Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-R(music only) vs CD-R (data) ?

Old 03-29-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CD-R(music only) vs CD-R (data) ?

Can a computer be used to record Mp3 on CD-R (music only) discs or is a CD-R(data) is the only format that can be used?

Which has more storage CD-R (music only) 80 minute disc or CD-R (data) discs?
Old 03-29-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: CD-R(music only) vs CD-R (data) ?

The only difference between the music only and the normal data, is that the music only has royalty fees built in.

You can read more about it here: https://www.musicedmagic.com/music-t...ifference.html
Old 03-29-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My cd players have no problem playing cd-r (music) while playing cd-r(data) are mostly unplayable. I have an Pioneer 18 cd-changer that won't play data discs.

My computers will play cd-r data along with Pioneer dvd recorders and just purchased an Onkyo 6 cd-changer that will play them.
Old 03-29-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IIRC normal CD players always had issues playing music on data discs. I think that was intentional so you would have to buy the ones designated for music.
Old 03-29-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a problem playing music from a data disc as long as it was burned as an audio CD and not in a data format, but most of my experience in using CD-R's is a while ago. I haven't really had a need for CD's in any format for years now. I did all my burning from a PC though, and I've burned data to discs that were labeled as "Music" and music to discs that were labled as "Data" and haven't really had an issue playing any of them in the places that I wanted to play them. My last car got touchy about playing burned CD's of any kind near the end, but I just think that the CD player was getting flaky.
Old 03-29-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about Mp3's that will only play on certain players?
Old 03-29-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're ripping mp3 direct to a disc as data files you would need a player which is mp3 compatible. A normal CD player would just read it as data it can't recognize.
Old 03-29-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If you're ripping mp3 direct to a disc as data files you would need a player which is mp3 compatible. A normal CD player would just read it as data it can't recognize.
I have many devices that say they will play mp3's but they don't(unless mp3's were formatted wrong).
Old 03-29-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I've never had a problem playing music from a data disc as long as it was burned as an audio CD and not in a data format, but most of my experience in using CD-R's is a while ago. I haven't really had a need for CD's in any format for years now. I did all my burning from a PC though, and I've burned data to discs that were labeled as "Music" and music to discs that were labled as "Data" and haven't really had an issue playing any of them in the places that I wanted to play them. My last car got touchy about playing burned CD's of any kind near the end, but I just think that the CD player was getting flaky.
My experience, too.

I would copy my purchased CDs to CD-R discs to use in my car so the originals didnít get lost or damaged on the road.

I would also burn mix CDs from MP3s.

Never used a music CD-R and never had any problems playing them on anything.
Old 03-29-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Music CD-R and regular CD-R are exactly the same, with the exception that only Music CD-Rs can be used to record discs in stand-alone CD Recorder players for royalty purposes. Unless you have a stand-alone CD Recorder that youíre using to record music, you donít need to get Music CD-Rs
Old 04-01-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, lots of wrong information in this thread. Most CD players can play CD-R's as long as they are burned as a music (Red Book) CD. When someone refers to a data disc, that is burning either wav files, mp3s, etc... AS DATA on the disc, not as a music CD. So techinically you could burn "music" as either data (keeping it as wav/mp3/etc) or converting it to a music CD. Using music CD-R vs Data CD-Rs has nothing to do with it, as long as you are burning in a computer. It was simply a royalty thing as mentioned above.
Old 04-02-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, the "data" disc uses 2048-byte sectors and more error correction, while the "music" CD-R uses 2352-byte RAW sectors. Techincally, they're both digital data, but the music CD-Rs get more data per disc due to having less error correction code. Also, every player I've ever tried, even my old 1990s laserdisc player, has played regular "data" CD-R discs written as "music" (ie. 2352 byte-formatted LPCM data). But, onlly my newer DVD and Blu-ray player will play a series of .WAV files copied to a CD-R in data mode (ie, 2048-byte sectors). That's wasteful anyway-- might as well master the disc in redbook Audio mode anyway to gain ~15% capacity.

The "music", redbook CD-R has been a standard in the industry since the early 1980s when CDs were first mastered. It hasn't changed since.
Old 04-03-19, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried burning a CD-R(music) with my media player and it won't burn because it couldn't read files(???) but then turned around and burned the exact same CD on my home CD recorder and there was no problems.

As I mentioned before,my older Pioneer 18 cd changer won't play CD data discs so I wanted too burn a cd-r that would play on that unit.
Old 04-05-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Data CD-Rs can play back CD Aduio fine on a CD player, but not all Data CD-Rs are the same. Manufacturers used a variety of dies and such, which had a variety of compatibility, especially with older CD players made before CD-Rs, and can't adjust to the slight variances between CD-Rs and pressed CDs.

I remember my first car's CD player was sensitive to CD-Rs, only working with certain brands. I used Sony "Gold" data CD-Rs, which mostly worked, but were slightly more prone to skipping (no buffer in the player). I think using a slower burn speed also made it more likely to be compatible with older CD players, since the laser could burn the pits a little longer, producing a darker spot, making it easier for a player to read.

Music CD-Rs may actually be designed to be more compatible with all CD players, including earlier audio CD players, since Data CD-Rs are more likely to be used for data, and thus mainly have to be compatible with CD-ROM drives. Once CD-R became common though, even audio-only CD players were designed to accommodate them.

An 18 disc changer sounds unusual, was is something like this one?
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...r/pd-tm1.shtml

Those players all look like early 90s, while CD-R didn't really become affordable until mid to late 90s (I recall 96/97 as the time I got my first burner).

I like this video that explores the history of CD-R and CD-RW: