
Old 04-28-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Verizon FIOS stopped expanding several years ago. Laying all that fiber cost them a fortune. They've been doing everything since raising prices across the board. They don't care about retaining customers at all.

They just dumped their meager rewards program with no replacement. Literally the only way to get a deal on FIOS service is canceling and signing up under a different person's name like your spouse.
Old 04-28-19, 12:39 AM

They used to be exceptionally good. Customer service, the prices, the srevice itself, everything. I was told the customer service is only outsourced to India on weekends so I'm going to call again Monday.
I just had to call a couple of weeks ago (spoke to an American rep) because I recently purchased ZModo security cams which were incompatible with the 802.11 router Fios issued almost 15 years ago when I signed up with them. I asked them for a more modern replacement thinking this would not be an issue being that the router/modem is so old but they wanted something like $15 a month for it so I passed. I asked them what if the router was to stop working & they said they'd issue the same one... 15 year old equipment is still being issued?
Old 04-29-19, 05:34 PM

Just called again. This time I was only on for 15 minutes & even though I was stuck speaking to another rep obviously in India, after I refused a new offer of $10 instead of $15 for all Cinemax channels, he gave them all back under a "loyalty offer".
Old 04-29-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's good to hear.

It's sad that my first thought was 'VICTORY!' when you're just getting back what you already had.
Old 04-29-19, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
That's good to hear.

It's sad that my first thought was 'VICTORY!' when you're just getting back what you already had.
Exactly my reaction lol.
Old 04-30-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
They used to be exceptionally good. Customer service, the prices, the srevice itself, everything. I was told the customer service is only outsourced to India on weekends so I'm going to call again Monday.
I just had to call a couple of weeks ago (spoke to an American rep) because I recently purchased ZModo security cams which were incompatible with the 802.11 router Fios issued almost 15 years ago when I signed up with them. I asked them for a more modern replacement thinking this would not be an issue being that the router/modem is so old but they wanted something like $15 a month for it so I passed. I asked them what if the router was to stop working & they said they'd issue the same one... 15 year old equipment is still being issued?
Last year in my area FiOS was literally charging users a monthly fee if they were still using the old FiOS router from years ago. Want to upgrade? The new router is either a $159 charge or $15 per month in perpetuity.

As cable subscribers dwindle, providers are getting desperate to maintain profits.
Old 04-30-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Last year in my area FiOS was literally charging users a monthly fee if they were still using the old FiOS router from years ago. Want to upgrade? The new router is either a $159 charge or $15 per month in perpetuity.

As cable subscribers dwindle, providers are getting desperate to maintain profits.
That seems really stupid considering there are more alternatives now. What they should hold you over the barrel for is internet.

Oh wait, that's what they're doing, I thought we were talking about cable boxes. Still, you can't buy your own router?
Old 04-30-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That seems really stupid considering there are more alternatives now. What they should hold you over the barrel for is internet.

Oh wait, that's what they're doing, I thought we were talking about cable boxes. Still, you can't buy your own router?
Because of FiOS's fiber connection, you must use their router coming into the house. You can bridge another router to it, but you are forced to use their specific FiOS routers made for fiber in the chain..
Old 05-01-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's not completely true. You can actually hook your router up directly to the box that the Fios comes into, without paying them for a router at all. They just won't tell you that.

Also, Fios has had the worst customer service for a long time. When they were offering Gigabit internet for 70 a month to new subscribers, I tried to upgrade to gigabit. They literally would not give me internet only for less than 130 a month. I had been overpaying for years due to laziness to cancel (which of course is their whole business model), but never again. Every time my contract would run out, but my service options would get worse, and more expensive, but not worth the hassle to switch to Comcast.

Now, since moving, I signed up with Optimum, and I pay $60 a month for internet only. And I mean $60. That includes all taxes, fees, etc, which I was shocked, because that was my quoted price. I brought my own modem and router to avoid any equipment rental fees.

I'm waiting for the first year to be up to see what happens with Optimum then, but I have no problem playing the, switch every year, game anymore. Cable companies are the scum of the fucking earth.
Old 05-01-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have the older FiOS box from years ago that only has a coaxial cable output and only FiOS routers can handle that cable. Newer installations (post 2010?) include an ethernet port as well, which is what I think you are talking about.