Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Old 12-24-18, 04:30 PM

Re: Got the "Blue Screen of Death" on my desktop...Time for a new PC?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Now I just need to get some of my documents, photos and videos from the old clunker into this new one.

So is buying the Hard Drive docking station the best and cheapest way to do it? I'm not a computer programmer like some of you and my tech saviness is mostly limited to basic stuff. Is it really that easy?
As long as your hard drive still works, it's very easy. If your hard drive is defective, it might not work.

Transferring files to your new computer using a hard drive docking station is simple. Just remove the old drive, which will require a Philips screwdriver. Put the old drive into the docking station and connect it to your new computer. It'll automatically appear, like you attached an external hard drive.

Basically, that's all it is. It's just like an external hard drive. Open up your Documents / Photos / Videos / Music folders and transfer the files to your new computer.
Old 12-24-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
As long as your hard drive still works, it's very easy. If your hard drive is defective, it might not work.

Transferring files to your new computer using a hard drive docking station is simple. Just remove the old drive, which will require a Philips screwdriver. Put the old drive into the docking station and connect it to your new computer. It'll automatically appear, like you attached an external hard drive.

Basically, that's all it is. It's just like an external hard drive. Open up your Documents / Photos / Videos / Music folders and transfer the files to your new computer.
Thanks

I just don't know the Hard Drive's status. As I said, the computer wouldn't boot up past the Windows animation. Or it would go to that Blue Screen.

Also, I was looking at some of those docking stations and they seem to be relatively inexpensive. The one you suggested got some really harsh recent reviews.

This one seems to be more positive:

Amazon Amazon

What's the difference between using one with USB 2.0 vs. 3.0? Is it speed? As I said, my old PC is from 2009.
Old 12-24-18, 06:28 PM

Even if it was a hard drive failure, you might still be able to get some files off the drive. You won't know until you try.

I wasn't recommending any particular model. Just using it as an example. My docking station is 8-9 years old. So I'm not up to date on the latest models/brands.

The one you linked to looks good. It should do what you need it to do.

I'd get a USB 3.0 model. That's the latest standard, and it's much faster. Anything with USB 2.0 is probably an older model.
Old 12-26-18, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I'd get a USB 3.0 model. That's the latest standard, and it's much faster. Anything with USB 2.0 is probably an older model.
And USB 2.0 will be slower than shit, too. A new computer will have at least one USB 3.0 port.

If OP is going to take out his old HD, should he use an antistatic wristband? I know theyíre generally recommended, especially in the wintertime. Iíve never used and havenít fried anything yet, but I know Iím probably suposed to use one.
Old 12-26-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Took out my hard drive yesterday and have the docking station on order. Knock on wood, hopefully the hard drive is okay and the data inside can be transferred over.

But man, it was so dusty inside the PC.
Old 12-26-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

USB2 is over 10x slower (480 mbps, or ~40 mb/sec real-world transfer rate) than USB3 (= 5 Gbps theoretical). The difference is HUGE.

Even if your HD is not all OK, there are programs like Testdisk that are very good at recovering files off a corrupted drive.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-18, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it is an IDEA/PATA hard drive, then USB 2.0 is more than the drive can supply.
Old 12-27-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I got the docking station today and it was a disaster. It couldn't read the drive, it also froze and then it crapped out my computer's wi-fi connection. I tried twice and same thing happened both times.

What I mean about crapping out my Wi-Fi, after the damn thing froze, my new computer could no longer detect my Wi-Fi network. I had to plug in the Ethernet cable to get internet back up.

It got so bad that I had to do a re-set my computer. I think I have to go to Best Buy and let the Geek squad hopefully figure it out. I don't want to try a third time and let it happen again.
Old 12-28-18, 04:30 PM

Sorry to hear it didn't work. If it couldn't read the drive, then the drive might be a goner. Usually, if it's just some software problems or a few corrupt sectors that prevent you from booting, you should still be able to access some of the files. But if you can't read anything, it might be a physical problem and it's completely bricked.

However, that doesn't explain the wi-fi problem. I don't understand why that would happen.

Have you ever heard of NextDoor.com? It's a social networking site that's limited to people in your neighborhood. People post things like local news, for sale items, lost pet reports, etc. But people also post work requests for stuff like "I need a Handyman", "I need to hire someone to move a piano", "Can anyone fix my computer", etc. You might be able to find a computer expert in your local area that wants to make a few bucks for some quick work.
Old 01-01-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got the bad news today. Geek Squad could not do a backup on my old drive. Looks like it's a brick. In their notes, it said the drive would not mount and there were errors. Shame. I had a lot of pictures, music and videos on there. I also had some saved PDFs, Excel and Word files. Now I'm kind of bummed I didn't do a backup due to the age of my computer.

Most (probably 95%) of my photos are backed up on my google photos drive and Shutterfly.

However, the videos (some movies and TV) and all the music are gone.

Seems like the Hard Drive was the reason for my Blue Screen that appeared in my initial post.

Best Buy did say there is one last alternative, but it's super expensive. I could look into doing a data recovery. But, for the material I have on the drive, it sounds like the expense is not worth it. They said it's a few hundred dollars. Probably around $300-500 at most places including them.
Old 01-01-19, 09:44 PM

I'd say $300 to $500 is cheap, most so-called data recovery "experts" work in a clean-room environment, and charge $300 to $500 per hour for what they euphemistically call "bench time."

Ultimately, their game is a psychological one. They surreptitiously try to determine how "important" your lost data is to you. They psych you out by then charging $1000s if the data is critical, but magically that figure might decrease by a factor of ten if you say your data is "not too important."

Their profit margins, of course, are through the roof.

I'd say avoid them if at all humanly possible. Try not to give in to their game.

I was actually able to recover all the data from two HDs which "didn't mount" and it took 80 to 90 hours per drive, but with Linux tools, it was possible, and the cost to me was FREE and some aggravation. Thankfully, the data wasn't a life-or-death situation, and the end result was 100% recovery
Old 01-01-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May be too late for this to help, but FWIW I had an external HDD that crapped out on me. I couldn't get anything off of it or even have it be recognized via normal methods, but I had success getting most of the data off of it using Recuva which is pretty impressive software, especially for being freeware. Might be worth a shot.

Also, if you want to try hooking it up to your PC again without risking your main setup, you could boot to a Linux Mint "live thumb drive".
Old 01-11-19, 08:29 AM

That is the problem with the Windows. It mostly happens due to crash in the disk space or memory and there is no issue with your PC. It will run fine when you will install new Windows in it. This is the feature of Windows 10 and it occurs when the Windows see some issue in the PC.
Old 01-11-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have given up all hope and are about to scrap the drive there is one last thing to try. Put the drive in a ziplock bag and then another and put it in a freezer for a half a day. Put it back in the computer and see if it boots. Quickly recover what you can. If itís a fairly old drive there is a chance this may work.
Old 01-11-19, 07:17 PM

... a small, small chance. The "freezer trick" has been mostly disproven. DO NOT DO IT unless you're absolutely willing to trash the drive. As in, it was already in the trash, and you're willing to roll the dice on a 1% change in a "What the hell! Let's give it a try!" moment.
Old 01-12-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
... a small, small chance. The "freezer trick" has been mostly disproven. DO NOT DO IT unless you're absolutely willing to trash the drive. As in, it was already in the trash, and you're willing to roll the dice on a 1% change in a "What the hell! Let's give it a try!" moment.
From personal experience it does work but only on old drives. The newer driver have better lubricants and ďparkĒ the reader head so there is less chance of stuck platters or physicaly damage.
Old 01-17-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope. Not doing some cheesy freezer trick. I've already taken the hard drive out of my old computer and threw away the screws that held it in there. So there's no going back to using my old Tower PC.

If there is a legitimate and inexpensive way to recover my data, I would be open to hearing it. But, from the sound of things, that's probably not in the cards. I have no interest in spending $500+ for data recovery. It's not worth that expense. I think at this point the HD is likely a brick.
Old 02-08-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/

Any heard about this company? They are based in my neck of the woods in Los Angeles. They claim they can recover data for about $300.

I read a lot of the comments on their Facebook page and they seem to have gotten some really positive remarks.

As I said, I would like to try to recover the items lost of my hard drive. But, $300 is a lot, but I know data recovery can cost lots more. Wondering if it's worth the trouble sending it to these folks.
Old 02-08-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never heard of that company, but they look interesting. They do have a rate calculator:
https://www.300dollardatarecovery.co...covery-prices/

Guessing at your answers, I got around $375 ($300 recover, $75 for a 1TB transfer drive, in person drop off/pickup). There's also some fine print that you're on the hook for at least $100 if they manage to recover any files, even if you don't pay the full price to get them.
If we recover less than 99% of the sectors on your drive, you may decline our recovery for a $100 labor fee. If we recover no files, there is no charge (excluding up-front fees).
It's an interesting pricing model. I'm guessing they figured out that the flat rates cover something like 98% of situations, with a healthy margin, and then for the 2% that cost more, they take hit because they're making enough from the other jobs.

BTW, when Geek Squad said it won't mount, was the drive visible at all to the PC? Because sometimes it's possible to make an image of all or most of the drive, and then recover files from the image. This typically requires at least twice the space of the drive, since you're making a drive image that's the same size as the drive, then recovering files off the image to somewhere.

I've done this a lot using ddrescue, using the guide here:
Ddrescue - ForensicsWiki

It works best with the drive connected internally to a PC via SATA/PATA, not through a dock. The software has to directly read the drive. I typically end up booting from a "Live USB" Linux with ddrescue installed on it.

The last drive I tried to rescue, I tried out this HDDLiveCD on a USB Flash, using the included HDDSuperClone tool. It's a little more advanced than ddrescue, and there's a paid version that does even more.
HDDLiveCD - SD Computing Service

Unfortunately, the drive I was attempting to recover just got progressively worse as the recovery software kept trying to read the drive. So this is a risk of using any software at home, since the problem could just get worse and you're jeopardizing the chances a professional recovery will work.

I've also been interested in the Rapidspar tool. Now, this thing costs at least $2,000, but it's aimed at IT shops doing data recovery. You may be able to call around and see if any shop has one, although I don't know if their rates are going to be less than $300DR
https://rapidspar.com/
Old 02-10-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. Not doing some cheesy freezer trick. I've already taken the hard drive out of my old computer and threw away the screws that held it in there. So there's no going back to using my old Tower PC.

If there is a legitimate and inexpensive way to recover my data, I would be open to hearing it. But, from the sound of things, that's probably not in the cards. I have no interest in spending $500+ for data recovery. It's not worth that expense. I think at this point the HD is likely a brick.
Just curious - did you try the free recovery software I brought up in this post?
Old 02-10-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Just curious - did you try the free recovery software I brought up in this post?
No I did not. For the record, it's an Internal hard drive and that method probably won't work.
Old 02-11-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No I did not. For the record, it's an Internal hard drive and that method probably won't work.
Have you tried putting the HDD in a USB adapter of some sort and plugging it into another PC? Does it register at all?
Old 02-11-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Have you tried putting the HDD in a USB adapter of some sort and plugging it into another PC? Does it register at all?
Yes, I bought a docking station and it wouldn't read it and crashed my new PC.

Old 02-19-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do you hear any weird clicking sounds from the drive? Kind of like a clicky-static type sound running over and over (kind of like a record sounds in the beginning 10 seconds or so)? I've really never heard of stuff like this happening that much these days. Drives are usually more solid, even the 3.5" magnetic drive.

Also, have you scanned the drive for malware/virus before you even attempt to retrieve anything. Run an AV on that drive. If you have folders, do it folder by folder so you can possibly narrow it down versus just letting it sit and it crashes hours later.
Old 02-19-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The HD in my laptop made a noise like that. It was really faint, and sounded like a sort of scratching/scraping sound.

Did that for a while until I eventually replaced it with an SSD.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.