Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Win10: Having issues with wireless randomly dropping

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-22-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I just built a new PC last week, and I'm having issues with my wireless connection dropping for no reason. I've got a mac in the same room that doesn't have any problems, and my phone never disconnects, so I'm pretty sure it's something with this new PC.
I've got 2 different USB wireless dongles ... one that I stole from my raspberry pi (that I know works) and the other from my old PC (that was working last time I used it). What will happen is web pages will just randomly stop loading, and I will see this:

So I click on the "Windows Network Diagnostics" link, and it thinks a bit, and then says this:

And then it will work again. SUPER annoying, it happens a number of times a day. The only advice I could find on the internet was to turn off the setting that says "Allow Power Management to turn on/off internet connection" and that didn't help at all. Also tried changing my PC to use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8) and that didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of buying a PCE wireless card, but would hate to spend the money on that if's it is just a windows software issue.

Last edited by joeblow69; 01-22-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Win10: Having issues with wireless randomly dropping

Is your Wi-Fi actually dropping? ie. When you lose internet, does your machine show that it's actually no longer connected to your Wi-Fi? Because your machine could just be getting blocked from getting out to the internet, but your machine could still be connected to your WiFi.... which would usually mean an application on your system is blocking.

If it is in fact getting disconnected from Wi-Fi, check the advanced settings of your wireless adapter and make sure your Transmit Power is set to the Highest. If that doesn't do it, try setting Roaming Agressiveness to Lowest (in case it's finding other access points in your area and trying to connect to them), if nothing changes - try setting that to Highest to ensure your machine can continually find your access point.

If nothing helped, install Wifi Anaylzer and see if other access points are on the same channel and interfering - even though your MAC doesn't have the problem, it could be configured differently.

A good way of finding out of the issue is hardware or software is trying it on a clean OS install. If you don't have an extra HD to install an OS, run Ubuntu from a USB Key (don't install, just run it off of the USB) and see if you have the same issue or not.
Old 01-23-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it's interesting ... when this happens, it looks like the wifi isn't actually disconnecting ... the status thingie in the system tray says "Connected" but "no access". If I disconnect and reconnect manually, then it works again.

This is a brand new install of windows10, I just built this computer last week. Haven't installed any types of firewalls or anything, and malwarebytes isn't finding anything bad.
I guess I can try disabling the windows firewall and see if that's screwing things up somehow.
Old 01-23-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you using the latest drivers for your wifi adapter? or did you just plug it in, go with the windows built in drivers and start using it? Sometimes it matters, sometimes it does not

The next time it disconnects open a command prompt and type these, they might help

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
Old 01-23-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
So it's interesting ... when this happens, it looks like the wifi isn't actually disconnecting ... the status thingie in the system tray says "Connected" but "no access". If I disconnect and reconnect manually, then it works again.

This is a brand new install of windows10, I just built this computer last week. Haven't installed any types of firewalls or anything, and malwarebytes isn't finding anything bad.
I guess I can try disabling the windows firewall and see if that's screwing things up somehow.
I thought that might be the case... so we can probably rule out any Wifi specific stuff and concentrate on something blocking/disconnect you from the internet altogether.
Do you have any Symantec products installled... like Symantec Endpoint Protection? Their stuff has a mind of its own.

Does your router have firewall turned on? Is there something set in the router that only allows a maximum number of connections, and some other device is using a connection from time to time and bumping your Windows machine off?
Old 01-23-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... I had a similar problem with my new orbi but I turned off their "Circle" add on and it stopped. Do you have any kind of proxy/dns poisoner attached to your network to monitor traffic or for parental control?

Do you use this computer more than your other devices? Is it possible that other devices are dropping connection but you just don't notice because you don't use them as often? When this happens, can you get to 8.8.8.8 or anything or is everything down until you "fix" it?