Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Celll phone help (Motorola X4)

Old 03-04-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Celll phone help (Motorola X4)

So, I figured I'd try here before I struck out across the internet proper.

I got a new phone just after Christmas. I also decided to shed my carrier and go with Straight Talk. (I've had a friend recommending it to me for years.) Everything has been peachy since early January until Friday. I have a friend with 2 phones and I never know which he'll carry, so I always text both in a group text. That's always worked (except he says the messages get there like 5 minutes apart), but Friday when he texted me and I tried to respond, I got a message that said "Not sent. Tap to try again.", so I tried texting the other phone. Same thing.

It's been that way for 3+ days now. I got on customer support on Straight Talk and they suggested everything I'd tried already. (I've checked to see if I accidentally blocked him. I sent messages as a group text to both numbers and I sent messages individually to each phone. I've only tried to send text, no attachments or pics. I deleted both contacts, tried adding them back and texting. Then I deleted them and tried to type in the numbers and just text that way. ALL unsuccessful.)

I just figured I'd see if anyone here had any experience and could point me in the right direction. In advance, thanks for your time reading and suggestions.
Old 03-04-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Celll phone help (Motorola X4)

Can you send texts to other people?
Old 03-04-19, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Can you send texts to other people?
Oops! Yeah, I can. I've not had trouble with one other person I've texted in that same period. (Probably 6-8 different people.)

Also, he can text me and I can receive them just fine. And we can talk on the phone fine. The only problem is me being able to send him a text. (They just keep saying "Not Sent.")

Last edited by Shamus McAnally; 03-04-19 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Sorry for the lengthy wait. The site logged me out and I didn't get a notification of a response to this thread.
Old 03-05-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Oops! Yeah, I can. I've not had trouble with one other person I've texted in that same period. (Probably 6-8 different people.)

Also, he can text me and I can receive them just fine. And we can talk on the phone fine. The only problem is me being able to send him a text. (They just keep saying "Not Sent.")
Do you have another phone, or can you borrow another phone from someone to test do see if it is a phone issue or Sim issue?
Old 03-05-19, 06:25 PM

I do have another phone that doesn't have service.

Does that mean I can remove my SIM from my current phone, put it in my old phone, and it should work and I could try to see if it's the phone or the SIM card? (I legitimately have no technical knowledge about nearly everything.)

And thanks again for the help! Otherwise, I'd be cluelessly humping around the internet looking for the correct place.
(And, sorry for the late reply; I literally can't do ANYTHING from my work computers, so it's got to wait until I get home. Thanks for the patience!)
Old 03-05-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Group Texts usually get sent as MMS, have you tried doing a text to a single number?
Old 03-05-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Group Texts usually get sent as MMS, have you tried doing a text to a single number?
He said he tried to send texts individually to each phone which should be sent as sms
Old 03-05-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
I do have another phone that doesn't have service.

Does that mean I can remove my SIM from my current phone, put it in my old phone, and it should work and I could try to see if it's the phone or the SIM card? (I legitimately have no technical knowledge about nearly everything.)

And thanks again for the help! Otherwise, I'd be cluelessly humping around the internet looking for the correct place.
(And, sorry for the late reply; I literally can't do ANYTHING from my work computers, so it's got to wait until I get home. Thanks for the patience!)
If should work if the phone was unlocked. Even if you don't know whether it was unlocked or not, it won't hurt to try.
Old 03-06-19, 06:58 AM

Thanks. When I get home from work today, I'll give that a shot!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-06-19, 07:18 PM

So, I haven't tried it yet because I took my old phone apart and I think I need a tool to get my SIM card thing out and I'm guessing it's gone, although I haven't had a chance to check yet.

However, I do have an update. My buddy texted me in a group text with BOTH of his numbers and myself and we can text back and forth. Does this lend credence to the idea that maybe when I group texted just both of his numbers, I accidentally assigned a name to that group and now the individual numbers won't work? (I'm starting to doubt that theory also because I texted 3 co-workers this AM and asked if anyone wanted me to pick them up a coffee. I got all their replies and I've texted one of them successfully since then.)

But I can't find any options, like if I assigned a group a name, where I could go back and adjust said group or change any parameters. (Also, when I was looking to lock a message earlier, I don't see that option either. Would that be a Motorola thing or a Straight Talk thing? I'm guessing Motorola, but I'm not sure.)