Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Youtube and music

Old 12-21-18, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Youtube and music

A few weeks ago I noticed that Youtube will only play music (either music videos or live performances) at a maximum resolution of 360p. Even stuff that says HD in the description and stuff Iíve played before at at least 720p. At first I thought my iPad was wonky, or it was a problem with Safari, but the same thing happens with Windows. Other non-music videos still play at 720p.

Anyone know whatís up with this?
Old 12-21-18, 04:59 AM

Re: Youtube and music

It's working fine for me. For example, this plays in 1080pHD.

I pay for Youtube Premium, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 12-21-18, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^

It might be the premium thing. When I click the link and go to the video, the only playback resolutions available are 240p and 360p.

Even the musicians who post their own music like Postmodern Jukebox and Frog Leap Studios top off at 360p.

Odd, though, everything but music — movie trailers, vcasts like Comicbookgirl19 and Mike Zeroh — has a 720p option.
Old 12-21-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like a mobile carrier or ISP limitation. I see all resolutions, whether I'm signed in to my YT/Google account or not.
Old 12-21-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also see all resolutions.
Old 12-22-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
A few weeks ago I noticed that Youtube will only play music (either music videos or live performances) at a maximum resolution of 360p. Even stuff that says HD in the description and stuff Iíve played before at at least 720p. At first I thought my iPad was wonky, or it was a problem with Safari, but the same thing happens with Windows. Other non-music videos still play at 720p.

Anyone know whatís up with this?
Might be a Safari problem. Did you try Chrome or Firefox?
Old 01-11-19, 07:25 AM
Cool New Member

It might be a problem with the video quality. If the video, uploaded, has less resolution then, how could youtube make it better!
Old 01-18-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're not using a mobile broadband service for internet, are you? Some will throttle video to save on bandwidth on their "unlimited" plans.
Old 01-18-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, not mobile.

I did some experimenting with other wifi networks, and my iPad (using Safari, not the youtube app, which I don’t use) will only play music videos and live music performances at a max of 360p. I’m logged into youtube at all times.

My laptop will actually play music on youtube at 720p, though. I was initially in error when I thought it wouldn’t. What made me think that is that the video download sites I go to will only download music to mp4 at a max of 360p, though I can download non-music stuff like trailers at 720p. I never log into youtube or google on my laptop. At least one of those download sites won’t even allow me to download music, so it must be flagged as music somehow.
Old 01-18-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did some experimenting with other wifi networks, and my iPad (using Safari, not the youtube app, which I donít use) will only play music videos and live music performances at a max of 360p.
From what I can find, it's because Safari on iPad loads the mobile version of Youtube's site by default. You have to switch to the desktop version.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...e_the_quality/
https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...higher-hd-qual

What made me think that is that the video download sites I go to will only download music to mp4 at a max of 360p, though I can download non-music stuff like trailers at 720p. I never log into youtube or google on my laptop. At least one of those download sites wonít even allow me to download music, so it must be flagged as music somehow.
I don't think those download sites care about music/not music, but there's a whole separate thread for good tools for downloading Youtube videos:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/...nload-app.html