Old 12-28-18, 05:14 AM

Windows or Linux

Hi everybody, I bought old pc, what the best os can be installed
RAM: 1GB
Processor: Pentium 2400 GH
Old 12-31-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows or Linux

Your PC should have come with an OS already installed. I'm afraid you got ripped off.
Old 12-31-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not necessarily, plenty of computers get sold without an O/S to allow to user to load whatever they want. I'd load it with Windows and side load Linux on it.

The computer you bought though seems really old, with only 1GB RAM on it and a Pentium that is over a decade old. You won't be able to do much with it unless you add a lot of RAM to it. But if the motherboard is as old, then you'll be limited to what you can add. Most O/S these days need a lot more memory and processing speed to run it.
Old 12-31-18, 02:36 PM

I'd try running Peppermint Linux or Linux Lite. 1GB of RAM may slow you down but I'm using a decade old AMD Athlon X2 processor with 3GB of RAM on a "play" machine and have used both suggested distributions of Linux on it just fine. Presuming you have USB and/or CD/DVD drive you can boot both OS's as a Live version and try it out first.

You can also check the Motherboard installed and see if you can upgrade the RAM. Probably older DDR2 that can be bought pretty cheap on eBay if you keep an eye out.
Old 01-11-19, 07:36 AM
Cool New Member

1 GB of RAM will slow down your PC either you use Windows or Linux. Linux is a little bit difficult to use while you cannot run Windows 10 or 7 on it with good speed. Windows XP could be an option for you!