Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Old 07-29-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Lastly I removed & put back 2 of the 4 ram sticks & that seem to fix the problem.
Bad RAM can cause a system not to POST. It couldn't been a bad connection between one of those sticks and its slot, and reseating it fixed it.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I would estimate that they managed to save about 60-70% of my files. However, they came back as raw and unorganized files, so it's been a pain in the ass trying to search and organize them..
Did they come back in one massive folder, or lots of little ones? Do they at least have file extensions like .JPG , MP3, and MP4 ?

Did you take a look at the Advanced Renamer tool I mentioned previously?
https://www.advancedrenamer.com/
Old 07-29-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Did they come back in one massive folder, or lots of little ones? Do they at least have file extensions like .JPG , MP3, and MP4 ?

Did you take a look at the Advanced Renamer tool I mentioned previously?
https://www.advancedrenamer.com/
The raw files came back as folders, and subfolders and subfolders and they are organized by what type of file they are like MP4, Jpegs, Digital Camera Jpegs, Gifs There's probably about 40-50 subfolders.

But, the main drawback with this is that they somehow grabbed web jpegs along with web videos that were probably stored in the cache. That's made finding stuff a little more challenging.

and no I did not check out that site.
Old 07-31-19, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The raw files came back as folders, and subfolders and subfolders and they are organized by what type of file they are like MP4, Jpegs, Digital Camera Jpegs, Gifs There's probably about 40-50 subfolders.

But, the main drawback with this is that they somehow grabbed web jpegs along with web videos that were probably stored in the cache. That's made finding stuff a little more challenging.

and no I did not check out that site.
The relevant part of that site (advanced renamer tool) is this:

Music files
MP3 and other music files often have messed up names and contain weird characters. With Advanced Renamer you can change the names of your favourite music files to more suitable names using the built-in ID3 functions.

It will automatically search within your raw MP3s and rename them according to the text information embedded in those MP3s which describe the song name, music groups, etc, without you having to manually do so. It will save you a lot of time in reconstructing your rescued MP3s.
Old 07-31-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The relevant part of that site (advanced renamer tool) is this:

Music files
MP3 and other music files often have messed up names and contain weird characters. With Advanced Renamer you can change the names of your favourite music files to more suitable names using the built-in ID3 functions.

It will automatically search within your raw MP3s and rename them according to the text information embedded in those MP3s which describe the song name, music groups, etc, without you having to manually do so. It will save you a lot of time in reconstructing your rescued MP3s.
I also think the feature for images where it can extract the EXIF tags and rename them based on date and GPS location could save a lot of time too.