Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-12-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Writing this post on my laptop, but yesterday afternoon I was working on my home desktop PC and this screen came up:

I read that it's known as the "Blue Screen of Death"

For the record, my PC is a Gateway PC from 2009. So yeah it's 9 years old.

So I assume my PC is done right and it's time for a new one? I think it's probably time. This PC was living on borrowed time.

I'm probably not going to purchase one right away. But if you guys have any suggestions on good ones from $300-500 I would appreciate it.

Also, I have some files on this PC, mostly pictures and word documents, that I would like to save somehow. Would my best bet be to take it to Best Buy? I've had Geek Squad save files from my last PC that died and I recall it being quite pricey.
Old 12-12-18, 02:16 PM

Re: Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

I seem to recall being notified of a Windows update, or something, causing this recently. In the past, when I've experienced these, it was caused by a recent update and/or software install. Have you updated or installed anything?? In any case, it may just be a one-off incident so power down and try again.
Old 12-12-18, 02:21 PM

BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) doesn't mean your computer is dead (or dying). It happens to everyone from time to time. It just means that there was an error and Windows crashed.

Reboot your computer. Hopefully, it's no big deal and you won't see it again. If it keeps happening, then there's something wrong. If it won't load, then you definitely have a problem. You'll probably need to Restore from a previous state.

Sometimes, this will happen after a Windows Update. And you'll need to rollback to the previous version until they fix the Update. That might be what happened to you, because yesterday they released the December Windows Update. Updates happen on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.

Anyways, if you can start-up your computer, copy all the stuff you want to save to a free online storage service like Dropbox or Google Drive. You could also use a portable external hard drive or thumb drive. Do it right away, in case the BSOD comes back.

If your computer is 9 years old, it's probably time to get a new one. If you can, get one with an SSD. I put one in my computer and it runs so fast.
Old 12-12-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a very kind looking BSoD compared to the ones I'm used to seeing on older Windows versions. lol
Old 12-12-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I’ve tried three times and nope it won’t boot up.

Yeah I think it’s time to get a new one. Will wait until after Christmas and see if there’s a special.
Old 12-12-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you try booting into safe mode? But yeah, Blue Screen just means there's an issue. Could be hardware, could just be a simple driver or update issue.
Old 12-12-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That's a very kind looking BSoD compared to the ones I'm used to seeing on older Windows versions. lol
I know right. I was thinking the same thing when I seen his screenshot.
Old 12-12-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) doesn't mean your computer is dead (or dying). It happens to everyone from time to time. It just means that there was an error and Windows crashed.
I got BSODs all the time on my old Win98 PC, but have yet to receive one on Windows 7 or 10. My 7 has frozen and locked a couple of times, but no blue screen.

If OP’s system is gonked, he should be able to recover his files easily enough. Just take out the old hard drive, get a USB enclosure and put it in there (or even a transfer cable) and, unless the HD is shot (which is possible if it’s nine years old), and transfer the stuff you want to your new PC or an external drive.
Old 12-12-18, 03:56 PM

If you can't get the computer to start, you can probably still save the data. Get a Hard Drive Docking Station.

I've had this one for years. It's so easy to use. Pull the hard drive from your old PC, slap it into this and connect it to your new computer. It works just like an external hard drive. You can copy all your old files. The latest models are faster (USB 3.0) and cheaper. So shop around. You should be able to get one for about $20-$25.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-12-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Indeed. I would call that screen something different. It appears it was at least able to recognize there was an issue. A 'true' BSOD seems much harsher, for lack of a better term. It's a deeper, more evil, blue.
Old 12-12-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's not a BSOD, that's Microsoft's new pussified version, without any real information about the problem and a lot of fancy barcodes and emoticons that only add to the bullshit factor.

The real BSOD was on an 80x50 text font screen and it gives an actual error code, followed by a real memory dump to help further diagnose the problem. Usually rebooting in safe mode can allow you to at least recover critical files, and it the BSOD persisted, a google lookup of the error code could at least tell you if it's a hardware fault (= probably time to replace the computer) or a software fault (= all that you need to do is reinstall Windows and wipe / format the hard drive to revive the system).
Old 12-12-18, 09:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's not a BSOD, that's Microsoft's new pussified version, without any real information about the problem and a lot of fancy barcodes and emoticons that only add to the bullshit factor.

The real BSOD was on an 80x50 text font screen and it gives an actual error code, followed by a real memory dump to help further diagnose the problem. Usually rebooting in safe mode can allow you to at least recover critical files, and it the BSOD persisted, a google lookup of the error code could at least tell you if it's a hardware fault (= probably time to replace the computer) or a software fault (= all that you need to do is reinstall Windows and wipe / format the hard drive to revive the system).
Your shtick is exhausting.
Old 12-12-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you can't get the computer to start, you can probably still save the data. Get a Hard Drive Docking Station.

I've had this one for years. It's so easy to use. Pull the hard drive from your old PC, slap it into this and connect it to your new computer. It works just like an external hard drive. You can copy all your old files. The latest models are faster (USB 3.0) and cheaper. So shop around. You should be able to get one for about $20-$25.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-E...dp/B0012Z3MKW/
Love this product suggestion! A couple years ago I decided to go completely laptop, but for whatever reason simply took the hard drives out of my old machines before donating them.

I have two or three loose hard drives with stuff on them that probably doesn't matter, but it would be nice to empty them, clean them, and get them gone!
Old 12-12-18, 10:37 PM

Some of the HD Docking Stations are limited to drives 2TB and smaller. So if you have larger drives (over 2TB), make sure you get a model that can handle it.
Old 12-13-18, 05:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Your shtick is exhausting.
Actually, everything he said is true, especially the 2nd paragraph.
Old 12-13-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Actually, everything he said is true, especially the 2nd paragraph.
It's more about how he says things, especially the first paragraph.

Anyway, now I'm curious about that docking station.
Old 12-13-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've used some similar to
Amazon Amazon
before, also work well.
Old 12-13-18, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Anyway, now I'm curious about that docking station.
I originally bought it just for one particular job. But I'm surprised at how many times I've used it over the years. It's a very handy tool. And so simple to use. Just plug it in and it works. No software needed. You can hot swap the drives. It's crazy how convenient it is.

This model looks really cool. It's got dual bays with offline cloning. And it works with SSDs.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-17-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I originally bought it just for one particular job. But I'm surprised at how many times I've used it over the years. It's a very handy tool. And so simple to use. Just plug it in and it works. No software needed. You can hot swap the drives. It's crazy how convenient it is.

This model looks really cool. It's got dual bays with offline cloning. And it works with SSDs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PTUQE4M/
So I have a Lenovo all in one that I just added RAM to and was thinking about replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Would this work to clone the drive? Do I need the product code for Windows 10?
Old 12-18-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a windows recovery disc, you can use that to (probably) restore you system or if you made one or more restore points, but I'm guessing from your comments, that you did not.

If you need stuff on you hd right now, you can make a Ubuntu or Linus Mint live cd to access your hd. A live cd will create a temporary desktop you can use like a normal desktop. If you're laptop can burn dvd's, just go to either site, download the image file and burn the dvd. Then boot off of the dvd. It is possible to overwrite your hard drive, following the instructions is very important. If you are not sure about what you are doing...don't do it.
Old 12-18-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dumb question. How do you start Windows 10 in Safe mode?

I tried to Google it, but one page said Control F8 and that didn't work.
Old 12-18-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this (it shouldn't screw things up any worse than they already are):

If your Operating System fails to boot three times over, it enters the Automatic Repair mode automatically. Luckily, you can also boot into Safe Mode through Automatic Repair. So, if you want to trigger this mode, you just need to interrupt the boot process three times in a row.

You’ll be able to accomplish this by resetting your computer manually – you just need to press the physical Reset button on your PC – three times during the (three separate) boot processes before the PC finishes loading Windows.
After you trigger the process, a message telling you “Preparing Automatic Repair” will appear on your screen. Windows will make a diagnosis of your device and lead you to the Automatic Repair screen. There, click on the Advanced Options button; and on the next screen, select Troubleshoot.
Old 12-18-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Dumb question. How do you start Windows 10 in Safe mode?

I tried to Google it, but one page said Control F8 and that didn't work.
You have to be really, really quick with it, especially if the computer has an SSD. They boot so damn fast that you have maybe a 1- or 2-second window (ha!) of opportunity before it proceeds with the regular boot.
Old 12-18-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
If you have a windows recovery disc, you can use that to (probably) restore you system or if you made one or more restore points, but I'm guessing from your comments, that you did not.

If you need stuff on you hd right now, you can make a Ubuntu or Linus Mint live cd to access your hd. A live cd will create a temporary desktop you can use like a normal desktop. If you're laptop can burn dvd's, just go to either site, download the image file and burn the dvd. Then boot off of the dvd. It is possible to overwrite your hard drive, following the instructions is very important. If you are not sure about what you are doing...don't do it.
All of my items I need are backed up on Dropbox. I guess I can create a restore point. Not sure if I have a disc I will have to look. Thanks.
Old 12-24-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ended up buying a new PC. I got an HP All-in-One last night at Best Buy for $600 and change. I also got MS Office which added to it. It has 8 GB of memory and a 1 TB hard drive. In fact, I'm using it right now.

Now I just need to get some of my documents, photos and videos from the old clunker into this new one.

So is buying the Hard Drive docking station the best and cheapest way to do it? I'm not a computer programmer like some of you and my tech saviness is mostly limited to basic stuff. Is it really that easy?

I guess I could shell out the $90 to have Geek squad do it, but then again they also charge for the external hard drive.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.