Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SmartThings Hub?

Old 01-18-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SmartThings Hub?

Hey Otters, does anyone here have experience using a SmartThings hub?

Here's the situation I'm trying to improve. I have recently begun to add several Smart devices to my home network, mostly light bulbs and outlet switches. I have a mix of items from different makers, but all of them work with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, so voice commands, scripting, and time-based automation are all working great. Several of the items (those from the IKEA Tradfri line) connect via their own hub, while others all connect via WiFi directly to my router. The thing is, as I've been building out my Smart network, the number of individual items connecting to my router has grown and grown, and I have begun to thing that optimizing my setup to have as many of these devices managed by a hub would make a lot of sense.

Looking at the SmartThings support site, I see that nearly all of my devices will work with their hub. Not all, but a significant number of them. The question I have is simple.... if I move a Wifi-connected Smart device from my router to a hub, will the hub act like a router or like a switch? What I'm hoping to accomplish is having each of these "hubbed' WiFi devices disappear from the router and become the responsibility of the hub... it makes little sense to have them still being managed by the router while adding latency from the intermediate hub.

If it matters any, the devices I'm currently using are:
- LIFX White 800 A19 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug (this one)
- IKEA Tradfri Lights (E26 1000 Lumen White, E26 980 Lumen White Spectrum, E26 600 Lumen Color) + Control Outlets

Per the SmartThings support site, it appear that everything except the IKEA Color Bulbs + Outlets are compatible, and there's question whether the WeMo plugs will work.

Anyone have experience with this, specifically moving non-hubbed WiFi devices to a SmartThings hub? Thanks!